TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Everyone Enjoys Fatty Patch Jacket Robb, Right?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robb, did you live in LA and look like that?!

Every one of my friends that moves to LA comes back a year later and looks like they've been on the Biggest Loser or Extreme Makeover.

That's because it's so expensive to live in L.A. - you skip a few meals so you can make the rent...

OK, I gotta know, how in the world do you keep the weight off with all of that yummy theme park food available??

To be honest, I don't really keep ALL of it off depending on the time of year. Initially I lost about 100 pounds and depending on if I'm in 'crunch mode' at work not having the time to work out, or if we're on a lot of park trips with big meals, I can easily gain back 15 to 20 pounds in a week or two.

Then I just go RIGHT back to working out, eating smaller meals, etc. IMO, it's all about 'moderation.' You don't need any stupid atikins diet or anything else to TELL you how to eat. YOU are the best person to be able to tell you how and when to eat. If you need someone else to tell you how to eat, you'll never have the self-control you need to do it, and you're just going to gain it right back when you stop that diet.

For example, I don't even "diet" that much. I eat normal meals at normal times, I just eat smaller amounts and I work out. And I don't even really have that extreme of a work out. Most of the time it's 30 minutes on an exercise bike at 24hour fitness combined with some weight lifting or an hour of DDR at home. When you do work out, you should be doing something that makes you sweat. I've heard people "walking" on a treadmill, for example, then complain that they never lost any weight...well DUH!!! My workouts aren't insane, but they are a "workout"

I am still overweight, but not anywhere NEAR as much as I used to be. With my lifestyle I don't ever think I will be "model" material, and I'm not even interested in trying to be, but I "feel" a lot better about being 20-30 pounds overweight than 120 - 150 pounds like I was before! :shock:

So my advice is....figure out on your own what works best for you. Don't let another diet tell you how to do it, because most of the time, those things work for the short term, but not the long term.

To answer the question, how I have been able to "keep it off" is that *I* figured out what works best for *me*.

I hope that helps!

--Robb

^What he said...

And to add to that, there was a time that Robb was at his "ideal" weight (according to those scales at the mall), and he looked SO SICKLY AND TERRIBLE. Some people just have bigger frames and should be 'bigger'. Make sure to also see a doctor while on any kind of weight loss plan as they can see and tell you what you're doing right and wrong, as well as do tests to see how your body/blood/organs/etc. are doing.

Thanks for the great (and detailed) reply, R & E!

I have started traveling more to conferences this year presenting research and it is like a huge food fest everywhere we go! It really reminds me of my trips to WDW where I am trying to cram all of the food I love into a few short days. So I was thinking about how often you guys are around really tempting stuff, and I figured maybe you had a strategy for navigating the restaurant minefield! It has been difficult getting back on track between conferences because everytime I turn around, there's another one-- I'm always on the road!

Anyway, glad to hear that you follow your gut (couldn't resist the pun) and practice moderation. I will think of you guys when I am in Boston next month, getting ready to eat a bowl of clam chowder!!

Amber

I've been fighting the "battle of the bulge" all my life, too. When I graduated from Cal Poly back in 1984, I was nearly 300 pounds and my blood pressure was off the scale. I lost over 100 pounds in a year by following Weight Watchers--it's amazing what motivation a guy in his mid-twenties can get from having to attend a weigh-in with a bunch of middle-aged housewives once a week.

My old "goal weight" then was 175, but I looked a bit gaunt (we Campbells are Scottish highland stock, after all), but I did balloon back to nearly 250 (now down to around 230). I think between 200 and 210 is where I'd like to be.

Moderation and exercise--still need to work on that second part.

• 3 weeks later...

^ And that would be mildly disturbing.

To pile on to what everyone else said, seeing I may have started this craze with my post in the "googling rob and elissa" thread, I also must say that I have to congratulate Robb on his achievements with weight. I've always been a moderately to somewhat immoderately big boy all my life and I've got the genes to fight against as well. I'm currently 5"10' and, last I checked, 160ish, which is the best proportional shape I've ever been in. Currently, I'm getting the "you're losing too much weight" and since in London I think I've lost some more and I'm getting a "oh no, not more" kind of speech, so I know about the bad looking lower weight. But my regimen is actually very close to yours Robb, when I can. Obviously, I don't have the same facilities that you do, especially here in London for the short term, but I must say Dancing Stage has been very very good to me. Even though I still can't get any further than standard mode.

I have also had the "yo-yo" effect with weight loss. It all depends if I am playing sport and the seasons of the year with my work. As an electrician, I allways loose weight over the summer months due to working in crawl spaces, and the heat that it gets to in there.

Over winter as it is not as hot, I put a little weight back on due to football season. I don't loose weight when training, but put it on. Weird but I guess building muscle really does increase weight. The picture on the first page is just after football season finished, so I am at my lowest of the year or near to it.

Nice to see you have lost over 100 pounds, but I would have never guessed you were that big looking at you now Robb....well done.

Big Bill Shatner had quite a struggle with his waistline when he was younger. For example, in the original Star Trek, he would be in pretty good shape during the early episodes, put on a few pounds halfway through the season, then shed the weight by the time shooting for the season ended.

My best wishes to anyone struggling with a volatile waistline. My best advice? Don't beat yourself up over it.

• 6 months later...