California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg.932 - Coverage of CGA's Haunt Media Event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterBeagle » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 am

Was there any tpr members at the park today? Well yesterday techniqully.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm going to attempt this weekend, especially since I don't believe there's any special events going on. Also curious as to how the GCI site is coming along.

And I thought I'd share this fun clip, a revisit to my LittleBigPlanet 2 Toy Factory-inspired level:

YouTube Videolink

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby robman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 pm

^That's awesome!

So today I went to the park and got there around 2:15, the park was actually crowded for a Wednesday I use to go on in the middle of the week because there would usually be more less lines but today was not the case. There are actually a few things to report, I will mostly just add captions to the pictures but I would like to note a few things here. The wood for the new maze is behind the Action Theater you can see it if you ride Vortex. Also Grizzly's dispatches have seem to gotten better! I timed a 1:15 from unload to load!

Now onto the pictures!
IMG_0900.jpg
So far it looks like the "Onion Ring" is done as far as cement. The "Drumstick" still needs a little more work done.
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0901.jpg
Overview of all the wood. They were actually moving things around and organizing.
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0903.jpg
Over at Tiki Twirl they added these new God signs, I think it adds a nice touch!
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0904.jpg
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0905.jpg
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0906.jpg
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0907.jpg
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0908.jpg
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0909.jpg
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0910.jpg
I think this is going to be the new area for the Haunt building that was found on the permit page. It sits behind First Aid and the former area of Invertigo lifts.
Viewed 4292 times
asdfgh.png
Here is an aerial view, seems like a good spot for a maze.
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0914.jpg
When exiting Grizzly I noticed a new type of brace going on part of the turn around and some new beams. Anybody know or have an idea why? (Sorry about my finger in the shot.)
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0915.jpg
Noticed they were working on this building and gutting it out. (Near Boomerang Bay) My guess this is for Halloween and they will have the talking pumpkin show here. Or something completely different.
Viewed 4292 times
IMG_0911.jpg
And the Vortex wheelchair lift is still not done, I would have thought it would be completed by now.
Viewed 4292 times

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Is that wooden beam blocking the exit path? It also looks like some more wood is going up in the path, possibly for the queue? (As that's what it appears to be to me). Looks like the drum stick still has a bit more work to go before it can finally be cemented in, as there's a bunch of rebar sitting next to it. It has me wondering though, is portions of this ride going to be on cement slabs? When looking at the Apocalypse construction, it appeared that 1 solid slab was made while with Coaster Man Dumping Waffle, it looks like only certain portions will have the pads.

Also, I still have yet to ride Tiki Twirl this season as the lines have been long and since there's a lack of shade, waiting in a long line doesn't sound to pleasant. Maybe this weekend I'll finally get my 2012 rides on Tiki. Those signs look pretty cool, much better than the empty frames that had been there the past 1.5 seasons.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby maui21 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Looking at the new ride and how it being build my only guess is that the big question mark is the hills of the ride

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm back with another trip report and great day out at the park. It was most definitely another busy one. Not as intense as the previous visit but it was pretty close. I got there close to 10:50 or so and decided to take a walk by the construction site before heading on Flight Deck. I overheard some employees talking about "AU13", whatever that means. A bit puzzled and curious, I headed off to Flight Deck for the first ride, about a 25 minute line already. After FD, I met up with Robman where we headed to Orbit as it had no line (and had some confused GP wondering where the entrance is). From there I was talking to Robman about last time how we met up with Flagg O'Dim and his brother in the general area we were passing through and sure enough, they're sitting at one of the planters, getting ready for the water park. We joined them, a total of 5 of us.

Wanting to try this last time but having the slide being 'down' we didn't get to so we made up for it today. We got all 5 of us on the Didgeridoo raft slide and wow was that a crazy ride! Normally I just have a real gentle cruise down as it's normally my cousin and I. Throw in 3 more bodies and we had airtime, wall time, waterfalls gushing up and over behind those of us up on the wall, hitting those facing upward. I will admit, I was actually getting a bit worried! When I hit the walls, part of the raft was poking above the slide's walls and only thing keeping me on that raft was hanging on! I was hoping I wouldn't end up landing on any of the rest of us on the slide.

