TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why is PGA's Grizzly so bad?

Honestly, if you sit in the front of Grizzly, it is kinda fun. Its fun like going on a kittie coaster is fun. Its not really bad in any way, but is as mediocre in every way it can be.

(its not as bad as Pysclone!)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grizzly was my first "bigger" roller coaster. I was like nine years old. I loved the thing to death. At the age of "9" I was ready to fight anyone on Grizzly being the best roller coaster ever. Well 7 years, 72 roller coasters later... I'll back down from that fight. But remembering being 9 years old and Grizzly being my first big coaster and loving it, I think they should keep it (which they have) for the younger riders getting ready for their bigger coaster thrills. Don't you agree it's a perfect first big coaster for kids. To tell you the truth, if it wasn't for Grizzly, I probably wouldn't be into roller coasters. The coaster sucks for all of us coaster fanatics that have been on rides like El Toro, Voyage and others. We know what thrills are and Grizzly doesn't have any. But for the sake of the kids...

*Although the thrill seeker in me is just dieing for that thing to burn and for them to build a new GCI Twister like Thunderhead at Dollywood

* But the kid in me would be really sad to see the thing go.

Wait... are they even thinking of removing it from PGA?

EDIT: I rode the Grizzly 7 times in a row without getting off because the ride was a walk on basis. But getting ready to ride the eigth time, they said I couldn't ride anymore because of a "consecutive rider rule" as they called it. I came later and got in line and when i got on they made me get off. I still don't know what was up with that.

I also have a story about the Grizzly. The first time I rode it my mom came on with me. We sat in the back. On the first drop this guy sitting in the car in front of her spit and it landed right on her glasses. She got off and complained to the ride operator and they called security and they kicked him out of the park. It was pretty cool. lol

Did you eat paint chips as a kid???

I've been riding it from the day I was 44 in tall. Back when both Grizzly and Tidal Wave were the family coasters. (I think my spine as evolved to handle the roughness )

Now, you need to be 48 to ride the Grizzly, and Tidal Wave's parts are inside a six flags shuttle loop near you.

Gosh I have bad experiences on that ride. When I was in the 6th grade I rode it and OMG the ride sucked. The first drop sucks its not evan that steep. The turn-around after the first drop takes such a long time to complete, there is absolutely no airtime I've gotten more airtime on a kiddie coaster, It hurts like HELL, So what I am getting at is the ride SUCKS!

Gosh I have bad experiences on that ride. When I was in the 6th grade I rode it and OMG the ride sucked. The first drop sucks its not evan that steep. The turn-around after the first drop takes such a long time to complete, there is absolutely no airtime I've gotten more airtime on a kiddie coaster, It hurts like HELL, So what I am getting at is the ride SUCKS!

I completely agree with you. that turnaround takes forever to get around and you go so slow.

While I like PKD's Grizzly, I'm not crazy about PGA's version--quite boring, as I recall.

I rode it the first year it was open, too. I was larger then than I am now and fit just fine. But a few years later, after I had lost quite a bit of weight, they wouldn't let me on PGA's Grizzly because I was too big! (The hell? Maybe they were using different trains.)

The trains on PGA's Grizzly have always been the same.

I remember when I worked there (PGA) in '89 and one of the rides I worked was the B O Speedway which snakes in and out underneath the Grizzly structure. Anyway, we were going through opening procedures on the Speedway when they started testing Grizzly trains. It was kind of a cool morning and the first train they sent stopped on the anti rollbacks on the second hill. The mechanics had to go up there and give it a push, then they jumped into the front seat and rode it the rest of the way. After that first train, the rest of them made it through the course. Apparently this had been an issue ever since the coaster had been built because we heard all kinds of rumors and things they were doing to fix it like adding weights to the front car. But it was funny you could stand there and watch it just barely make it past the rollbacks on the second hill all day. And maybe it was just my perception but it did seem to be a little faster through the rest of the course, and a little smoother. I also worked panel on Grizzly and every day at the same time for like two months, almost to the minute, when the sun was in a certain position it would shine on these photosensors that were at the emergency brake part of the track and cause the computer to think there was always a train in that block. So we would have a train going up the lift, a train in the station, and this "phantom" train on th E-brake which caused the ride to 'set-up.' This usually lasted about a half an hour, train stuck on the lift and all.

