TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

My family is taking a long weekend at various Dells water parks, and today as we came to Mt. Olympus at about 8:00 P.M., we saw a truck leaving full of yellow track from Opa. Thought somebody might be interested...

It got sold to a carnival after the incident. Nothing much else.

I know, I was just surprised it was still there this long after. The next day, I saw another truck leaving (and took a picture which I can post later if anybody cares) and saw the rest of the supports sitting in a back parking lot with trucks around them too. Should all be gone soon (if it's not already).

I was just thinking; it's been a long time since I've ridden the former Avalanche (currently Hellcat) at Timber Falls. From the rides I got on it during its first season it has remained my favorite wooden roller coaster in the midwest. Maybe Goliath will change that, but Alan Schilke would only be outdoing himself.

Has anyone been over that way recently and know how it's riding?

Question for everyone - where's the best place I can stay in the Dells that includes Mt. Olympus tickets? I'm coming through the area and don't want to miss the coasters while I'm here, but highly doubt the place is worth $100 between my boyfriend and I.

I know that Mt. Olympus has been buying motels under the Mt. Olympus Village name, and those rooms go for as low as $60 - my only question there would be what building to request, because I know certain ones were decent motels already and others haven't been cleaned since the 50s. We're not looking for anything lavish, but we're not trying to spend the night with moldy carpets and bed bugs either.

(I know some of this was just discussed on the last page, but not necessarily with Mt. Olympus tickets in mind. Tough to find a solid list of who offers those online!)

I was just thinking; it's been a long time since I've ridden the former Avalanche (currently Hellcat) at Timber Falls. From the rides I got on it during its first season it has remained my favorite wooden roller coaster in the midwest. Maybe Goliath will change that, but Alan Schilke would only be outdoing himself.

From what I've heard, The retracked barrel roll and turnaround are smooth. Everything else Mt. O Rough.

From what I've heard, The retracked barrel roll and turnaround are smooth. Everything else Mt. O Rough.

You're confusing Hades with Hellcat. Hellcat is down the street at Timber Falls.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are going to be traveling through the Dells in a couple of weeks. We have never been to Mt. Olympus, nor do we plan to ever return once we've been there.

I understand their coasters are rough, and we're willing to skip the worst of them (having paid only $14 each for tickets).

I heard that Hades 360 has had some re-tracking recently. Has anyone out there ridden it since then who can comment on its rideability?

The roughest woodies we have been on are Gwazi at BGT (as recently as March 2014, with the inoperable side in total decay, and in the back seat), and most of the woodies at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. (Oh and I forgot about that one spot on Rattler, before the re-make... never made it to SOBeast.)

How does Hades 360 measure up (in terms of roughness) since they retracked and switched to Timberliners?

Should we skip Zeus, or is it tolerable in the front car?

I'm thinking it will only take us a couple of hours to complete our visit, since we don't particularly like sketchy go-cart tracks or water parks). Does that sound like an appropriate amount of time to plan for?

We're also planning on stopping by Timber Falls and Little Amerrricka on our way to Gurnee. Any advice on the rideablilty of the coasters at those two places would be appreciated as well.

Thank you much!

A & J

^^ Hades360 rough after the Drop-O-Death, other than that, pretty nice.

^ Yes, haven't tried that row, yes. I just got on, the ride op didn't check if I'm old enough. I got four back row rides that day. maybe wearing certain clothes and growing some mustache may help.

Ah. You would think Mount O would have better things to do than enforcing an arbitrary rule which I imagine was not manufacturer-mandated.

• 4 weeks later...

So I swear every time I watch a YouTube video, this ad keeps showing up. Part of me wanted to laugh when I first saw this, but then I thought, why waste the money when your park has multiple issues that could probably use that money to fix them? Then I remembered, it's Mt. Olympus, so logical thought doesn't apply to this park. Anyways, the opening part of this ad is what makes me laugh. "The Mt. Olympus Experience". Perhaps some of you could enlighten on this "experience" this video speaks of?

• 4 weeks later...
Zeus was fine?

Did you ride Hades?

I rode Hades360 once a few weeks ago. The ride was pretty smooth to me. Now, if you are looking for a rough ride try Hellcat down the street. Even though it's rough, I still think Hades is bad ass. I haven't been on a more intense wooden rollercoaster in the Wisconsin/Illinois/Indiana/Missouri area.

Zeus was more bumpy to me than rough. It definitely was a bumpy ride, but it didn't shake you around too bad.

Hades 360 was really smooth. There is one part during the pre-lift segment where it punches you in the gut but that is just the design of the ride, not a reflection of the track.

Cyclops was amazing. Not really rough at all.

HellCat was horrible. Horrible. Horrible. That whole Timber Falls place was run down and had by far the worst employees of any park (if you can even call it that) I've been to. I wish they could take better care of an Alan Schilke creation, because the layout has potential.

Hades 360 was really smooth. There is one part during the pre-lift segment where it punches you in the gut but that is just the design of the ride, not a reflection of the track.

HellCat was horrible. Horrible. Horrible. That whole Timber Falls place was run down and had by far the worst employees of any park (if you can even call it that) I've been to. I wish they could take better care of an Alan Schilke creation, because the layout has potential.

I have to agree on that statement after being to the Dells last month. I rode Hades 360 and the worse part about that ride was the long time I had to wait in line, but I didn't let it get me down because I would ride it twice that day. As for Hellcat, I rode it three time, but I had to take long breaks in between those rides I order to recuperate.

