TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Hey Dollywood fans, quick question for you. My wife and I are planning a trip down to the park this weekend, and we're looking for a bit of advice. We take a backpack with us when we go to amusement parks for things like my camera, our wallets, phones, keys, etc. I know there are several lockers around the park for $1.00 and $0.50 per use, but are there storage bins at the rides for loose articles like backpacks as well?

Hey Dollywood fans, quick question for you. My wife and I are planning a trip down to the park this weekend, and we're looking for a bit of advice. We take a backpack with us when we go to amusement parks for things like my camera, our wallets, phones, keys, etc. I know there are several fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo around the park for $1.00 and $0.50 per use, but are there storage bins at the rides for loose articles like backpacks as well?

Yes, pretty sure every ride has storage bins.

They just published an article on the coaster's opening and Dollywood,

in our local paper's weekend travel section.

A very good article, with a lot of "Coasters for Dummies" info. about

some of the elements (and coaster riding in general) in this particular one.

But the Best Quote though was from Dolly herself....

I definitely ain't ridin' that....

You don't want to see what a real bald eagle looks like.

Love her. Always genuine.

Hey Dollywood fans, quick question for you. My wife and I are planning a trip down to the park this weekend, and we're looking for a bit of advice. We take a backpack with us when we go to amusement parks for things like my camera, our wallets, phones, keys, etc. I know there are several fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo around the park for $1.00 and $0.50 per use, but are there storage bins at the rides for loose articles like backpacks as well?

Yes, pretty sure every ride has storage bins.

I can confirm this. River Battle's boats also have covered storage containers onboard for stowing your gear (and keeping it dry).

The only ride where this will be a problem is on the Mountain Slidewinder. You will have to use a locker as you load at the top of the mountain and unload at the bottom. It is not a full-circuit ride. Besides that, yes you will be able to place your backpack in storage bins on every other ride.

Chuck (cfc) is correct about Dollywood's rain/storm policy. Not sure the exact radius (7-10 miles?) but if there is lightning in the area, rides will close down.

Has anyone ever stayed at Bear Run falls condos, or have any idea how they are? The family and I are heading down that way hopefully in late August and that seems to be a pretty damn good deal on a nice lodging place? Also, how close is all the touristy stuff located to each other. Once I arrive at my destination I hate to get in the car and drive too far to get to stuff.

SkyZip has not opened yet as far as I know.

The Bluegrass and Barbecue Festival is great! I actually didn't realize they were having it so early this year, it was in late August last year!

There will be lots of bluegrass bands and of course barbecue will be featured throughout the park. In the past, they have had a pig roast so that can be quite a sight seeing an entire pig roasting over an open fire. To me though the highlight is the salsa stand! They have a ton of salsas for you to sample and buy at all degrees of spiciness.

I haven't heard when it will reopen. They were building a new entrance for the ride with its old building being turned into a drink station. They were also going to have to reroute how you got to the first platform as Wild Eagle has taken over the old path.

Yes, it is an upcharge. Exact costs are unknown at this time as Dollywood has taken over ownership of it and will no longer be run by an outside company. There is a good chance it will be cheaper than it was when it last operated as a result.

I have a question which is not necessarily fully directed at Wild Eagle; however, since it contains the element in question and is new, I thought that my question might get noticed here. My question is in reference to the fairly recent addition (for B&M) of the highly slanted final break run. I first noticed this on some of the newer Wild Mouse coasters; however, I did not see it on a 'big' coaster until Diamondback at KI; and I am now seeing it on many of B&M's coasters. Is this feature used solely to 'clear' the block faster without expending energy with tires? I mean obviously, most break runs have a slight slant to them; however, on Diamondback and other recent B&M creations the angle seems VERY steep. Is there some other function that I am missing?

Slanted brake runs allow the train to enter the brakes at a lower speed, so less effort is needed to slow the (heavy, in B&M's case) trains. It also means that gravity moves the trains when the brakes are released, rather than requiring friction wheels, which in turn require an energy input to rotate. So yes, the slanted brake runs are more energy-efficient than a flat one! And, in the case of Wild Eagle, they also happen to be necessary to get the train back down the hill without starting the ride all over again (though that option seems exciting)!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say a replacement for Timber Tower,but go check out the Crazy Rumor/Idea Super Thread.On Screamscape I saw a report in the rumors section that said that Dollywood was looking at the 2013 RMC project at Silver Dollar City,and if it is sucessful they might consider using them for a new wood coaster in a couple years.

I saw this story over the weekend and i thought this was an interesting comment from Dolly...

Just like the Imagination Library, Dollywood continues to grow. This year, the Wild Eagle takes flight and more plans could be on the way.

"We got a lot more property to build on. We try to brainstorm every year to see what we're going to come up with next," said Parton. "We spent a lot of money on this ride so we may kinda keep everything up to date and stop a year or so," she laughed.

http://www.wcyb.com/news/31050800/detail.html

Dolly was in town for the Pigeon Forge parade and to open up the new festival at Dollywood.

Whatever attraction that is in our future will be at least 2014 or 2015, in order to focus on upkeep. That's probably a wise thing to do.

I was at the park Saturday, which happened to be homecoming weekend for Dolly Parton so she was at the park that day. It took us 45 minutes just to drive in and park because the traffic was so bad. We ended up parking in the overflow (Splash Country) lot. As soon as I got in the park I headed straight to Wild Eagle and waited just over an hour even with the line spilling out onto the main walkway. I liked it quite a bit, but in my opinion Tennessee Tornado and Thunderhead are still the best coasters. Tennessee Tornado was using the full queue mid-afternoon (something I never thought I would see), but later in the day it died down to just a walk-on. I got 3 rides on Thunderhead as well. Overall it ended up being a good day despite the HUGE crowds.