Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby _koppen » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Well, for what it's worth, both Giant Discovery's in Scandinavia is themed after spiders..
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KPfreak519 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:43 pm

I don't really care if the new ride is indeed a Star Flyer, but I would really like to see another drop tower at some point in the future. This park needs another huge thrill ride like that.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

Go Hokies

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:41 pm

The Pitt Fall removal kind of makes me think about the Skycoaster. The park has always made changes around the lagoon, but for what it's worth it's always been sold out when I go to the park. I always wanted to see a dive coaster do a splash down in that lagoon. :)

Postby PennStater » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 am

New for 2012.... Black Widow, a Zamperla Giant Discovery (as expected by many)!

Official press release with the ride details here.

Ride height: 90'
Maximum swing height: 146'
Capacity of 40 riders per cycle

Something wicked is coming to Kennywood. With the start of the summer season a short five months away, Kennywood is proud to announce Black Widow as our newest ride for 2012!

“Black Widow will have a combination of height, airtime and thrill factor,” explains Kennywood General Manager Jerome Gibas. “Kennywood offers a great variety of ride experiences and Black Widow will provide our guests with a new dimension of thrill.”

The Black Widow experience starts with riders sitting in outward-facing suspended seats that form a giant circle with a total of 40 riders. With legs dangling freely, each rider is secured with a shoulder restraint. Then the thrill begins. The giant circle begins to swing in a pendulum motion while rotating counterclockwise. At the peak of the swing riders will reach a height of 146 feet above the ground and experience that feeling of weightlessness coveted by thrill seekers. The counterclockwise rotation and pendulum motion creates a variety of different sensations depending on a rider’s specific position. The combination of both elements results in a unique ride experience every time!

Black Widow will stand at 90 feet tall but will reach a height of 146 feet in full swing with an angle of 120 degrees from the center. The pendulum motion propels riders back and forth at 68 miles per hour.

While riding Black Widow, guests experience a one of a kind perspective of Lost Kennywood.

Black Widow will have a height requirement of 52” tall. Each of the 40 seats has an individual shoulder lap restraint. For pictures or more information on Black Widow’s manufacturer, Zamperla, visit http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/145/giant-discovery.html

Experience the excitement of Black Widow all summer long. Purchase a 2012 Kennywood Season Pass for only $84.99. Hurry before the sale ends.

For further information please visit http://www.kennywood.com or http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/145/giant-discovery.html

Has anyone been on one of these? To me, they look to be potentially more fun than a Huss Giant Frisbee. Any truth to that?

ADMIN EDIT: I went ahead and copied the press release so people didn't have to jump to see it. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 12.28.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 9.30.19 PM.png
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:31 pm.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:11 am

Great news! I love these rides.

The main differences I've noticed between the Giant Zamperla, Huss and Mondial versions are restraints. The Huss version seems the most constricting, including the view. Otherwise they're all awesome to look at and ride. I'd put the Mondial at the bottom since it isn't as tall I don't think.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby asimowalk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:26 am

It is taller than both the Mondial (115') and HUSS (138') versions, and I think the thin design of it makes it look even taller. Speaking of the restraints, Zamperla lists the minimum passenger height as 57" which is pretty tall when you compare 52" for both HUSS and Mondial.

Should be lots of fun!

Postby PennStater » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:34 am

^ Kennywood's press release states a 52" height requirement, though.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:09 am

That logo guarantees I'm not heading back to Kennywood anytime soon. That's something their marketing department should have -really- thought about in depth prior to creating it: Spiders are one of the most feared items in the USA- and I know for me I'd not be headed to a park where that was on an attraction.

Bad Kennywood. Bad bad Kennywood.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:58 am

Another ride to look forward to next year. I love Delirium and maXair so it will be great to see how the Zamperla version of the giant frisbee compares to the Huss models.

The best part of Pittfall was being on the Thunderbolt side as it felt like you were much higher than you really were. Now to swing over the valley below at 120 degrees will be really interesting next year.

Postby xChris125x » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm

QueerRudie wrote:That logo guarantees I'm not heading back to Kennywood anytime soon. That's something their marketing department should have -really- thought about in depth prior to creating it: Spiders are one of the most feared items in the USA- and I know for me I'd not be headed to a park where that was on an attraction.

Huh? I really see nothing wrong with naming a ride after something scary or intimidating. Isn't that the point?

Maybe this is more your style.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!