TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dive Machines? What are your thoughts?

SheiKra rocked! I just ride it 2 weeks ago and it was amazing! I haven't been on the others, but this one looks like it tramples all over them

My mom and I got our onride video, the guy told us there was over 5 mins of footage. Out of all of it, there are 4 slow motion scenes that show OUR RIDE!!! For 20 bucks, it was a ripoff, we thought the guy meant all of our ride! And there's no sound from us on the video either

But, again, SHEIKRA R0X3RS MUH S0X3RS lol

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I hate hate hate drop towers of any kind, so I was very worried that I'd hate Sheikra, but I absolutely loved it! The dropping sensation is not anything like the sensation on a drop tower. To me, Sheikra felt much more powerful than most coasters I've ridden...it felt like it was truly hauling ass down that drop, unlike most coasters. I could have ridden it all day, because it was thrilling and crazy, but very comfortable.

In my opinion, a Dive Machine would be the perfect addition to Cedar Point!

Wow, this thread was resurrected!

Anyways, I've always been a fan of Oblivion, and Shakira just blows it away! A lot of us were worried about Busch and B&M toning it down, but Shakira in the back seat is AMAZING! I really think I would say that BGT has 3 of the top 10 B&M's in the world. Not too shabby!

I recently found my 'onride DVD' from Sheikra that you can purchase at the exit, I'll try and find a way to post it because it is sooooo terribly bad!!!

At least this copy is the one without the big black magic marker mark on the DVD. Also, if I remember correctly, didn't you have smoke from the brakes on your ride?

Hmm safe...

Skeikra does look impressive and the extra row must throw up alot of airtime. I think it's amazing to think that the first drop is just that bit bigger than Oblivions. Alton really dug a huge hole for it! And with the huge pull up still give's 4.5G's.

Well, Alton's is the Father (or is that Mama?) Dive Machine, so they did what they could for the first one, hmm?

I am sooooooo looking forward to this one, yum yum. Seen it thru all of the posted online building pix etc. Remembering the "big secrecy" over what the f--- it actually was, and it's name etc.

All kewl memories for something I haven't ridden.... yet.

I am sooooooo looking forward to this one, yum yum. Seen it thru all of the posted online building pix etc. Remembering the "big secrecy" over what the f--- it actually was, and it's name etc.

SW4. Everyone thought there was going to be a loop or more track in the hole. How wrong we all were.

i took a ride on Shiekra back in June and loved it! i got a seat front row on the right end. All i have to say is when that train stops on the drop and you hang there facing down the track and seeing it curl away from under you.... ohhh man is that sweet! and it looks like a long ways down....

I was also suprise with all the swaying the the track does.( i know that coasters sway btw) but if you stare at it for a bit, the tracks is swayin' like TTD. You can catch a cool glimpse of the drop track shakin or swaying a bit on the way up... kinda adds a little freaky factor to it. For the short ride that it is, its deffinitley one of my favs. soooooo much fun to ride. I gotta get back there and take a back seat lap! can't wait!

These dive machines are awesome! The tension on Oblivion is brilliant (its the only ride in the world where que line videos that tell you that you might DIE whilst riding)

There is actually a queline video for Oblivion that was never used, it can be found at www.towerstimes.co.uk , its like a news report on Oblivion when one of the rains derailed in the tunnel and everyone died! I think its obvious why they didn't use this!

Anyway the adrenaline rush you get on these coasters is amazing! Sheikra is great fun but the tension building on Oblivion is greater, people moan that its too short but everytime ive been on it, as soon as you hit the brakes you are buzzin like mad and so is everyone else!

I just watched some of those queueline videos and dang they were awesome! I really liked the one that they didn't use. I don't think its obvious why they didn't use it. It didn't say anything about the ride crashing. It was just a news story about a car disappearing in the tunnel without any signs. It said that there were no 'crash scene, no car, no survivors'. I though it was an awesome video.

I though it still had the 'dont look down' voice at the top of the drop, i heard when i went last year!

