Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 353 - Steel Curtain POV & Rider Cam posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 pm

djcoastermark wrote:That's pretty cool considering the park has an odd policy on beer. I like the 21 and up thing too. Wish I could go.

What is this policy you speak of?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 pm

For years they didn't sell beer at all. Now that they do, it is in a small, but nice area that closes very early. I believe it was 6 pm when I was there even though the park was open until 10.

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:21 pm

djcoastermark wrote:For years they didn't sell beer at all. Now that they do, it is in a small, but nice area that closes very early. I believe it was 6 pm when I was there even though the park was open until 10.

This is not good news for my trip next year. Not good news at all.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:02 pm

It's not a big problem, you just have to check the hours the beer garden is open and plan accordingly. I believe it was originally an allowance from local government on a trial basis to let them sell beer. There doesn't seem to be any problems, so maybe they will expand it a bit. The beer fest seems to point in all the right directions. Oh, they don't throw you out of the garden at 6, they just stopped selling. (stock up)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby ejot » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:48 pm

I believe there's also a two beer limit per person per visit.
Recent Visits:HIKennywoodCarowindsKDAdventureland (NY)NW PA/Western NYHersheypark
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Top Rides: 1Skyrush(#72) 2Phoenix(#2) 3ElToro(#45) 4Fury325(#165) 5Phantom'sRevenge(#184) 6RavineFlyerII(#147) 7Tatsu(#14) 8Blue Streak(#112)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Well that is disheartening. We only had one early in the day, Went for a second at 6:15 only to find they were closed. I didn't realize there was/is a limit of 2. The beer fest sounds like there's a more lenient policy. (praise the stars etc etc )

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:21 am

Hopefully this will be huge success! I love this idea although options for nearby lodging are not the greatest, so would need a DD, Uber or taxi for the event.

Won't be able to make it this year, but will try to go next year. Here's to hoping that someone on here will go and do a trip report??? Pretty pleeeeeaasse???? :)

And thanks for the tip on the beer garden times, Mark. The last time we went, there was no alcohol available in the park at all, so this is definitely a step in the right direction. I remember thinking when we were there...this is Pittsburgh and they don't sell beer at a park? Boooooo!!!!!!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby KPfan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:41 pm

Beer isn't very popular there. The price is high considering it's only a 12oz cup with 2 drink limit. They usually have security around that area which is a good thing to deter underage drinking. There's a so a decent but expensive BBQ stand next to it. Seems to me that the beer would sell better in the Parkside Cafe but it would be too difficult to monitor that area.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:54 pm

^ How expensive is expensive?

I can't say that beer in any park that I have visited has been "cheap". Fantasy Island was probably the cheapest with a huge cup of Molson (maybe 21 oz?) being about $6.50. Most run anywhere between $8-10 for a 12 or 16 oz cup.

Yeah, you could buy a decent six pack for that in the store, but I like buying a beer or three at a park, just chill out and people watch before hitting the next coaster. I'd much rather pay the extra couple of bucks for a nice cold beer than pay $5 for some watered-down Pepsi bullshit.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby CanobieFan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:47 am

Hey everyone!!

I had a quick question...

Looking back in the forums, it seemed as everyone was extremely upset about Kennywood being sold.

How do you think the new owners are running the park? Is it still the park you remembered from before the sale?
I LOVE CLASSIC WOODEN COASTERS AND NOSTALGIA.
I AM STRONGLY AGAINST NEUTERING WOODEN COASTERS
(Sadly) I AM THOROUGHLY AGAINST TOPPER TRACK. WOODEN COASTERS ARE SUPPOSED TO RATTLE YOU.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!