Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

P. 954 - Wahoo Wave Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby rjr19 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Honestly, for me, Wonderland is definitely worth visiting, even without any passes for Cedar Fair parks. I live up near the falls, so it can take up to an hour to make it to Darien, and CW is just under 2 hours. The time difference is minimal compared to the difference in the quality of the product you are getting. I take a yearly trip up to Wonderland, and since I have gotten so used to DL’s crappy park operations, Wonderlands operations seem amazing to me. Consistently seeing two or three trains running, no constant breakdowns, good upkeep of the property (rides and buildings), and and overall more modern feel are all things you cannot get at Darien anymore. Also, the biggest piece of why CW is worth the extra drive is the amazing collection of rides, mainly flat rides, but the coaster collection isn’t horrible, seriously, it can’t get worse than Darien, so anything seems nice to me. But the flat Ride collection there is so unique and extensive, and it is another experience not possible at Darien Lake.

Overall, even though CW is much further that DL is, I think saying WNYers don’t commonly visit the park is totally false, as many will pay visits commonly as they want to experience REAL operations from a theme park that isn’t full of cheap owners like Darien’s situation. Darien Lake is great and all, but sometimes we need a break from the “why not take a visit” park, and experience a true theme park.
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby SbSteveZ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 am

Haymaker wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:Darien is about 45 minutes away from me, and depending on the border I can get to Wonderland in about an hour and a half.

If it takes you 45 minutes to get to Darien from Depew, youre doing it wrong. Very, very wrong. And if it takes you an hour and a half to get to CW, youre speeding and not hitting any traffic.

It does actually take 30 minutes almost exactly from my location to get to Darien Lake, but I added the extra 15 because almost always I’m picking up other people and usually start venturing to Darien Lake from farther east -making the travel time indeed about 45 minutes, thanks to the wonderful out of sync traffic lights in the area (I swear if it’s not Genesse, the lights are never in sync anywhere and that can add so much time to a commute). Also with Wonderland it does depend, last time I got there in an hour and 50 minutes due to fighting with the GPS to avoid the ETR/407 because it can get pricey if you aren’t subscribed to it (or however that service works) it initially said my time from home to Wonderland would be 2:00 hours, then it dropped to 1:15 after the border and by the time we got to the 407 situation it added 26 minutes to my travel time because it kept taking me to 407 entrances and I kept driving away from them. The time prior, traffic was almost non-existent so it did take about an hour and a half to get to the entrance right across from the 400. My favorite part of traveling there is watching the time drop by easily 30 minutes when I cross over the border in 5 minutes or less - yes, there are times when that is possible. It is worth noting; your mileage and results may vary, friends. An hour and a half is a lot more accurate than 4-6 hours. As is stating a Platinum Pass with season long FunPix is only $250 when you renew at the right time and that gives access to 11 parks instead of the one meh park a $70 or $80 season pass gets you at Darien Lake (or just add $20 per each six flags park to give the pass a little more value). There are people out there who would pay $500 or so for all the benefits at CW, but again, totally not required.
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby BitterOldHag » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:08 am

I've said this before but it bears repeating- think of the 407 as your FastLane for Toronto traffic. Yes, it's pricey even if you have a transponder, but for me, it is absolutely worth it. On my last visit to CW in 2016, I left my house on the east side of Cleveland at 5:00 am and arrived at the Wonderland parking lot at 9:50 by using the 407 instead of the QEW/Gardiner/427 route suggested by my GPS. That included 2 quick washroom breaks, topping off gas in Angola, NY, and crossing the border (I have a NEXUS card to "FastLane" any border lines also... can you tell I am not a patient person?). If I would have taken the non-toll route, I'd probably still be sitting in stop and go traffic between Burlington and the 427. :)

If you can afford it (from the QEW starting point of 407 to the 400, the rate is $31.84 CAD without a transponder), I say it's one of the best ways of getting to areas north and east of downtown Toronto.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SaraAB87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:02 am

It takes me probably 45 min to an hour to get to Darien lake from the Falls, I do think a lot of people go to DL just because well, they don't know any better and its the closest big park in the area and their kids beg to go there. Keep in mind most of the visitors are not coaster enthusiasts so they don't really care what the rides are, a lot of WNYer's who only visit DL once a summer haven't been to other parks so they don't know how much of a difference 2 train operation makes when in reality it makes a huge difference. Those who have been to a park with 2 train operation will notice the difference immediately and I have heard non-enthusiasts comment about the operations so people do notice that. I did look at what CW has and it seems to be very worth it especially if you like higher intensity flat rides.

Postby Haymaker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 am

SbSteveZ wrote:
Haymaker wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:Darien is about 45 minutes away from me, and depending on the border I can get to Wonderland in about an hour and a half.

If it takes you 45 minutes to get to Darien from Depew, youre doing it wrong. Very, very wrong. And if it takes you an hour and a half to get to CW, youre speeding and not hitting any traffic.

