cons:

-lots of problems

-some of them gets rough after a few years

B&M

-smooth (sometimes too smooth)

-huge inversions

-always very good-looking/beautyful

cons:

-their layouts are often too much the same (loop, dive-loop, 0-G, cobra...)

-they're very expensive

Well, what was said earlier, you can't blame the company for providing what the parks want! If there's a clone, its the park's fault, not the company.

B&M has more variety than Intamin. B&M- 7 Intamin- 4

Cost cannot be compared between companies. And a lot of companies get the supports and track filled with sand to reduce the noise. This is expensive and jacks up the price.

With element variety, what elements does Intamin have that B&M doesn't?

Intamin is creative in how they get the coaster going. B&M is creative in how the coaster moves after it gets moving.

and its spelled beautiful, not beautyful

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but Intamin's 4 coasters doesn't compare much to B&M's 7.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/i_products_roller.htm

They offer more than just the ones you posted. they've done boblseds in the past too...

Cost cannot be compared between companies. And a lot of companies get the supports and track filled with sand to reduce the noise. This is expensive and jacks up the price.

I doubt sand really breaks the budget...

Intamin hypers are probably about the same price as B&M hypers on average, for example, but the threat of a million dollar lawsuit is risky IMHO.

Well, what was said earlier, you can't blame the company for providing what the parks want! If there's a clone, its the park's fault, not the company.

B&M has more variety than Intamin. B&M- 7 Intamin- 4

With element variety, what elements does Intamin have that B&M doesn't?

Intamin is creative in how they get the coaster going. B&M is creative in how the coaster moves after it gets moving.

and its spelled beautiful, not beautyful

When I said variety I meant forces, not elements. Elements Intamin has that B&M doesn't: Flying Snake dive, The Speed Monster thing, Top Hat, Heart-line-roll (not 0-G), Overbanks, LAUNCH,....

And I'm pretty sure I speak better Finnish and Norwegian than you do

Flying Snake dive

Basically just a dive loop in the same way a jojo-roll is just a heartline roll..

The Speed Monster thing

I'll give you that one even though its very similar to a Pretzel loop...

Top Hat

yea, but those are usually yawners anyway..

Overbanks

Look at Nitro and Goliath. Sure, they don't go 120 degrees, but are overbanks really all that great? (they are usually my least favorite part of Intamin hypers)

LAUNCH

Yea, they stick with the world's most reliable commodity.. gravity.

Let's list some more things that Intamins offer but B&Ms dont:

Serious down time, involuntary rider ejections, deaths, a lack of responsability/accountability for their rides

I've been on 26 B&M's, been on 15 Intamins. Now I prefer B&M anyday over Intamin. Don't get me wrong, Intamin has great coasters also, but B&M's are smooth...who cares if there are clones....some people don't got time or money to travel to ride a certain coaster, that being said, it's great that there are clones. Everybody gets to experience the same ride as the original, and anyone who looks differently at company for producing clones, IMO, you are being kinda selfish in a way. Enough of that, B&M's are smooth, a better variety of coasters, better maintace of the coasters.....Overall, Great Quality.

Intamin: Pacificly, i've seen first hand on how bad those coasters can get, July 2003, I visted Cedar Point, Me and a friend was second in line to ride Millennium Force.....before we got on the ride, the station shut down, and the car heading up the lift rolled backwards and slammed into the car coming off the breaks, not once but two seperate times. Then another time, went to ride TTD, couldn't cuz after the launching, a piece of metal came loose and hit riders....You tell me when a B&M has melfunctioned like that?

P.S. Though I caught both MF & TDD on a good day, and both were great.

B&M.

Yeah, I love MF, the 2 (lesser) S:ROSes I've been on, and KK/TTD/Xcelerator. But B&M delivers the goods again and again, even if every first drop is the same, dammit. I'm an older guy who treasures smoothness and rerideability, and a lot of B&Ms are things of beauty to me. Sorry, I don't find Nitro, Medusa, or the Hulk boring - I find them exhilarating. Alpengeist may not be 450 feet tall, but damn, is it fun! Now, if only SFMM shows us that B&M can build a truly thrilling flier...

And then there's that pesky dependability thing...I've endured 4-hour TTD breakdowns, KK problems, frequent V2 breakdowns, Steel Venom was down when I was at GL, and when I visited PKD last summer, Volcano was down for 2 days. Hmmm... What's the use of pushing the envelope if the flap comes unglued again and again and again?

BTW a note on so called "B&M clones":

There is no such thing like a "B&M clone"!

If the parks (namely SF) weren't so boring creative with the introduction of new rides that often, B&M would not have built these "clones" multiple times. So if ever, there might be a kind of "SF clone". That's why I intentionally will repeat:

There is no such thing like a "B&M clone"!

Go think!

^ And face it: This is, with the possible exception of B:TR, largely an enthusiasts' concern. SFMW's management knows that the number of their visitors who'll moan "Oh, I already rode Medusa at SFGAdv" is rather tiny.
I think you're absolutely right.

I just wanted to point this out to those so called "enthusiasts" who lack the ability to understand what's decided by *parks* actually and *not* at all by the roller coaster manufacturers.

Well, regardless of reason, there are some B&M clones around the world. I'm not saying B&M "pushed" these designs on the parks, but there are still USA B&M's cloned on other continents.

Oblivion = G5

Batman = Great White = Lightning

Raptor = Orochi

I would think the parks and B&M work together. They come to B&M and request a ride, give them the space available, the spending range, etc. -- and then B&M may offer a custom or "clone" coaster as an option. Just my idea.

I would think the parks and B&M work together. They come to B&M and request a ride, give them the space available, the spending range, etc. -- and then B&M may offer a custom or "clone" coaster as an option. Just my idea.

Yes, basically, but IMO it should read: "and then B&M may offer a custom as well as a 'clone' coaster as options. "

My idea: still the parks will do the desicion...

This was a tough one for me, having been a big B&M fan for years... But in the past three years Intamin has slowly but SAFELY pushed my top B&Ms off the top of my favourites list.

...and no one has argued the fact that Intamin also makes the best wooden coasters in the world!!! BALDER RULES!

My vote goes to Intamin.

3 Intamins in my top 5 (No. 1: Goliath @ Walibi World, also in top 5: Balder & Xcelerator)

0 B&Ms in my top 5... That says it all I think

However, do have 9 B&Ms in my top 20 (which is more than any other manufacturer), including Medusa (SFMW), Dragon Khan, Orochi, Nemesis... They are just not the best! Anymore... for me.

Pure construction/technical wise: B&M.

Always a smooth ride, no matter what seat, conditions, age of the ride.

The design is too much influenced by others. If a B&M or Intamin is really great, it's usually the work of the Stengelbureau.

• 2 weeks later...

If you like height, airtime, AND acceleration: Intamin

If you like inversions OR airtime: B&M

End of story

All the Intamin rides I've been on are VERY smooth, as opposed to the B&M rides I've been on (SFMM has good B&M's but Mantis really changed my mind).

Intamin all the way!