From there, we hit up the Boomerango for some airtime and the body slides (did both this time as there was no lines for it). No backflips or any of that craziness this time, though I did end up barreling through the straight slide and pulsing out a giant wave. From there, still soaked we met up with 1 more friend, one I met through the CGA facebook page and headed off to the Rapids. Due to the temperatures we had today, water rides were a must. Heading back towards the back of the park I decided to check out the Water Maze and then soak up the seats on Peanut's Pirates. Prior to changing back to my dry clothes and splitting off, Psycho Mouse for some random reason had almost no lines. This was a rarity for being around 2:00 in the afternoon so riding was a must.

Fast forward to after changing and lunch. We decided to check out the happenings at Grizzly since there was some mysterious construction going on. Let's say that they fixed up the queues and is a huge improvement. There's no more of having 2 stop points and taking up the courtyard space. There are now 3 openings now: exit, entrance, and Fast Lane. Previously, entrance and exit shared openings and even the path for a portion of it. The walkway was widened somehow and separation was made, thus taking the cluster**** out of the queue.

Coaster construction: not much has changed since Robman's TR the other day. Rebar in the drumstick pad, cemented 'curly fry' pad. Also, it looks like they're getting the parking area/storage area prepped as some stuff was moved around. Otherwise, that was pretty much it.

Other construction (??): Robman pointed out some work going on behind the Invertigarden and today from Grizzly we noticed that the area was all leveled out. This is also right directly behind the employee cafe. I have a feeling that this metal storage/special occasion shed will be situated here.

I ended my day with Flight Deck where it could have initially been a 25 minute wait. Since I wasn't in a big hurry I decided to wait for the front row which spanned out to about 40 minutes. Was a fun way to end the day! Now some photos!

Random notes:
-What is AU13 that I was hearing about today? I have no clue, am now curious!
-Highlight of the day was the crazy wall time that had a little bit of airtime mixed in with it
-Grizzly actually didn't appear to hit that 4:00 dispatch time mark!
-Drop Tower's still only running 5 cabins.
IMG_1020.jpg
Rise and shine with some long-ish lines!
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1022.jpg
This is what the Grizzly plaza now looks like. I like what they have done, no more pulsing people up in sections.
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1023.jpg
Behind the Invertigarden. What's going on??
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1025.jpg
Coaster construction/prep. Starting off with parking lot this time.
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1028.jpg
The food-shaped pads, not much has changed from the other day from what I can tell...perhaps more rebar has been laid out.
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1026.jpg
Check out that lot! This was later in the day.
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1027.jpg
Random Peanuts action down at the plaza! I think Nibbler's somewhere down there!
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1031.jpg
Some more rides on FD, when it decided to go into 'spoiled brat' mode and get stuck. Luckily it was back up and running within 10 minutes. In the mean time, the line moved quite a bit as people left.
Viewed 3235 times
IMG_1035.jpg
Yup, that's a wrap! Thanks for reading!
Viewed 3235 times
fdnight.jpg
G'night Flight Deck see you in a couple weeks!
Viewed 3235 times
airtimeboomerango.jpg
Forgot to add this to the TR, some of the airtime to be had on DownUnder Thunder (Flagg O'Dim and his brother prepping for lift-off!)
Viewed 3213 times

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

I must have missed it. When did they change the Grizzly sign?

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Nibbler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:46 am

I was down there, just a little bit more south-side of that picture ;)

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby matteocrepaldi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 am

It's good to see that construction on the GCI has finally started! =)
Ckeck out My Awesome Coaster Adventure! Lots of photos from the best European amusement parks!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby robman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:54 am

It was a really fun day, also got some bad sunburns on my feet where I forgot to put sunscreen. The scariest part of the water slide for me was I had no handles! So I just tried to stick my legs out and plant my feet into the raft so I don't end up on someones lap!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!