I thought the Ropers were unhappy with the screams! Which brings me on to another point, the Clyclone (enterprise) at Drayton Manor was removed due to noise, will this happen to the enterprise at AT? Which is located in X-Sector, where apparantly all the noise is coming from!

SheiKra, although not my favorite, its probably the best airtime I have ever gotten on a coaster since GASM at SFOG. The back, edge seats has crazy air on the second drop.

Absolutely. It's a negative-g lover's delight, with those two big floating drops and a nice, juicy pop of air in the middle.

At BGT last month, I rode 4 times in front and 3 times in the back, only to see, when I got home, some post somewhere saying "The middle row is by far the best."

Sigh.

SheiKra, although not my favorite, its probably the best airtime I have ever gotten on a coaster since GASM at SFOG. The back, edge seats has crazy air on the second drop.

Absolutely. It's a negative-g lover's delight, with those two big floating drops and a nice, juicy pop of air in the middle.

At BGT last month, I rode 4 times in front and 3 times in the back, only to see, when I got home, some post somewhere saying "The middle row is by far the best."

Sigh.

Nah, you sat in the best rows. While the middle is still fun, it is not as good as the other two rows.

I wish they still had the tannoy announcement of "Don't Look Down" at the top of Oblivion. The killjoy Ropers forced it to be silenced.

I REALLY don't understand why that was removed.

A ten ton train full of screaming lungs grinds over a heavy mechanic clutch system, stalls on the edge long enough for a few swear words to be shouted, then lunges forwards down 100 feet of track to make a sonic boom of air in a tunnel... and the TANNOY was too loud?!

You could barely hear it from the ground below the ride.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I've always wanted to know how do the reverse chain/holding chain work on Dive Coasters?

I know that the chain dog is back to front so it latches on in the opposite direction, but when it go's up the lift hill why doesn't it get latched onto that chain?

Ok... I think I might be able to help! I work at SheiKra so I know pretty much everything about that ride. The chaindog that attaches to the chain to pull the train up the lift is the same chaindog that attaches to the holding break! The chaindogs are welded to the bottom of the train so they never move they are always hanging down below the train they do not move up or down so they do not "Drop down" to engage on anything. Unlike normal chaindogs dive machine chaindogs have a curve on both sides so that it will attach to both chains. It is really hard to explain, its something you would have to see in person to really understand. I have some pictures that might help. Sorry they are not the greatest quality they were taken from my phone.

Oh OK, But how is is held in place and how does it get back into place once disengaged from the chain?

does the chain speed up to release the holding chain dog?

It always stays down so has no place to be held. The chain does not speed up to release the train. First the chain never stops... it is always moving, it just slows down so slow it gives the illusion that the train has stopped. The chain just keeps moving very slow untill the weight of the train pulls it the rest of the way over.

The reversed chain dog that holds onto the holding chain doesn't drop until it gets to it.

The chaindog is always down... it does not "Drop" at any point during the ride.

~Matthew

Chaindog2.jpg.01702280bd04b0a5d10fb02a3197e795.jpg

The sliver thing hanging down in the middle is the chaindog. The sliver things on the side are the anti-rollbacks!

chaindog.jpg.006db526c71a8283c20b548711d0e1c3.jpg

I tryed to zoom in so you could see it better. Sorry I do not have any better pictures of them.

From being upclose to the floorless train at its unveiling. The front chain dog that catches the second lift appears to be stationary and seems to be longer as in sticking down more. The chain dogs in the back of the train can go up and down so that it will slid over the second chain. You can see in the design of the back set that they have an area built in them to slid upward. I didnt get any side view of the front but it appears it is always in the down position.. I wold assume that the drop chain also sits a little lower in height from the bottom of the car then the regular chain.

tp2.jpg.1a10f35a8477dbf934c176a73aebf022.jpg

The front set of chain dogs.

tp1.jpg.083e6611df822be0d9569eccf834207d.jpg

The back set of chain dogs.