TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Went to the park yesterday. Wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it would be. Got to ride everything except skyscreamer and mr. freeze (my family is too chicken and the lines were long)

I did notice the station to NTAG wasn't completely tarped off... only the opening where the train departs the station was blocked. Was it always like that or is this new?

Saw some mechanics walking up the stairs to the station too but didn't stick around to see what they were doing. Hmmm... progress, perhaps?

I also noticed that the sides of the station weren't tarped off.

And that Shockwave had both trains on the tracks.

My son and I went yesterday and notice this. It appears to be a new location for probably a test seat? The concrete was cured but obviously new. If they're doing this right now I'm thinking they have plans to have it up and running before FrightFest? Or maybe by Labor Day Weekend?

IMG_0840.thumb.JPG.30ab04aa2fb0cca11b8e20abc46ed282.JPG

Recent construction near front of New Texas Giant 8-24-13

If you like nerdy stuff and questionable reporting, here is a news report for you! The video in the link is actually better than reading

NBC-DFW

August 20, 2013

Documents obtained by NBC 5 Investigates Consumer Unit raise more questions about the state-required annual ride inspections at Six Flags Over Texas.

In July, Rosa Irene Ayala-Gaona, 52, was on the Texas Giant when she fell to her death.

Experts say the Texas Giant, which is nearly a mile long and 14-stories high, would be tedious at best to inspect. Mark Goodson, a forensic engineer, who has testified against Six Flags in a previous accident lawsuit, said a thorough inspection could take three to four days.

He explained an inspector would first want to look at the maintenance records and service history among other documents.

"You would then want to go through the hydraulic system, the electric system, the control system, and then the mechanical system. And then you want to inspect the ride for evidence of corrosion in terms of its support structure," Goodson said.

In the state of Texas ride inspections are left to private companies. Most of the records are not public, with the exception of the annual certificate of inspection, accompanying photos and certificate of liability insurance required by the state.

After the accident, NBC 5 Investigates Consumer Unit requested ride inspection certificates and their accompanying photos from the Texas Department of Insurance or TDI for all of the rides at Six Flags over Texas in 2013 and prior years as well.

TDI is the state agency responsible for monitoring whether amusement park rides have insurance. In order to get insurance, the insurance company must hire an independent inspector who is tasked with completing annual inspections. That inspector fills out the state certificate and is required by the state to provide "a picture of the ride in an operable state taken at the time of inspection."

According to the records NBC 5 obtained, in 2013's state-required ride inspection certificates and accompanying photos, more than 40 pictures were taken during a six-day period. Ride inspector Don Hankins, submitted inspection certificates and the pictures taken during those six days for all but one ride, including the Texas giant.

What is not clear from the documents is whether Hankins alone inspected all of these rides in six days or did he supervise a team, and how thorough these inspections were.

Hankins has a long history as a ride inspector. He worked for the state of Oklahoma for nearly two decades before retiring and is a member of the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials. At Six Flags he worked for PLH & Associates, Inc., the company Hartford Insurance Company, picked to do the inspections. For the past five years, Hankins has signed the bulk of the ride inspection certificates for Six Flags Over Texas.

NBC 5 reached out to Hartford to ask about the inspection process. The company would not answer questions but provided this statement:

"We are working through the claims process. It is our practice, however, not to comment on the specifics of claims involving our policyholders."

NBC 5 called Hankins several times over several days. He directed calls to Six Flags. NBC 5 also called PLH & Associates. The owner also referred NBC 5's questions to Six Flags as well.

Six Flags told NBC 5 to call the inspector, writing:

“Six Flags utilizes world-class standards for ride inspections with a mix of daily, weekly, monthly and annual inspections being performed by both internal and external parties. Safety is our highest priority. In Texas, ride inspection requirements are set by the state and performed by independent third parties over multiple days, and Six Flags adheres to all of the state requirements.

Your questions about the inspection requirements and process should be directed to the independent inspectors."

That led back to the inspector and the companies that hired him.

The lack of transparency in the state-required inspections troubles Ken Martin, a ride inspector who has testified for and against amusement parks in accident lawsuits. He believes Texas should have more oversight over ride inspections.

"I'd like to see the state of Texas step up to the plate and have the intestinal fortitude to make the policy to make those changes," he said.

Texas is one of at least 17 states, which does not have a state agency responsible for inspecting amusement park rides, according to a survey by NBC News. Texas also has no law granting the state power to investigate in the event of an accident, leaving the investigation into Ayala-Gaona's death to internal and external experts at Six Flags. TDI declined NBC 5's request for an interview.

The agency sent this statement:

"Among other requirements, state law requires that each ride receives an annual inspection by a qualified inspector contracted by the ride's insurer. The Texas Dept. of Insurance monitors compliance with this requirement in the form of a certificate signed by both the inspector and the insurer, attesting to the fact that the ride meets all standards required by law."

TDI did not answer questions about what the state-required inspections entail.

