TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dive Machines? What are your thoughts?

I just rode Griffon for the first time last week. It was my first B&M Diver so I cannot compare it to Oblivion, SheiKra, G5 or any of their other dive coasters around the world.

My first ride was in the front far right seat. I'm not a screamer but hanging on that first drop out away from the track got a "HOLY $#!7!" outta me. From the vantage point of the trains the drop actually looked beyond vertical. Major airtime!

I also rode in the back row...excellent airtime there as well.

My advice: first ride: outside seat, front row. Second ride: back row, opposite outside edge. Then reride in the seat you like best.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will really enjoy Griffon... its an outstanding coaster.

The second drop doesn't look too big, but believe me, you will definitely be popping out of your seat.

And I don't understand why so many people are comparing Griffon to El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure? If you want an airtime machine... Apollo's Chariot is not too far away from Griffon.

SheiKra is the only B&M Dive Machine I have ridden. Of all the B&Ms I have ridden, SheiKra was by far the smoothest. While it was fun, I did not really notice any truly notable airtime on the ride (though that was before I became more attuned to airtime and more of a connoisseur). Don't get me wrong, it was a fun ride. However, after the first drop and Immelmann, I just wasn't that impressed. It's fun, but a bit of a one-trick-pony...nothing to get too worked up over. As my 65-year-old mother said after our first ride on it (SheiKra being her first coaster in 15 years), "That's it?!? I want to go again!"

-Doug "Still wants to ride Griffon" Heim

It was originally designed with Oblivion and the idea was just to purely scare people whilst looking down the drop with the words Don't Look Down being spoken to you, did the trick too until Noise Complaints stopped Alton playing the words.....damn neighbours!!

I rode SheiKra in March and to me, the most intense part was getting held up I don't know how many feet up there, front row, outside seat on the right, with nothing under me.

IMO, the drop is intense, but not CRAZY intense (as some people say), but I think it's very personal. I guess it depends of each person's capacity of taking forces.

Riding El Toro in about 2-3 days. Can't wait to see the difference.

SheiKra is the only B&M Dive Machine I have ridden. Of all the B&Ms I have ridden, SheiKra was by far the smoothest. While it was fun, I did not really notice any truly notable airtime on the ride (though that was before I became more attuned to airtime and more of a connoisseur). Don't get me wrong, it was a fun ride. However, after the first drop and Immelmann, I just wasn't that impressed. It's fun, but a bit of a one-trick-pony...nothing to get too worked up over. As my 65-year-old mother said after our first ride on it (SheiKra being her first coaster in 15 years), "That's it?!? I want to go again!"

Where did you ride, though?

In the first 2 rows you don't really get any airtime, in the back you do.

I'd say mildly intense... more of a mind screw than anything.. dangling there 200 feet up is the scariest part... the drop is a bit intense, but honestly nothing crazy... and it also helps that the coaster is smooth as silk...

Wow, we must have different definitions of airtime. I rode in all three rows on Griffon and got massive air in all, with the most when sitting in the back of course.

I have rode sheikra in all three rows and probably every seat on the train. While the third row gives the best air, every seat on that coaster gives better air on the first drop than 95% of all the coasters out there.

they are so big! but the feeling in the drop is not so good, backseat ist the best, you have lots of airtime in the drop, the 4 seconds before the drop are nice in the front, you can sit and relaxed, the 4 seconds hang at Sheikra are one of the best coaster moment of my life....

Where did you ride, though?

I rode in the front and in the back. While I do recall some airtime in the back, I didn't find it to be terribly overwhelming. I certainly found considerably more airtime on the El Toro's first drop. Though, I'm not saying that SheiKra isn't fun. It just found it to be somewhat tame.

-Doug

While I don't think I remember the quality of the airtime during my multiple rides on Sheikra a couple years ago (right before the floorless trains were brought in), after the first ride, I don't think I ever really considered it "intense." The first time I was lowered over the top of the first drop was probably the most intense experience of all of the rides I took that day, but once we dropped, the ride was pure fun. I think my friend and I both decided that with the exception of the big scary looking drop, it was actually a pretty decent, almost family friendly, looping coaster.

• 5 years later...

Do you think a park would attempt in building a 300 foot dive coaster? I've been on Griffon and I think that first drop is amazing. I wonder what the ride experience would be like from 300 feet.

If a park would attempt this, which park do you think it will be?

I've seen this mentioned numerous times on other forums. So I will share my opinion on this subject here as well.

Honestly, the big selling point of the Dive Coaster is being briefly held over the 90° drop. Theoretically, the higher you go, the level of thrills and excitement also rise. However, a 200-foot version has proven to be very effective, so I don't see the purpose of a 300 foot version, other than bragging rights. There would be no change in ride experience besides being dropped for an additional 1.6 seconds. Even the small 100-foot versions provide enough thrills and positive feedback to continue to be built. If something like this were to be attempted, I suppose B&M would use a spine & track combo for the drop, like that seen on Leviathan. This should help support the increased load without needing too many additional supports.

A park that would build this?

Someone willing to dish out $20+ million for something that could be significantly cheaper, and still provide the same thrills.

^I agree. And it's not that it would increase the airtime either as it would just have a longer vertical section (which only provides zero g). That being said, I would be interested in seeing how they would deal with the supports, if they really would use the spine & track combo or not. The thing is, that would only work if there was no turn after the lift and having a straight section of track between the lift and drop 300 ft in the air would look rather odd.

• 1 year later...