Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Pg 667: Six Flags is planning to operate Darien Lake again
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 am

SbSteveZ wrote:Is there something wrong with fans of a park being excited to see a major company step in?

There's a difference between that and people who have entirely unrealistic expectations. It's a small market park. It has 8 coasters including an awesome Intamin hyper and a brand new coaster that just opened one a month or two ago which is really impressive considering the market that they're in. Would it be nice if they added a second train on some coasters? Sure. Does it really need to other than a small handful of days out of the year? Not really.

None of the posts in this thread are about the brand new, super-fun coaster or the fact that the park is finally getting a Halloween event again (which could be a gateway to Holiday in the Park down the line as they're already pushing the schedule). People posted about those awesome things for like 2 seconds but they've already moved on and they're all back to posting their Darien lake to-do lists. That happens occasionally in every thread, but this fanbase takes it to the next level.

Darien Lake actually really surprised me, I like the park a lot. I feel like a lot of the people in this thread fail to appreciate the park that they have because everyone wants it to be something it's never going to be.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby xtylerx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 am

coasterbill wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:
Darien Lake actually really surprised me, I like the park a lot. I feel like a lot of the people in this thread fail to appreciate the park that they have because everyone wants it to be something it's never going to be.

Its a lot better than the other options around western NY that is for sure. but i agree people rather complain about what the park doesn't have rather than appreciating what the park does have. Like who doesn't want to see new flats or better coaster operations? Just because the park needs to be fixed up doesn't mean SF is gonna do it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dnn2031 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 am

SbSteveZ wrote:Since six flags left the only major investments seen were that of the Hershend era (which was wonderful) and two small coasters - one of which - people have been complaining about since it opened for being too small.

Most of those expansions had a substantial part of the bill foot by "cheap" CNL. And glossing over the major expansion of the water park and Motocoaster cost a lot more than Blast Off and a few cheapie rides for Rowdy's Ridge. Even then Herschend with all of its own supposedly deep pockets saw a lot of coasters still running only one train.

On another note, no Skywarp but there is a new ride coming. Talk is possibly a Star Flyer/Sky Screamer of some dimension.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Haymaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:03 am

dnn2031 wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:Since six flags left the only major investments seen were that of the Hershend era (which was wonderful) and two small coasters - one of which - people have been complaining about since it opened for being too small.

Most of those expansions had a substantial part of the bill foot by "cheap" CNL. And glossing over the major expansion of the water park and Motocoaster cost a lot more than Blast Off and a few cheapie rides for Rowdy's Ridge. Even then Herschend with all of its own supposedly deep pockets saw a lot of coasters still running only one train.

On another note, no Skywarp but there is a new ride coming. Talk is possibly a Star Flyer/Sky Screamer of some dimension.

CNL/PARC also painted Viper, Boomerang and the Giant Wheel.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby rjr19 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:03 am

dnn2031 wrote:

dnn2031, Do you work at the park? If not, where is all the information you have coming from, such as Viper’s second train almost ready, and this new ride?
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby SbSteveZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:08 pm

dnn2031 wrote:

My main mention of Herschend was because of their attention to detail. Notice both areas they revamped were not just asphalt pads, and they added more character to areas of the park that I’d say now are still the more attractive parts of the park itself. They added a nice family area and a shot tower that this area is lacking with the one at Fantasy Island not existing anymore and the one at MarineLand almost not worth it due to the cost of the park and the lack of attractions. I understand that CNL footed the bill for Motocoaster and Splashtown - yet it seems when anyone complains about the condition of the park, CNL is almost always to blame. Even when hershend was in charge, people would say “if Hershend could just make the investments they wanted to Darien Lake would be so much better” or something along those lines.

My personal opinion is that thus far I have enjoyed the Hershend era more than any of the post six flags eras in the park - as short lived as they may have been. Maybe new Six Flags can change that, maybe not. Either way I’m sure I’ll still visit next year, and I’ll still have fun - as I always do. It’s a nice park for what it is, I feel like bill is right in saying that people don’t appreciate it as much as they should
Total Coasters: 84 Total Steel: 72 Total Wood: 12
Last Coaster: Leviathan @ Wonderland
80TH COASTER: The Beast @ Kings Island
RIDE ON!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BWALL004 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm

coasterbill wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:Is there something wrong with fans of a park being excited to see a major company step in?

There's a difference between that and people who have entirely unrealistic expectations. It's a small market park. It has 8 coasters including an awesome Intamin hyper and a brand new coaster that just opened one a month or two ago which is really impressive considering the market that they're in. Would it be nice if they added a second train on some coasters? Sure. Does it really need to other than a small handful of days out of the year? Not really.

None of the posts in this thread are about the brand new, super-fun coaster or the fact that the park is finally getting a Halloween event again (which could be a gateway to Holiday in the Park down the line as they're already pushing the schedule). People posted about those awesome things for like 2 seconds but they've already moved on and they're all back to posting their Darien lake to-do lists. That happens occasionally in every thread, but this fanbase takes it to the next level.

Darien Lake has the potential to be so much more. I worked there in 97 (Mind Eraser) and 99 (Superman) and I’m telling you there were days that you couldn’t see the ground there were so many people. I still remember Darien Lake being featured on the Travel Channel.

If Six Flags put forth the effort, DL could become a major attraction again.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

The park theoretically could become bigger.
The small market argument is pretty worthless, when you consider the locations of parks like CP, Dollywood, SDC, and SFNE. All parks in small market, with larger markets in a 2+ hour radius.

The best thing Darien Lake has going for it is the onsite hotel and campground which turn it into a destination for people from the Golden Horshoe, Buffalo-Niagara, Rochester, and Syracuse metros.

Is this likely, probably not. But saying Darien Lake can only stay a mediocre regional park isn't true either.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Two of the parks you mentioned are in major tourist traps so let’s ignore those. Darien Lake isn’t Cedar Point and never will be and Six Flags New England is in a very densely populated part of the country and it pulls from Boston. Come on...

Darien Lake isn’t ever going to be that but for it’s market size it has a very nice collection of rides and attractions.

If you expect Six Flags to step in and try to make this park anything more than it is then you don’t have realistic expectations. This is not a company that’s going to make the kinds of investments necessary to grow attendance at an accelerated rate and if they were going to drop that kind of money they would be wise to drop it somewhere else (see Six Flags America which is in a massive population center that they’re barely even attempting to tap into). Darien Lake has a stronghold on it’s modest market and they can subsidize it a little by trying to pull people in for the concert venue and campground but let’s be reasonable here.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 pm

I think everyone is also forgetting the bigger picture: Six Flags did not buy Darien Lake. They bought the rights to operate it. That alone likely severely limits the amount of capital expenditure that is possible, let alone probable.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 132
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini, Cedar Creek Mine Ride

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!