Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Vortex Being Removed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Forget that, I want to see the 4-row cars that it supposedly launched with.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Forget that, I want to see the 4-row cars that it supposedly launched with.

That's something I've never heard before! Would love to know more about that. This special edition of the Beast is awesome and the locals will love it. KI is doing a great job at making a 'quiet year' a memorable year.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby kenban » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Forget that, I want to see the 4-row cars that it supposedly launched with.

I suspect you already have. The current trains are actually the original trains, the parks maintenance staff cut the 4th row off the cars and turned them into the 3 row cars. When the ride first opened it had 4 trains with 5 cars each, when they shorted the cars they scrapped the fourth train and used it to add an additional car to the remaining 3 trains.

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:That's something I've never heard before! Would love to know more about that. This special edition of the Beast is awesome and the locals will love it. KI is doing a great job at making a 'quiet year' a memorable year.

Yeah, its only something I've read about online and figured by the configuration of the air-gate-rows in the station (4 then a space, not 3 then a space like every other coaster that runs 3-bench PTC trains). This is the only picture I've been able to find:

kenban wrote:I suspect you already have. The current trains are actually the original trains, the parks maintenance staff cut the 4th row off the cars and turned them into the 3 row cars. When the ride first opened it had 4 trains with 5 cars each, when they shorted the cars they scrapped the fourth train and used it to add an additional car to the remaining 3 trains.

Haha no they did not just "chop off a row." That's the most GP thing I've heard on here in a while.
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby kenban » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Mike240SX wrote:Haha no they did not just "chop off a row." That's the most GP thing I've heard on here in a while.

One of the designers of the Beast, Jeff Gramke, still works for the park and has discussed this at enthusiast events before. The maintenance staff has done all the modifications to those trains, from shorting the cars, to changing the lap bars, adding the seat belts, and the headrests. Those trains are the original trains, or at least pieces of them are I have no idea what percentage is original at this point.

I recommend going to Coasterstock and asking him yourself. He is doing a Q&A during the event this year. Although if you have been in previous years he has explained in the past why the cars were shorted and how it was done.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KIEnthusiast » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

It is not "supposedly." The Beast did open with 4-row cars. There are some very good 1979 pictures here: http://rcreride.com/html/coastercon_ii.html

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm

kenban wrote:
Mike240SX wrote:Haha no they did not just "chop off a row." That's the most GP thing I've heard on here in a while.

One of the designers of the Beast, Jeff Gramke, still works for the park and has discussed this at enthusiast events before. The maintenance staff has done all the modifications to those trains, from shorting the cars, to changing the lap bars, adding the seat belts, and the headrests. Those trains are the original trains, or at least pieces of them are I have no idea what percentage is original at this point.

I recommend going to Coasterstock and asking him yourself. He is doing a Q&A during the event this year. Although if you have been in previous years he has explained in the past why the cars were shorted and how it was done.

I'll take your word for it, but color me skeptical. Just seems like something a major park wouldn't do, even in the '70s/'80s.

KIEnthusiast wrote:It is not "supposedly." The Beast did open with 4-row cars. There are some very good 1979 pictures here: http://rcreride.com/html/coastercon_ii.html

Great photos...thanks!
-Mike

Postby kenban » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 pm

That’s from IAAPA 1978 and was the original design for the train for what we know as The Beast, although it is also before the park had decided on a name, they changed the look after the ride was named.

Postby Pedrinho » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 am

kenban wrote:Image

That’s from IAAPA 1978 and was the original design for the train for what we know as The Beast, although it is also before the park had decided on a name, they changed the look after the ride was named.

Nice find. I wonder what happened to the head lights.
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Monster; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

Postby kenban » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 am

Pedrinho wrote:Nice find. I wonder what happened to the head lights.

They were replaced with the sculpted logo they have today before the ride opened due to the park expecting a lot of media coverage. Basically they wanted the rides name and logo in the pictures. The ride did open with the leather seats complete with buttons you see in the photo, but it was replaced pretty quickly in I believe the first season.

If your wondering about the headlights, consider that there is an entire Beast lead car out there somewhere. The lead car of the 4th train was completely refurbished and given to Ruth Voss when she retired. Voss was the head of Media Relations at the park when The Beast was built and is credited with coming up with the name. She passed away more than 20 years ago, so there should be a real Beast lead car out there somewhere, likely in a private collection.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!