It does actually take 30 minutes almost exactly from my location to get to Darien Lake, but I added the extra 15 because almost always I’m picking up other people and usually start venturing to Darien Lake from farther east -making the travel time indeed about 45 minutes, thanks to the wonderful out of sync traffic lights in the area (I swear if it’s not Genesse, the lights are never in sync anywhere and that can add so much time to a commute). Also with Wonderland it does depend, last time I got there in an hour and 50 minutes due to fighting with the GPS to avoid the ETR/407 because it can get pricey if you aren’t subscribed to it (or however that service works) it initially said my time from home to Wonderland would be 2:00 hours, then it dropped to 1:15 after the border and by the time we got to the 407 situation it added 26 minutes to my travel time because it kept taking me to 407 entrances and I kept driving away from them. The time prior, traffic was almost non-existent so it did take about an hour and a half to get to the entrance right across from the 400. My favorite part of traveling there is watching the time drop by easily 30 minutes when I cross over the border in 5 minutes or less - yes, there are times when that is possible. It is worth noting; your mileage and results may vary, friends. An hour and a half is a lot more accurate than 4-6 hours. As is stating a Platinum Pass with season long FunPix is only $250 when you renew at the right time and that gives access to 11 parks instead of the one meh park a $70 or $80 season pass gets you at Darien Lake (or just add $20 per each six flags park to give the pass a little more value). There are people out there who would pay $500 or so for all the benefits at CW, but again, totally not required.

You should learn the back route... saves a lot of hassle. I can get there in 15-20 mins from Walden/Central area.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby SbSteveZ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:41 pm

The Walden/Central area is a bit further out than where I am. Plus I don’t mind driving straight down Walden and turning onto the 77. Past Pavement there’s what, 3 traffic signals? Including the one for the 77 I believe. From time to time I may also take Broadway all the way down, it just depends on where I’m coming from. The Walden/Central area is typically 5-10 minutes from my place as it is so 20 minutes from there isn’t all that much faster - and I live off of Walden.
Last Coaster: Nitro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
150TH COASTER: The Riddler Revenge @ Six Flags New England
RIDE ON

Postby Haymaker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:The Walden/Central area is a bit further out than where I am. Plus I don’t mind driving straight down Walden and turning onto the 77. Past Pavement there’s what, 3 traffic signals? Including the one for the 77 I believe. From time to time I may also take Broadway all the way down, it just depends on where I’m coming from. The Walden/Central area is typically 5-10 minutes from my place as it is so 20 minutes from there isn’t all that much faster - and I live off of Walden.

Make a right at Wende Correctional. Follow that and it turns into Sumner and goes to 77 right next to the entrance. Never has any traffic.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PATTYCAKES » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:17 am

Since we are talking about Canada's Wonderland on the Darien Lake thread, I thought I might ad my opinions. I am from Toronto and I am less than half an hour from Wonderland. I have a season pass, so I have never bought a fast pass for Wonderland. Fast pass is unnecessary at Wonderland when you have a season pass. So, IMO, I have to say that I, and my entire family, have always preferred Darien Lake to Wonderland. The reason is that at Darien Lake, you can actually get on some rides. Lines at Wonderland are ALWAYS ridiculous now. About 10 years ago they really built a tremendous amount of housing, very near the park, and within walking distance. It doesn't matter when you go now, it will always be packed. You might get on a couple of the lesser rides, but even our old-fashioned cars has a huge line. The atmosphere at Darien Lake is far above Wonderland's. As soon as my family enters DL, until the last minute we leave, is absolutely beautiful. When we leave Darien Lake, we immediately want to return. We don't get that felling at Wonderland. You all should feel very lucky for having a beautiful park like Darien Lake. As for Six Flags taking it over again, I think some of you have forgotten what Six Flags did to DL the last time they owned it. If it were up to me, I would leave the names of the rides as they are right now. Dl's rides don't need to be called by super hero names. That totally destroys the atmosphere and it really makes the park seem a lot cheesier than it needs to be. Leave things as they are, Six Flags. Darien Lake is an awesome park! Canadians love DL as it is right now, although it is VERY expensive right now with the exchange, but we will be back. I just hope Sis Flags doesn't run it inti the ground again after 10 years of successful rebuilding.
:mickey:
:mickey:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 am

PATTYCAKES wrote:I have a season pass, so I have never bought a fast pass for Wonderland. Fast pass is unnecessary at Wonderland when you have a season pass. So, IMO, I have to say that I, and my entire family, have always preferred Darien Lake to Wonderland. The reason is that at Darien Lake, you can actually get on some rides. Lines at Wonderland are ALWAYS ridiculous now.

Lines are ridiculous and you can't get on anything so Fastlane is unnecessary? What?

PATTYCAKES wrote: The atmosphere at Darien Lake is far above Wonderland's. As soon as my family enters DL, until the last minute we leave, is absolutely beautiful.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. :lol:

Postby rjr19 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 am

Nothing says beautiful like old faded coasters, burnt out light bulbs, poor landscaping and the strong foul stench of blacktop sealant!
Six Flags Darien Lake is my home park..... :?r

CURRENT COASTER COUNT: 63 ....yeah I need to go to more parks lol

TOP 10: 1.) Steel Vengeance, 2.) Millennium Force, 3.) Leviathan, 4.) Mako, 5.) Behemoth, 6.) Maverick, 7.) Top Thrill Dragster, 8.) Ride of Steel, 9.) Yukon Striker, 10.) Valravn

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!