"I would hope Six Flags, the insurance people, and everybody involved at some point would give those answers. Maybe they've been told while the investigation is ongoing, everything's going, maybe not to talk about any part of it," said State Rep. Matt Krause, R-Ft. Worth.

Six Flags Over Texas is in his district.

In TDI's 2012, Biennial Report, the agency asked the legislature to either expand its authority over amusement parks or give that authority to another agency. Krause and other legislators told NBC 5 they would like to study the issue in the legislative interim.

"Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragedy to know what you need to study," Krause said. "But we definitely need to take a closer look into this to make sure Texas is doing right by its citizens and doing the right thing in terms of regulating the amusement park industry."

The Texas Giant remains closed.

Went to the park yesterday. Wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it would be. Got to ride everything except skyscreamer and mr. freeze (my family is too chicken and the lines were long)

I did notice the station to NTAG wasn't completely tarped off... only the opening where the train departs the station was blocked. Was it always like that or is this new?

Saw some mechanics walking up the stairs to the station too but didn't stick around to see what they were doing. Hmmm... progress, perhaps?

We went today and aside from the future test seat concrete, everything was tarped off as usual and quiet aside from a changing of the security guard. I saw nothing new at Shock Wave either. SSDD at SFOT. Oh, one other thing. There was freshly poured concrete at what appears to be a photo booth by Titan. Other than that. Nada.

Ok, so throw a test seat out front and add seatbelts. Do whatever, just get NTAG back up and running again. That coaster's too awesome to be SBNO for this long. Same for Shockwave, get these rides open.

AMEN to that! We went today and Titan was practically a walk onto ride, as was Judge Roy. Batman, NTAG, and Shockwave all 3 closed. Then Mr. Freeze was an hour long wait because they were only running one train. We went ahead and went for it since it was indoors with an a/c blowing. It is a great ride.

This has turned out to be a dissapointing year at SFOT. It's started off well with getting a new large attraction even with Shockwave being closed. But with NTAG, being closed amongst little rides minor breakdowns on other coasters.

If you hang around a park long enough- it does not matter which Park- sooner or later they will have a "Lets forget about this year" year. SFOT had a tough year all the way around. Shockwave's mishap could not be foreseen. Neither could the NTAG issue. Seems like the NTAG issue just completely deflated the morale around the place. I think everyone is looking forward to next year. Not sure what SFOT is getting- maybe only infastructure upgrades- but even those would be greatly appreciated!

^They're probably just still trying to lay low after the accident.

Here's what I'd like them to announce for next year:

"We're back to putting guest satisfaction first! Better trained ride ops, rides will be open, shorter wait times, more convenient restaurant hours, come back and visit the park you grew up with and loved!"

^LOL! I'd love to see them put out the same SFOT announcement I asked for!

Interesting that the two most recently annoying Six Flags parks aren't sticking to the Six Flags script and doing things in a different manner!

Interesting that the two most recently annoying Six Flags parks aren't sticking to the Six Flags script and doing things in a different manner!

For all I know, Magic Mountain got ride of their PR person to cut costs! I'd love to seem some infrastructure rejuvenation and general park restoration at both SFOT and SFMM!

For all I know, Magic Mountain got ride of their PR person to cut costs! I'd love to seem some infrastructure rejuvenation and general park restoration at both SFOT and SFMM!

I think everyone wants to Revolution restored. I personally would like them to do a restoration on the scale of the Phantoms Revenge but I dout that would happen.

I wish SFOT would allow Rocky Mountain to come back and do some magic to JRS, which I'm sure will never happen. But I can dream.

But some general tlc for the parks would be appreciated as well. It would also be nice if SFOT would keep summer hours because I know a lot of people who would actually prefer to go after work and school on weekdays for various reasons plus the temperatures are much better.

I was told a manager that I bumped into at Steak and Shake one night after the park closed, that the majority of their employees are students, so their hours kinda cater to their school schedules. That's why in the spring, they'll have a skeleton crew on the Fridays they are open in the morning and such.

I am beginning to think, judging by all of the "eXtreme" hints coming from SFFT's FB page, that any hopes of getting a wing coaster might be 5 hours south on I 35. SFOT's FB has been so quiet that you can almost hear crickets in the speakers when you click on the page. Last post I saw from them was a picture of someone riding the teacups a couple of weeks ago. They haven't posted much at all since the NTAG accident. I am just hoping it isn't something silly like turning Batman backwards. But being as they will have likely shelled out a chunk of change in a lawsuit, and loss of profits, I wouldn't put it past them to do that and then market the heck out of it as some big new thrill. I am not holding my breath for a new coaster here in Arlington, this year. If they do, it'll be a nice surprise. And if they do, I hope it is over the top.

^^

Not really convinced SFFT is going to be getting a Wing Coaster anytime soon. As far as the park shelling out money in a lawsuit......Liability insurance is what's going to pay for the settlement so it doesn't have any bearing on money used for capital improvements.