RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

UPDATE: Kolmarden, p. 11
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: RMCs & Poffertjes: Chuck & TPR 's 2019 Europe Trip

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 am

Great report! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! That Speed wave is unreal. How did you guys dry off after that? With the day as gloomy as it looks, it seems like air drying would be impossible after that.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 am

Energylandia was the first park that I have been to in a while that I actively *DID NOT LIKE.* Which is a shame because it does have so much potential. I admit that I did not ride many of the coasters there outside of the "big three" because I just couldn't be bothered to ride a bunch of kiddie coasters or clones, especially considering that their operations left a lot to be desired. Had most of the rides that said "0 to 10 minutes" wait, actually had been that time, I probably would have ridden a bit more.

Everything just felt so "off" at this park.

I'm sure we'll get back here again in a couple of years and I hope that it will have improved, but when you've got a park with 16 roller coasters and your (arguably) 3rd or 4th best coaster is a Vekoma SLC or Junior Boomerang, that's a problem. And when you've got a park with a giant kick ass Intamin hyper (nearly giga) and the best coaster we rode in Poland was a Vekoma at another park.... also a problem!

Great report! Sums up a lot of my thoughts...
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 am.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:12 pm

Welcome to Monster Attack! They should have Sally come in and install one of those “North Pole Adventure” rides in this building. It would be a 1,000% improvement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Energylandia is exactly the type of park I wouldn't want to visit. Zadra, Formula, and Hyperion look awesome but when I go to a park I'm not trying to pay for a full price admission ticket to just ride 2 or 3 coasters. :roll:
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Energylandia sounds a lot like Carowinds to me which was a park I actively don’t care for. The top few coasters are great but the rest of the park just falls off after that, and it’s the most generic of the Cedar Fair parks I’ve been to. At least the saving grace of some of the other parks is that they are very pretty or have a lot of charm (KBF tops my favorite theme park/amusement park list for just that) but I didn’t find that with Carowinds. I could also be biased because it was 100 deg and humid on the day I went and being outside was unbearable.

However, I still want to visit Energylandia someday for the same reason I ever wanted to visit Carowinds: for the top 3. I expected (correctly) that I wouldn’t care much for Carowinds as a whole by the lack of depth in their collection, but that didn’t mean I shouldn’t go just to ride Fury, Intimidator, and Copperhead Strike at least. Hyperion, Zadra, and Formula look awesome regardless; it’s only too bad they aren’t in a better park.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:31 am

RollerManic wrote:Energylandia sounds a lot like Carowinds to me which was a park I actively don’t care for. The top few coasters are great but the rest of the park just falls off after that, and it’s the most generic of the Cedar Fair parks I’ve been to.

I'll take "generic" over "frustrating" and "cheap-looking" any day of the week. I'm not sure I will ever be willing to make a trip all the way to Poland just for Energylandia after our visit, it would have to be a part of a larger trip. Based on the park's apparent local reception, my opinion is an unpopular one, and if I WERE to go there I'd give it another chance for sure. However, there are at least thirty other parks in Europe that I would rather experience for the first time than experience Energylandia again.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:21 am

At least Carowinds has a decent shooting dark ride. ;)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:10 pm

cfc wrote:At least Carowinds has a decent shooting dark ride. ;)

and Plants vs Zombies!!!!
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 pm

The Trip’s Most Pleasant Surprise: Legendia

While I’d heard about Energylandia, especially when Hyperion opened, I knew very little about Legendia--except that its new Vekoma ride (Lech Coaster) was definitely better than average. Fortunately, we received a nice guided tour of the park and were filled in on some of its history.

Legendia started out as essentially a city park, which included a zoo and aquarium in addition to an amusement park. But a new company came in few years ago with the goal of converting the amusement park into more of a theme park. They decided to go with the myths and legends of Central Europe to pull the place together. You enter via the Magical Village, which leads to a lake. Other sections ringing the lake (clockwise) are:

Magical Forest (home of Bazylisek, an elaborate dark ride)
Valley of Dreams (home of DreamFlight Airlines, a very old ride similar to the Captive Flying Machines at Blackpool)
Magical Mountains (home of Lech Coaster)
Adventures Valley (home of Diabelska Petla, a double looping coaster)

What they’ve accomplished so far is impressive. For example, Lech Coaster is a great ride--packed with air time and very forceful (riders tend to gray out a bit after the first drop). I’m not entirely sure what the “legend” of Lech is, except that it involves a giant bird, but that’s OK. At least it spawned a great coaster and another win for Vekoma in Poland. This was the most pleasant surprise of the trip.

I wasn’t too sure about Diableska Petla (“Diabolic Loop”), the park’s double looping coaster. This ride, built by the French company Soquet, was a transplant from the UK, and it looked a bit, well, questionable. However, it turned out to be a pretty good coaster that didn’t try to beat us to death. It also offered the choice of riding backward in the rear car (I stuck with forward).

