TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

g0stars2552, would have been so much cooler if you didn't come back in here and boast about your inside scoop.

Seems odd to dump a bunch of money into JRS - seems like they have an opportunity for an awesome signature ride in that area (should they just tear it out). Not many parks have the opportunity to showcase a ride, right at the entrance, like that.....technology and ride design has come quite a ways since that ride was put there, I think it'd be pretty exciting to build a signature ride right there...and have it interact with the water.

I'm sure this has been a rough year for the folks that work at the park - here's to hoping 2014 brings good things. (and, yes, I realize it's been a tough year for the lady's family/friends as well....just saying that there surely is also an impact on the park/employee attitudes etc as well)

The reason why Mrs. Esparza died was because when she pulled the lap bar down, she did not place her back to the back of the seat but instead she was scooted up with a considerable gap between her back and the chair and the air time hill after the first drop became fatal. Even a person of a lot smaller size would have fallen out if they had been sitting like she did so weight was not a factor. When you ride a car don't you almost always put your back completely against the car seat? The local news report of the accident makes me cringe. I lost my sh"t when they said the restraints "clicked."

I find it hard to believe a ride op would never notice if a person wasn't sitting back all the way, especially a person with the same proportions Esparza had and whose lap bar position was going to be a borderline pass/fail situation anyway.

Anyway, I noticed the SFoT press release mentioned re-designed restraint pads from Gerstlauer. Did the Iron Rattler get new restraint pads as well? I thought they only added seat belts...

The reason why Mrs. Esparza died was because when she pulled the lap bar down, she did not place her back to the back of the seat but instead she was scooted up with a considerable gap between her back and the chair and the air time hill after the first drop became fatal. Even a person of a lot smaller size would have fallen out if they had been sitting like she did so weight was not a factor. When you ride a car don't you almost always put your back completely against the car seat? The local news report of the accident makes me cringe. I lost my sh"t when they said the restraints "clicked."

I find it hard to believe a ride op would never notice if a person wasn't sitting back all the way, especially a person with the same proportions Esparza had and whose lap bar position was going to be a borderline pass/fail situation anyway.

Anyway, I noticed the SFoT press release mentioned re-designed restraint pads from Gerstlauer. Did the Iron Rattler get new restraint pads as well? I thought they only added seat belts...

I've been hearing it has been closed ever since Labor Day. Their website, FB, and Twitter accounts have no mention of the closure and are still promoting it for Fright Fest.

One reason I like SFFT, is they will actually respond to you if you ask a question. I commented on one of their fb posts and asked them if IRAT will be open during FF and HIP, and they responding to me confirming that yes, it WILL be open for FF and the rest of the year! So, hope that clarifies things.

1 Million? Either they have an incredibly bad Lawyer or there is more to this story than we are being told. I would think that SF's insurance company would pay that TODAY and walk away content. Something is not right here.

The damages are not that out of the question. It has been a while now since I've had to deal with damages in any meaningful way, however when a person dies you essentially need to figure out how much money that person is worth. A 92 year old man with terminal cancer who has been retired for 30 years and has no dependents is worth less money then a 30 year old engineer with a wife a 3 kids. It sounds cruel but there are formula's that go into deciding the value of a person. From what I understand those are the damages, I'm unclear if there are additional punitive requests coming.

I'm a little surprised that Gerstlauer wasn't joined in the suit, curious to see if Six Flags drags them into the mess.

^From what I gather, there was a faulty sensor on the exact seat the woman fell out of. Six Flags took the train out of use and supposedly fixed it. The repair was signed off on and put the train back in use. If this is really case, how could Gerstlauer really be held liable? Trains have sensor issues all of the time and unless the manufacturers are brought in to help with the fix, than it all lies on the park's maintenance team to make the fix. If I am reading all of this correctly, this all lies on Six Flags.

^From what I gather, there was a faulty sensor on the exact seat the woman fell out of. Six Flags took the train out of use and supposedly fixed it. The repair was signed off on and put the train back in use. If this is really case, how could Gerstlauer really be held liable? Trains have sensor issues all of the time and unless the manufacturers are brought in to help with the fix, than it all lies on the park's maintenance team to make the fix. If I am reading all of this correctly, this all lies on Six Flags.

Depends on why the sensors were failing. If they're failing because of typical sensor failures, then yeah sure, blame lies with the park. But if the sensor keeps failing due to a design issue with the train (unlikely but possible), then the train manufacturer could be liable.

According to the lawsuit, a limit switch was replaced in the car she was riding in, the lawsuit, from how I read, does not say 'the' seat, it just says "in 'a' seat in 'the' very car". A limit switch can have varying degrees of failure and could have been out of tolerance and not a complete failure.

In regards to the 1 million, the plaintiff's have requested and paid for a jury trail. The jury will set the monetary damages which are to be in excess of 1 million dollars.

Paperwork

This is the test chair. Didn't get any pictures of the coaster running, but it is still an amazing ride experience. The process of checking restraints in the station is a lot longer, as you might imagine, but it is worth the wait

image.thumb.jpg.eeb37d89c8a94a29f26e0951cd2e5c07.jpg

Test Chair

Sweet! Black trains back on. Interesting that they put shin restraints on. Thank you for update^

They always had the shin restraints on front row of each car on the train.

Glad to hear the ride is open and that its still a great ride.

Sweet! Black trains back on. Interesting that they put shin restraints on. Thank you for update^

They always had the shin restraints on front row of each car on the train.

Glad to hear the ride is open and that its still a great ride.

Huh. Guess I never noticed. Do they new restraint pads make it more or less comfortable?