California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 898 - June 8th Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: The California's Great America Discussion Thread

Postby KCForce » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 pm

My gut feeling is that there is a slim chance the park will be saved, but I'm not going to count on it at this point. Though the website for the new company doesn't seem (I didn't look beyond the homepage) to be touting it's latest purchase. But who knows, I've been wrong before. And I'd LIKE to be wrong this time. I just can't shake that uneasy feeling.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Nothing is being touted yet because it still has to go through city approval first...It would be like touting that you got a new job when you only had an interview. We should expect to see some more info at the close of the 4th quarter as far as finalization goes.

I do admit, JMA's site doesn't look very theme park-ish. Being a graphic artist, I am curious how the park branding is going to go when the park opens for 2012, as well as their site design...(Something I personally would not mind getting into, designing park brochures, etc, etc...)

Also, looks like Gilroy Gardens is also part of the deal according to this:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2011/09/19/cedar-fair-says-gilroy-gardens-part.html

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby SKULLY » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Just to throw it out there, I have been to two of their ski resorts and they appeared to be kept up pretty well. From the looks of it, they HAVE invested quite a bit into these two resorts so I don't see why they would feel any different about a theme park. In addition, unlike many ski areas, these two lacked the posh shopping villages that appear at the bases of many other ski resorts these days so they appear dedicated to the core product that a property offers. If they can run a theme park as well as a ski area then this place in in good hands. After visiting the park last year and experiencing its current state, I am very happy about this news.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 pm

I've been scouring the internet to read different news articles (most are just copy and paste) but did find this line of text interesting:

JMA could begin operating the park in the final three months of the year, although, as a real estate company, the outfit could retain an experienced park operator, including Cedar Fair, to continue running Great America. The company, perhaps best known for its Lake Tahoe resorts such as Alpine Meadows and Homewood, says it will keep all of Great America's current employees.

If I'm seeing this right, it looks like Cedar Fair could still have some influences on this. I could be 100% wrong though. I would honestly like to read what JMA says in terms of plans and their acquiring of CGA.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby 154bmag » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 pm

SKULLY wrote:Just to throw it out there, I have been to two of their ski resorts and they appeared to be kept up pretty well. From the looks of it, they HAVE invested quite a bit into these two resorts so I don't see why they would feel any different about a theme park. In addition, unlike many ski areas, these two lacked the posh shopping villages that appear at the bases of many other ski resorts these days so they appear dedicated to the core product that a property offers. If they can run a theme park as well as a ski area then this place in in good hands. After visiting the park last year and experiencing its current state, I am very happy about this news.

Maybe so, but this is CGA, not that they cant go a good job, but Great America and a ski resort are kinda different from each other, its like Apple making a video game console, OH WAIT they did, and we all now what happened there
I think we can set our differences behind us...for science...you monster.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby SKULLY » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 pm

154bmag wrote:
SKULLY wrote:Just to throw it out there, I have been to two of their ski resorts and they appeared to be kept up pretty well. From the looks of it, they HAVE invested quite a bit into these two resorts so I don't see why they would feel any different about a theme park. In addition, unlike many ski areas, these two lacked the posh shopping villages that appear at the bases of many other ski resorts these days so they appear dedicated to the core product that a property offers. If they can run a theme park as well as a ski area then this place in in good hands. After visiting the park last year and experiencing its current state, I am very happy about this news.

Maybe so, but this is CGA, not that they cant go a good job, but Great America and a ski resort are kinda different from each other, its like Apple making a video game console, OH WAIT they did, and we all now what happened there

Perhaps, but I need to feel positive about something tonight. Maybe I'll change it from they will run a theme park well to they should be able to run a theme park well.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby jab88 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 pm

On the subject of the stadium and it's plans, here are some of the actual site plans from online, well one isn't, I just moved the stadium over onto the overflow lot in photoshop, but the other two are from online.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby laqueefa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:45 pm

SharkTums wrote:Since SetgoGuy didn't actually answer my question at all and just copy and pasted the same stuff, I went and looked at the website for JMA myself. (Seriously, Setgo, just please never post in a thread I post in again, thanks!)

So looking at the site there's a SMALL chance they MAY want to run an amusement park, but moreso I agree with the others who see them turning the area into more of an entertainment leisure type place to complement the future 49ers stuff next door.

If and when the new stadium is built, I could see a company like this possibly getting into a licensing deal with the NFL and/or any other major sport association to help create a sports themed park. It would definitely help money & promotion wise, and could also give the park a unique spin. Plus they could sell packages for games/park entry. Just a thought... a thought I kinda hate :butt:
Tigga, please!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby CoasterBeagle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 pm

^thats what I was thinking

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 am

I really don't want CGA to get too much football theming. Just to have plush footballs as a prize for games is okay. Though, just say re-theming Planet Snoopy to a football theme or re-theme other rides such as Survivor or Top Gun/Flight Deck would just be too much. They can put some things dedicated to football in the park, but I don't want to see ANY rides re-themed to football. Plus, I hope they will build the stadium on the overflow parking lot because if it is on the main parking, it would be a mad house in the main parking lot and the overflow parking would always be full, then they need a tram like in the Six Flags parks to transport people to the park since it is a bit far to walk.
1:El Toro, 2:Xcelerator, 3:Gold Striker, 4:Manta (SD), 5:El Loco (Vegas), 6:Montezooma, 7:YOLOcoaster, 8:Kingda Ka, 9:Bizarro (GA), 10:X2
What a season pass??

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!