TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I typically don't like to think about what elements a ride will do before it is announced, but I want there to be a 0-G stall where the second hill is (The hill after the first turn-around).

I'm very curious to see what they do with this, and I know that whatever they do will be awesome!

Roar at SFA deserves the RMC treatment more.

OMG, I'm just so sick of hearing everyone whining and complaining that SFA is so neglected or "deserves" something.

Here's the reality of the situation...

If Six Flags felt that SFA's Roar deserved getting the RMC treatment, SFA's Roar would be getting the RMC treatment. Deal with it.

Based on Roar's layout, I think the ride will end up being a smaller NTaG with some WC and Steel Medusa mixed in.

I think it's hard to say that it will be similar to any other RMC. RMC has done an exceptional job at making their coasters different from one another. This is one of the more unique layouts they've gotten their hands on.

Well that's why I said it would be a mix of the three, which WOULD be unique and totally amazing.

Roar at SFA deserves the RMC treatment more. Hopefully SFDK sends the millenium flyers to SFA

I think Six Flags just sees a better return on their investment at SFDK than SFA since the former has much higher attendance. Plus DK has that pesky little Goldstriker to compete with now, whereas SFA can't even TRY to compete with KD so they don't put much effort into major expansions.

This gives me yet ANOTHER reason to come back to Cali. I'm really interested to see what RMC does with a GCI layout. It already has some great moments in its design, so I predict this transformation will be similar to Medusa Steel Coaster in that for the most part the original footprint will stay and the new track will just follow it all the way through. Can't wait to see the design!

It's a bit strange to see a newer woodie get the treatment. I never thought it was one of the worst, though I've heard stories about its poor aging, and it's definitely a lower-tier GCI.

Now what are they going to name it?

Interesting, I didnt think of that, is this the newest coaster to get the makeover?

I totally forgot that Medusa opened in 2000. Then again, I think CCI has more of an issue with roughness and poor aging, even though this has clearly afflicted some of the older GCIs as well.

Don't anyone hate me for this comment, but I feel a little conflicted because I actually really like Roar the way it is. I wish we could keep Roar AND still get an awesome RMC.

However, I'm absolutely THRILLED that my home park is most likely getting an RMC!! I'm still a little in shock about this, because I never would have expected SFDK to get one so soon, let alone ever! I can't believe that I'm going to have what likely might be a top 10 coaster within an hour's drive of where I live! I really can't wait to see what they're going to be doing with this!

Take that, CGA!

Only bummer for me is I really want to visit on Roar's last day to get one last ride on it, but that's the day I'm slated to fly home from my summer at Busch Gardens. I'm almost tempted to see if I can get off a few days early (which might end up happening anyway). We shall see!

I 100% agree and if the last day is anything but a Saturday i'll try to be there for it too. I doubt they'll do it, but a offical marathon of roar is something i'd get behind and apply for.

Regarding the RMC name, my first thought was "Iron Roar", since it gives the idea of a Roar with real strength behind it. However, somebody else mentioned "Mighty Roar", and honestly, I think that's even better! It gives the same connotation, and sounds cooler. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that ends up being the name!

SFDK made a HUGE mistake. Roar is an awesome wooden roller coaster that is actually quite smooth. The one at SFA is brutal, so that one should have gotten the RMC. I'm really worried now that great woodies now in addition to the crappy ones are getting the iron horse treatment.

SFDK made a HUGE mistake. Roar is an awesome wooden roller coaster that is actually quite smooth. The one at SFA is brutal, so that one should have gotten the RMC. I'm really worried now that great woodies now in addition to the crappy ones are getting the iron horse treatment.

So what you are saying is that theme parks should not invest to make their rides more modern and better? There will always be a small group of people wanting to protest the closing of attractions.

Right now Roar is not a high ranking coaster, and I have not heard too many people heartbroken about this closing. RMC will make this a top ranking coaster, that is intense, smooth, and probably inverting to some extent. I was never a fan of GCI twister layouts, and would take an RMC over most any day.

Terrible mistake? I'm pretty sure Six Flags knows what they're doing at this point. They've had FIVE highly successful i-box conversions all opening to rave reviews. An RMC can NEVER be a terrible mistake.

Here's something radical: What if Roar is getting a WOODEN RMC treatment? Like the wooden track is being replaced with better wooden track in the style of RMC?

Doubt it, again SF has had great success with the i-box treatments why stop now?

SFDK made a HUGE mistake. Roar is an awesome wooden roller coaster.

Roar is not an awesome wooden roller coaster. Really, it's just "ok" at best. In fact, here's how well it did in the last Mitch Hawker coaster poll. It was even ranked lower than Ghostrider! So you can see while it wasn't "hated", it most certainly isn't a fan favorite.

62 GhostRider Knott's Berry Farm

63 Loup Garou Walibi Belgium

64 Wild One SF America

65 Cyclone Luna Park

66 Excalibur Funtown USA

67 Blue Streak Cedar Point

68 Roar SF Discovery Kingdom

69 Regina Tobu Zoo

70 Mammut Tripsdrill

71 Coaster Thrill Ride Puyallup Fair

72 Yankee Cannonball Canobie Lake Park

73 Wild Mouse Luna Park-Sydney

74 Falken Farup Sommerland

So Roar as it is now doesn't even break the top 50 wood coasters, but Roar re-done as an RMC has potential to break into top ten OVERALL coasters. I think that's a huge win in my book!

Edited by robbalvey

^What Robb said. Basically, at this point, RMC hasn't made anything short of outstanding yet (or so I'm told, since I'm regrettably still an RMC virgin), so virtually any wooden coaster, regardless of whether it even needs it, will likely be getting improved upon!

^What Robb said. Basically, at this point, RMC hasn't made anything short of outstanding yet (or so I'm told, since I'm regrettably still an RMC virgin), so virtually any wooden coaster, regardless of whether it even needs it, will likely be getting improved upon!

Exactly. It would be like if someone came along and said to me "Hey, I see you have a totally average 2013 Toyota Corolla that seems to be operating just fine and nothing is really wrong with it. Would you rather have this brand new BMW 7-Series instead?"

Nobody in their right minds would ever say no to that.

Edited by robbalvey

I really don't understand how anyone can call this a bad thing. Do I enjoy Roar as is? Yes. I ride it on every visit. I probably ride it 15-20 times a year. Do I wish they could somehow take out Kong and Boomerang and build us an awesome Top 10 level coaster from the ground up? Of course. However, none of that means that I'm not geeking out like a teenager seeing boobs for the first time at the prospect of having an RMC 30 minutes from my house. I don't care when it is.... I'm there opening day for this thing. Full Metal Roar anyone?