TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

maverickpoint, you talking about the dippin dots FireChaser Cherrybomb Ice? That's what my son gets every time....he loves it cause it has pop rocks in it....but he's 7 and would love anything with pop rocks in it. haha

I think there is a legit ice cream being sold in 5 or 6 states that was made to promote the ride. Made by Mayfield. I think it came out over the summer last year and I am not sure if it's still even in stores.

I just looked up Dollywood on Google Earth. They've got a rough 3d model of the entire park, down to every single building and tree. It looks like they must have laser scanned the whole park from a helicopter. It's pretty amazing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dollywood/@35.7934189,-83.5302826,181a,20y,41.6t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x885bfee9c33434cb:0x5578b76022d4eac9

Edited by nannerdw

Same size about a foot.. Me and my GF split it and still threw some away haha.. Not those tiny ones at most amusement parks.. They are big!

Plus it's full of hot chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and something else but I can't remember lol.. Its rich!

They also have a red velvet cake one and then just a regular powdered sugar one and sometimes a special funnel cake depending on the festival going on

SDC has great funnel cakes too! The Outlaw Run funnel cake is divine.

@maverick No, but it does look delicious. Chocolate and caramel do go great together.

Just got back from Dollywood with my wife for our first trip and it was a fantastic. The weather was perfect and the rides were first rate. Our first day Wednesday, all the rides were walk-ons. Fire Chaser, Eagle and Tornado were great but I have to say our best ride was Mystery Mine......So cool. We spent two days and never got tired of it. We bought season passes and will definitely be going every chance we get. It's only a 3 hour trip and I don't know why we never have gone. Well done Dolly!!

I was told by one of my friends that a lot of additions were made to Blazing Fury during the off season besides the track. I was on it during Christmas and didn't notice a few of these. He said there is a sign that reads "Timber Tower Water Supply Co." hanging in one of the scenes. There's also an explosion scene in the final drop, where the splashdown was. It makes more sense being when you drop you enter a dynamite storage. He also said before the ride ends there's two added scenes. A random man at a table, and some sleeping firemen in bunks as you turn. Sounds like Blazing Fury is stepping up.

It may just be me, but it seemed like the Blazing Fury moves a lot faster now....especially in the first part leading up to the bridge. I barely had time to check out all of the scenes because it moves so fast now. Or maybe I'm just getting old...

I like the additions/improvements, but I'm a little old school and miss the "You WILL get wet" warnings and coming off it completely drenched.

Either way, I'm glad they've made the investment and proven they're keeping the Blazing Fury around for at least a little while longer...it opened the year I was born, so it's got a special place for me. "KISS?!?! It looks like you've been kissin' that STEAM train!"

Lots of work being done on the hillside now!

image.thumb.jpg.988201c744491a2988ab5ea583c0a268.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f7a76f034f5208acb0cf4ae2f94a256d.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.ac7a087d7a187b3bfc6f25e903b4b4eb.jpg

The new Dollywood entrance sign is going up!!

image.thumb.jpg.a88448d6dcde751b74eb78e20be2cc9f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.20630f8221ac764887f2fc7997c03327.jpg

After a barrage of complaints, the valet parking has now been cut in half to make room for more handicapped parking.

image.thumb.jpg.2cddf64c5ddea7bcbb9aebf7572371c2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b8e4f09f5d48af9e357db8e812bddb9d.jpg

Glad to see all the trees aren't coming down.

image.thumb.jpg.b5517d54f812648790d1a9f6851833a2.jpg

The memorial rose garden has been completely paved over.

image.thumb.jpg.5c30924beb855cd226176bba90fdaa62.jpg

That sign looks very sexy. By the time I get to Dollywood (end of May or June) things should be looking very nice. With the hillside, I can see that this is going to hug some serious terrain. They aren't flattening from what I can tell, rather just clearing a few trees which makes me happy. A high speed, launched, terrain hugging coaster with some insane inversions will be amazing to see. I would personally like to see part of it hidden from the public just for the fact that it leaves the ride a total mystery unless you actually ride it, leaving you to wonder upon nothing but the roar of the track and screams.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Lots of progress. I love the sign at the corner!

Dollywood has scheduled a Livestream announcement for Friday May 1st at 10:20a Eastern time.

livestream.com-HomecomingAtDollywood

Don't miss Dolly Parton LIVE tomorrow morning, beginning at 10:30 a.m. EST! Watch as she takes us on a look back through 30 years of Dollywood entertainment, joined by a few surprise guests!

Maybe we'll see an announcement or tease or something!

Also, on Friday night at 6p, Dolly's Homecoming Parade will start on the Parkway.

One final thing - our local NBC affiliate (WBIR) is airing an hour-long 30th anniversary special at 7p eastern on Friday 5/1. If a link to the video becomes available I will post it...likely on Saturday.

update - here's a link to the four videos. It's a half-hour program, not 1 hour. Dollywood: A 30 Year Tradition (WBIR knoxville)

Edited by coasterfreaky

^ That's great! I have known this park from afar, but never been.

It'll be great to see the history of this place, esp.from Dolly's viewpoint.

Thanks for doing it, if you can post a link.