So I guess what I am saying is that this coaster has issues. Every year I ride it and every year it seems to me that it gets a liitle more sluggish and a lot more rough. If it kept it's speed and didn't beat the hell out of you it actually would be quite enjoyable.

I don't usually call rides "Boring", but Grizzly is just soooo slow and un-thrilling, I just think it's boring. I mean, there really isn't anything good about it. It is slow, there are no suprises, and no fast turns or anything. It's just plain, slow, and flat.

Grizzly was my first "bigger" roller coaster. I was like nine years old. I loved the thing to death. At the age of "9" I was ready to fight anyone on Grizzly being the best roller coaster ever. Well 7 years, 72 roller coasters later... I'll back down from that fight. But remembering being 9 years old and Grizzly being my first big coaster and loving it, I think they should keep it (which they have) for the younger riders getting ready for their bigger coaster thrills. Don't you agree it's a perfect first big coaster for kids. To tell you the truth, if it wasn't for Grizzly, I probably wouldn't be into roller coasters. The coaster sucks for all of us coaster fanatics that have been on rides like El Toro, Voyage and others. We know what thrills are and Grizzly doesn't have any. But for the sake of the kids...

Thats why KECO built the Scooby Doo's at all their other parks for, for the kiddies. Don't understand why they didn't do that for PGA too and build some decent wood for the rest of us. If PGA had other good wood I wouldn't care, but having this useless pile as the sole big wooden coaster in the park only serves to widen the already huge void in PGA's quality coaster offerings. Sure hope CF is smarter than past management has been and finally does what should have been done long ago to this pointless POS (PGA already has more than enough kiddie rides).

I had my opportunity to get a very nasty backache from PGA's Grizzly in 2003- I'll never forgive that monster for that much pain...

I found the ride basically very plain as a coaster goes; but for me, the jerking back and forth on those godawful seats was more than my back could take. I had a bruise along my shoulders from the backlash- and I'll never forget that one (and I'd done MarineWorld just the preivous day...)

Perhaps a retrofit would be in order now that CF holds the park. The ride could be a lot better if they tried- and I'd hope that they would.

is the layout exactly like the KD Grizzly?

I also wanted to know that too. I have rode both and to my understanding, and knowledge, they are just mirored. But if that was the case, then why can KD's get air on almost every crest, and GA's just crawls up the first hill?

Some people might say its the trains, which i would also think so, but i would think that the trains on GA's would be better with its trailored design. I assume less wheels, less friction.

I hope someone can call me out on this one, cause it racks my brain every time i see that god awful thing!!!

Heres onride videos of both rides. You will see that while Grizzly @ PKD has quite alot of steep hills, the PGA version has alot of long pieces of almost flat track, making it a rather dull ride.

^ Thanks for the video, just need the jackhammering to the spine and it's just like being on the POS!

From the story I heard, KECO wanted a family friendly version for PGA, and this modified version of PKD's Grizzly is what we got stuck with, stupid KECO!

At the media opening for Grizzly, ACE'rs gave such bad reviews to the press, ACE was banned from all future media openings until Top Gun opened.

I also wanted to know that too. I have rode both and to my understanding, and knowledge, they are just mirored.

Mirrored suggests the same layout just reversed. They are not similar, not mirrored. PGA's is 100 feet longer and has a taller lift. Yes PGA's has a lot of long straight boring sections of track, but it is not a mirror image of the other one. You should not falsly associate a bad coaster with a good (descent) one.