Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 680 - Pandemonium Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby Ed Farmer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 pm

netdvn wrote:SFOG already has a drop tower and a hypercoaster anyway. No point in adding more of those.

As it stands, I think this place has one of the better collection of coasters around. It's so well-rounded, that it doesn't jump out at you right away that there isn't a launched coaster there. It's hard to believe that Viper has been gone for over 10 years. With the two Premier rides going in to the California Parks, that's what I would put my money on.
Been you to have any spike, man?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:40 pm

^The power grid that SFOG won't support a launched coaster, so that's why we don't have one.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 am

jzoole wrote:Sometimes I wonder if these future attraction surveys aren't necessarily market research for just the park they conduct them at, but if it's really research for future attractions in Six Flags parks in general. I also think that some of the potential rides they mention are not things they are actually considering in the future, but are just thrown in there to see what their guest demographic feels is "missing" or would be a draw for them. For instance, I really don't think that SFOG is actually considering adding a 400 ft drop tower, hypercoaster, or dolphin show, but they are using vague examples to see if people are more interested in shows/family attractions vs. big thrill rides.

Good point

There is too much red tape for the park to get a 400 foot tall ride. That can't be something they are considering, but would (as you said) indicate that guests are more in favor of thrill rides

Voxelmatic wrote:The return of Wheelie would be magnificent. It was one of the best rides in the park when I visited in 2011... I haven't been on an Enterprise since :(.

Wheelie hasn't gone anywhere - perhaps you misread his post.

Postby simaticable » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:02 am

^Wheelie can't go anywhere yet since the ride is one of the themed attractions for Fright Fest.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:20 am

Is it actually rethemed or are you just referring to the "Wheelie Orc Chefs" on the Fright Fest website?

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Postby simaticable » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 am

I'm referring to what the site said.

I annoy the Title Fairy every other week!

Postby Voxelmatic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:07 am

ParkTrips wrote:
Voxelmatic wrote:The return of Wheelie would be magnificent. It was one of the best rides in the park when I visited in 2011... I haven't been on an Enterprise since :(.

Wheelie hasn't gone anywhere - perhaps you misread his post.

I meant sometime in 2013 or 2014, after they put in the Sky Sleeper.
I'm probably TPR's biggest fan of Premier Rides.
I'm Batman.
I rode Skyrush before it was cool.
Check out my latest theme park adventure!

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby SFOG » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:47 am

We announced today that the park is removing Wheelie to make room for SkyScreamer in 2013.

Here is the press release with more information:

Six Flags Over Georgia to Retire Classic Wheelie Ride to Make Room for 2013 Thrills
Guests invited to pay final respects to spinning ride that debuted in 1977

AUSTELL, Ga. – October 10, 2012 – Six Flags Over Georgia will say goodbye to a classic thrill ride in 2012 as it makes room for the new-for-2013 SkyScreamer, the tallest ride ever to be built at the theme park. Wheelie, a ride that spins passengers around and around (and upside down), will be retired at the end of the 2012 season.

Wheelie was introduced at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1977 in the park’s U.S.A. section – close to where the mega-coaster Goliath now stands. In 1985, the ride was moved to its current location in the park’s Lickskillet section. Since its debut, Wheelie has thrilled millions of riders by spinning them horizontally and vertically through intense revolutions at high speeds.

Guests can pay their final respects by taking one last ride during the remaining weekends of Fright Fest. The ride will close to the public at the end of the season on October 28, 2012.

Wheelie is being removed to make room for the park’s newest thrill ride. SkyScreamer will spin guests in a 98-foot circle at speeds of 40 miles per hour atop a 24-story tower. Thirty-two guests board the ride and sit two across in open-air swings as they climb to the top of the tower while spinning round and round, high above the ground below.

2013 Six Flags Over Georgia Season Passes are now on sale at the lowest prices of the year and provide unlimited visits for the rest of the 2012 season (including Fright Fest) and all of 2013. For as low as $49.99 per pass, guests that purchase 4 or more will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Season Pass which includes free admission and free season parking to any Six Flags Theme Park with every pass. Offer expires October 28, 2012.

Fright Fest at Six Flags Over Georgia runs weekends only through October 28. Operating hours are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 10 p.m. on Sundays. The park is also open 6 p.m. to midnight on Friday, October 26. For more information about Six Flags Over Georgia visit sixflags.com/overgeorgia.

I know you guys never like to see parks remove rides (we don't either), but at some point, rides pass their expected life and, due to a number of reasons, must be retired. We are excited that we will be replacing Wheelie with another exciting thrill ride that will be a family favorite just like Wheelie has been since 1977.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby theonetheonlyJT » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:33 am

I'm just sad I never got to ride Wheelie and the one time I wanted to ride I didn't see the line right away and my family was hungry so we decided to buy ranch cheddar fries, darn you tasty fries.
Signature, I don't need no stinking signature!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Somewhere in Orlando, Tyler is crying!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!