Legendia also sports a trackless shooting dark ride that any major theme park would be proud to call its own: Bazyliszek. The premise is that you’re defending your village from a Basilisk, a monster with a serpent’s body and the head of a bird, and its minions. The ride reminds me a bit of Knott’s Voyage to the Iron Reef, in that it uses a lot of video inside physical sets. It’s great fun, with plenty of targets to shoot at.

As I said earlier, Legendia is a work in progress. The remaining two coasters were Zyklons, one of which was closed for maintenance, while the other was having issues (I didn’t ride that one). But the park is on the right track and is worth a visit for Lech and Bazyliszek alone.

My thanks to the staff at Legendia for excellent guided tour during TPR’s filming sessions on Lech and Diableska Petla (not to mention a very good lunch)--and to Robb and Elissa for arranging such a fun day there.
001.jpg
Welcome to Legendia! The sun is shining, and it’s going to be a bit hot today. But the park’s entrance is colorful and welcoming.
002.jpg
The park map out front is an interesting mix of Polish and English.
003.jpg
Aw, cute little feller! He’d be a good minion for Angus McNasty.
004.jpg
Magical Village is the park’s version of “Main Street.” Unlike Energylandia, Legendia seems to have an actual plan. They didn’t just slap up random stuff.
005.jpg
Lech Coaster, the most-pleasant surprise of the trip, is across the lake. More on this ride later.
006.jpg
Like Casey Kasem, keep reaching for the stars!
007.jpg
This building is the home of another reason Legendia is better than Energylandia--a trackless, well-done shooting dark ride.
008.jpg
The queue is beautiful.
009.jpg
I guess it would help me understand the story a bit better if I could read Polish.
010.jpg
I think Jack Skellington is their interior decorator.
011.jpg
They put a lot of thought into theming the queue as some sort of monster museum.
012.jpg
This is the monster we need to worry about, but . . .
014.jpg
. . . there are also vampires!
015.jpg
Hey, they have ride ops and they wait until everyone has boarded safely before dispatching the ride vehicle! What a novel concept!
016.jpg
Legendia is a very pretty park. . . .
017.jpg
. . . with a bit of quirkiness . . . .
018.jpg
. . . and the best roller coaster in Poland (at least the day we were there).
019.jpg
Another nice queue.
020.jpg
Smiling on a Vekoma? This is unheard of!
021.jpg
Steve likes to stand around and hand people Gorilla Tape. It’s a curious hobby.
022.jpg
Their excitement is palpable.
023.jpg
If you love Lech Coaster and want to have it’s children, raise your hands. If you love it but not quite that much, keep your hands down.
024.jpg
Wait for it.
025.jpg
There it is! I love this station fly-through.
026.jpg
Watch out for the big bird!
027.jpg
Best coaster shirt ever. More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Yep--there's still more Legendia.
028.jpg
I admit to feeling some trepidation when approaching this ride.
029.jpg
See? It’s diabolic!
030.jpg
Evil helices!
031.jpg
These restraints look like the work of Satan!
032.jpg
Note the backward-facing seat on the last car. Diableska, indeed!
033.jpg
Godspeed, you brave people!
034.jpg
But this ride wasn’t bad at all. The loops were fun.
035.jpg
Yep--another nice surprise.
036.jpg
Really? What sort of tricks does Boruta do?
037.jpg
Hey, that’s a good one. I can hire out as a stilt walker without stilts.
037a.jpg
Here’s the daily gondola. Yes, they had a skyride with one gondola. I think they were just testing it.
038.jpg
How about some more Lech?
039.jpg
The first drop is that steep? Holy crap!
040.jpg
Welcome to Gray Out City.
041.jpg
We hope your butt enjoys this moment of not being sat on.
042.jpg
“Have fun stormin’ the castle.”
043.jpg
Vekoma, ya done good again.
044.jpg
Who’s up for a “Hawaii Party”?
045.jpg
Aloha!
046.jpg
Looks like a tent for a large flea circus.
047.jpg
Who’s ready for a nice, relaxing ride?
048.jpg
This ride is very old, but it looks great.
049.jpg
Whee!
050.jpg
The breeze from that propellor feels good on a hot day.
051.jpg
Larry is either feeling sick or showing off his killer Energylandia shades.
052.jpg
One last look at Lech because it’s so damn good.
053.jpg
No legend at Legendia is greater than that of Sir Larry the Mighty! That’s all for now.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Looking at this TR makes me want to go back to Legendia! I still can't believe how amazing Lech Coaster was. It *ALMOST* makes me forgive Vekoma for the 100's of SLC's and Boomerangs they've created. That's just how good it is. Plus the pierogis at the restaurant next to the coaster were soooooo delicious. I really hope they keep going in this direction as the park has so much potential. Ok, let's go back now!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!