TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Superbowl Commercials 2014

SharkTums

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The commercials this year have been as bad as the game itself!

The John Stamos commercial was ok, as well as the Radio Shack and Doritos, but that's been about it. I was really disappointed! It seems like they've been getting worse every year.

Radio Shack and the Doritos time machine were the best for me. The rest were either totally awful or just forgettable. Not a great year for commercials. Or football.

dt

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot one other great ad...24 IS BACK, BITCHES! Seriously, this was better than the game. The only way they could have improved this ad was to have Jack Bauer snap someone's neck. I guess they're saving that for the season premiere...

dt

Edited by Meteornotes

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot one other great ad...24 IS BACK, BITCHES! Seriously, this was better than the game. The only way they could have improved this ad was to have Jack Bauer snap someone's neck. I guess they're saving that for the season premiere...

YES!!! THIS x 1,000,000,000.

Edited by DanM64

Honestly, that promo looked TERRIBLE. The series I am sure will still be awesome, but that was so obviously green screen it looked bad. Same for the new Transformers teaser…that also looked like TERRIBLE CGI.

As far as which ads I liked…The muppets one, 80's radio shack, Stephen Colbert, and the Seinfeld ones were the ones I enjoyed.

I thought the Spiderman and Transformers commercials were the high point of the commercials. The rest of the commercials were car commercials that made no sense. Most of the commercials weren't all that funny (the time machine dad and Dorito commercials were okay). But that was okay, because the beat-down Seattle put on Denver was HILARIOUS!

I actually liked the non-winning Doritos commercial better. Check out the one with the Ostrich!

I don't consider the Seinfeld one a true "commercial" but I liked it, didn't love it. Made me feel old as they looked so much older than when the show was on and something just seemed a bit off with it.

Did it seem like there were more car commercials than normal? I mean I know there are always a ton, but it just seemed like a LOT.

I was at a party for the first half which was too loud and I couldn't hear a lot of the commercials. That's why I left at halftime and came back home.

Speaking of halftime, I've always been neutral about Bruno Mars although I like some of his songs. After seeing him, I though he was rather classy and gained some more respect from me. I think he outdid a lot of the previous year's halftime shows, for me anyway.

Getting back to commercials, my favorite was the Clydesdales and the puppy. Second were the Doritos commercials.

^Yes, it seemed that most of the ads were car ads. At least they could have made them good instead of boring.

Edited by arby

Interesting that my favorite (by FAR) hasn't gotten a mention:

Coke's "America the Beautiful"

just a gorgeous, commercial, with a theme that SHOULD resonate with everyone in the Country.

(but of course, instead brought out the Xenophobes, Homophobes, and Hatemongers who are threatening to stop buying Coke now).

me?. . I loved it, and will make an effort to support Coke *more* where I can.

I didn't catch the game, but did see the "1980s Radio Shack" commercial online afterward. I liked it, especially the little Chucky doll.

You preferred Chucky over "Alf" ???

I actually liked the non-winning Doritos commercial better. Check out the one with the Ostrich!

I really thought that that one would have won, but I loved all of them & thought they should have aired them all despite the cost.

I about spit my drink out when I saw this one though. So morbidly disgusting, yet one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. I wondered how many people would ummm...understand the premise!

Also loved the Radio Shack one, but agree with others that the commercials didn't seem to be nearly as good as previous years. Way too many dumb car commercials and not enough funny commercials.

Commercials were on par with last year's in terms of good vs. bad commercials.

Best

Doritos, M&Ms, Greek yogurt, Muppets car commercial, Tim Tebow, Budweiser

Worst/not very memorable

Most everything else - is it just me or were there a lot more car commercials this year than in years past?

Speaking of halftime, I've always been neutral about Bruno Mars although I like some of their songs. After seeing them, I though they were rather classy and they gained some more respect from me. I think they outdid a lot of the previous year's halftime shows, for me anyway.

Bruno Mars is a "he" not a "they"....

Every year people get so hyped for the commercials and end up disappointed. I can't remember a single "good commercial year", and this year was more of the same from everyone. I honestly thought this was a great year for ads, and going back and checking my tweets, there were a lot I forgot about that were really good.

-Like everyone else said, the Radio Shack one was decent, but their stores are still dated looking, even with the ravamp lol

-The Maserati commercial was god awful

-The Jaguar commercial on the other hand was a highlight.

-I don't really get the big deal about the Coke commercial. All of their commercials are bland and uninteresting, and this one was no exception.

-I kinda dug the Bob Dylan Chrysler commercial, although some might call it selling out.

-The Matrix commercial had me yelling "what decade is it?"

-I liked Tebow's two commecials. Really showed how many things he's better at than throwing a football.

-The Doberhuahua commercial with the Sarah McLaughlin cameo was pretty excellent.

-I liked the Jerry Ricecake commercial

-The Chevy commercial with the bulls was almost vomit inducing.

-McDonalds bad lip reading was as great as the YouTube videos

-Ellen in the Beats commercial was the weirdest endorsement of the game.

-I loved the Volkswagen commercial with all the Engineers.

-Muppets and Terry Crews was fun.

-GoDaddy gave us Buff Danika Patrick, which is something I really did not need.

-And the Esurance Hashtag commercial was the smartest ad ever.

I liked that U2 raised $3 million dollars for the Global Fund to Fight Aids for their promo commercial. At first I was stunned when I saw that it was tied into Bank Of America, but they ended up throwing in $2 million themselves.

Surprised that the same anti-immigrant, anti-gay idiots out there (IE: Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh) haven't latched onto that one yet. Oh wait, they're still whining & complaining about that "anti-American" Coke commercial!

Ugh, totally forgettable this year. (And yes, this was my reaction right off, not just in the week-plus since!) Too many of the commercials had that "feel-good" angle to them. In general, I totally go for the sentimental stuff in life, even when it comes to advertising (an old Clydesdale commercial is among my favorites, and there was an insurance ad several years back that makes me cry when I think of it). But this year, they seemed overly manipulative and heavy-handed. Also, most of the humorous ads weren't that original and I only laughed a handful of times.

BEST: (no particular order)

"Doberhuahua" (Audi) (Best Overall)

"Romance" (Chevy)

"100,000 Miles" (Volkswagen)

"Puppy Love" (Budweiser)

"Time Machine" (Doritos)

"Phone Call" (RadioShack)

whatever the M&Ms one was called

Worst: (any of these could be Worst Overall)

"Strike" (Maserati)

"Bodybuilder" (GoDaddy)

"Nice" (Hyundai)

"Cool Twist" (Bud Light)

"Slow Clap" (CarMax)