Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Vortex Being Removed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby i305isdaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:18 am

Ok I'm glad I'm not crazy for this Banshee back row opinion, after my one lap in the back left row I was shocked at how much it rattled my brain around, very similar to the first valley on Steel Dragon 2000. My on-ride photo even has me wincing. I love the layout and love every other B&M invert so next time I'm at KI I'll have to give it a front row ride to really judge it again. Out of my whole day at KI it was the one coaster I was shocked at how much I disliked, so it really can just be the back of the weird trains.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 am

It didn't bother me that much but you'll have an entirely different opinion of the ride if you wait for the front.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am

Ohhh let me get in on this. For me an invert is a must to try the front and back and typically I end up enjoying the front more for the view. Don't get me wrong I like the whip you can get down the first drop on Raptor, Afterburn, Banshee; but the 4 wide trains make a front row wait next to nothing so I'm all in on waiting for the front seat!

Yeah, Banshee can really shake you up. It has some bad days and so does Diamondback. It's as if you're going through gravel. What is the because the trains are heavier? With Banshee's high speeds and positive g's you just feel it more?
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby prozach626 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am

Pedrinho wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't find any invert yet I liked in the back row. All B&M's the other way, I love to death in the front row.

Hmmmmm. This makes me think maybe you haven't ridden Afterburn at Carowinds.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:52 am

I've been looking at the design of the old vs. new invert trains… The old design had (4) individual seat 'arms' if you will, bolted from the top 'frame' connected to the wheel bogeys, while the new one is (2) arms that each support a pair of seats. The new design would put the loading stress of each pair of seats directly in line with the wheel bogey, while the old design better spread the load equally around the bogey... with each seat arm both to each side of the wheel assembly. I'm guessing if you ran some FEA on that, you'd see the stresses behaving a bit differently up top there with how the forces are being transferred along that top frame. Perhaps some flexing and less rigidity (from the looks of it at least) cause the newer train to ride a bit rougher.

The old design looks a bit more robust, in my opinion. I'd also guess weight between the two is probably comparable, but without knowing the material gauge and all that fun stuff, it's hard to know obviously. Weight is not necessarily a bad thing for how a train may ride necessarily (more-so for the structure and track design), but will likely influence how the car rides for sure.

Too bad I don’t have access to FEA at work like I used to, I’d be curious to simulate a generic representation of these designs and compare under various loading/stresses to see how it changes. Wouldn’t be too hard at all.
old.JPG
new1.JPG
-Steve

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby coasternut79 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 pm

prozach626 wrote:
Pedrinho wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't find any invert yet I liked in the back row. All B&M's the other way, I love to death in the front row.

Hmmmmm. This makes me think maybe you haven't ridden Afterburn at Carowinds.
I agree. Rear row on Afterburn is whippy as heck!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KIEnthusiast » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:36 pm

I love the design of Orion's front car. It's very "clean" and futuristic-looking.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Here's a photo from @IAAPAHQ
EJwPQAPXkAEhgpi.jpg
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to head out to KI and give this a spin.
Been you to have any spike, man?

Postby prozach626 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 pm

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:Honestly, this was not the color I was expecting. I can't say I hate it, but I'm interested to see how it'll match with the track.

It's the same color that was on KI's animations.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!