One more thing - I was really impress how they ran their go-kart courses. Having one set of go karts race while the other set of go-karts load and unload was brilliant! Tis a pity that more parks aren't doing that - they just load and race a set of go-karts at one time.

I went to Mount Olypmus yesterday. They were open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. It was cold i when we arrived at 1230 p.m. There was more traffic initially. At about 3 p.m. it appeared that the lines, for whatever reason, had decreased by at least 1/3. Here are some very positive things from my experience:

1) Tickets are $10.00 each

2) You pay no parking fee.

3) Traffic was light. Their outside water park is closed.

4) You could actually get on Hades360 in less than half an hour. Sometimes the end of the line was halfway up the stairs, which equals about a 15-20 minute wait.

Cyclops lines were short. For almost the entire day our wait after getting off the ride was between 5 to 10 minutes.

Pegasus' lines were about the same.

The only negative thing was Zeus was down. Mechanical failure? For a wooden roller coaster and with the amount of money they generate I highly doubt it. I think the traffic was low enough that they didn't think they would need to run all of their roller coasters. Saves money on wear and tear to ride, workers etc etc.

I rode Cyclops ( 9 ) times, Hades360 ( 5 ) times, and Pegasus ( 3 ) times. For $10 that is a considerable value.

There are restaurants a few blocks down the street from Mount Olympus. The prices at Mount Olympus are high. We went to McDonalds down the street. It took ( 30 ) minutes for us to drive there, go through the drive through, eat, and then walk back inside the theme park. I saved at least $25 for each McDonalds visit. We went twice. $50 bucks saved by not eating inside Mount Olympus.

I went to Mt. Olympus again this weekend. I rented a two bedroom room with a small roll in bed along with entrance to their indoor water theme park and outdoor theme park for five people for Friday 09/19/14 and Saturday 09/20/14 for $103.00. That's basically $10 per person per day for entrance into the park and hotel. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

This is what I take is running every Friday for the rest of the year. Zeus, Cyclops, and Pegasus. Hades 360 was closed on Friday. If you have read about or experienced Mount Olympus during it's peak Summer days you will be pleasantly surprised by it's operations during the off-season in September. When we went this Friday there were about ( 40 ) cars in the parking lot. I would guess that there were about ( 200 ) people all together in the park. There may have been ( 50 ) people trying to get on their ( 3 ) running coasters at best Friday. For the most part you could get off and reride with little to no wait. Pretty bad a** in my opinion.

Zeus ( 6 rides ). I was disappointed that Zues was down last Saturday. I thought it was a better ride than it currently is. I was mistaken. The track needs to be refurbished. It is a very rough ride. The hill of doom you must climb followed by the stairs of doom leading up to the queque made this ride not a reride marathon Cyclops would ultimately become for me.

Cyclops ( 12 rides ). The lines are short. Rerides are allowed. The operator for this ride is awesome. He is laid back and allowed for rerides provided nobody else was trying to get on. Besides Pegasus the walk off the coaster and back on it is shorter and not as steep as Hades 360 or Zues. The buzz bars are awesome on this ride. It's a smooth ride. The drop of death is awesome! It appears to have been refurbished as the track prior to the drop of death is grey while the drop of death portion looks like they just chopped it off a tree.

One of the coolest things I like about the drop of death portion of Cyclops is it's presentation. There were always people constantly standing, watching, and often taking pictures of people coming down the drop. It's just such a bad a** roller coaster. Probably the best roller coaster under 2,000 feet in the midwest.

Pegasus ( 4 rides ). I have no idea why I rode this ( 4 ) times, especially considering that I had been on this before. I rode it because it's a wooden roller coaster. I rode it because I am a credit whore. I rode it because it was there.

Saturday was busier. I would say that there were approximately ( 4 ) times more people at Mount Olympus' outdoor theme park. Hades 360 is open on Saturday and Zues is closed. We arrived at Mount Olympus at 09:30 a.m. on Saturday. They open at 10:00 a.m. We were the first people to arrive at the park. Slowly people began to come. We immediately went to Hades 360.

Hades 360 ( 3 rides ). We got on the first ride of the day. During our ( 30 ) minute wait in the parking lot prior to them opening we didn't see them test Hades 360 once. I hope they tested it out before running it. We got on the first train to be dispatched and we waited for about ( 10 ) minutes prior to having the train dispatched. Evidently Mount Olympus the following rule: No trains will be sent unless the train is completely full. Unless there is a maintenance issue with any of the cars, in which case Mount Olympus retains the right to shut down that car for the entire day and thus slow down their operations even more.

Do not try to get on Hades 360 with uneven party numbers. Single riders often times have to get up out of their seat to sit with other single riders. So as a single rider don't expect to be able to ride in the back where it's bad a** and fun. You may have to be moved to the front with a stranger who has huge breasts or it could be a 8 year old boy who is riding a roller coaster for the first time. Breasts and young boys should never be written in the same sentence. Remember that.

Hades 360 is a great ride. It's not great enough for me to be willing to wait ( 30 ) minutes to get on it when I can walk down to Cyclops and get on it almost non-stop.

Cyclops ( 15 rides ). Yep yep.

P.S. On my first Hades 360 ride on Saturday my lap bar got stuck. I was stuck along with a younger girl in the first row. I was sitting there for 10 to 15 minutes while a maintenance guy tried to get me loose. He finally loosened it enough to where I could get out. Do not make eye contact with the public that has now swelled from nobody to being ( 3 ) rides deep. Walk of shame to Cyclops cometh.