TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster doubts

So sometimes there are things in rollercoaster that cause conflict. For example, the RMC coasters, are they wooden or not??? This thread allows you to post you questions like this about coasters, and hopefully someone will answer it. It could even be more specific, like is the loop on flying aces actually a loop???

This should cause some fun discussion .

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RMC really shouldn't be a question just call them hybrids and move on. I have never understood why they have to be either wood or steel to people. Also just enjoy the things. What it is made of doesn't determine if it is a good coaster or not.

Is Appollos chariot a hyper? It's only 170 feet but it has a 200 foot drop. It doesn't reach 200 feet but I still consider it a hyper because of the drop. Hmm..
I've heard some say tag a hyper coaster must be over 200 ft. at its highest point, while others say 200 ft. drop minimum. I'd say if there is a part of the ride that it actually standing above 200ft. it should be classified as a hyper.

Does it count as an inversion if the track doesn't actually reach 180 degrees?? Hmmmm....
I'd say so.

Is Appollos chariot a hyper? It's only 170 feet but it has a 200 foot drop. It doesn't reach 200 feet but I still consider it a hyper because of the drop. Hmm..

Goliath at SFOG has a largest drop of 175 feet but it's height from lowest point in the track to highest is 200 feet. That one is even more controversial! (Still possibly the best B&M hyper though)

Why does it matter? Think outside of the boxes that are set by the people that like to set up little landmarks in front of coasters and make themselves a big deal. That's what makes you better than them.

The "doubts" that you have are the innovations that are pushing this industry forward. I just think that If you still try to catagorize them according to the standards From 20+ years ago, you're simply not moving forward fast enough.

Why does it matter? Think outside of the boxes that are set by the people that like to set up little landmarks in front of coasters and make themselves a big deal. That's what makes you better than them.

The "doubts" that you have are the innovations that are pushing this industry forward. I just think that If you still try to catagorize them according to the standards From 20+ years ago, you're simply not moving forward fast enough.

RMC could make their coasters out of recycled soda cans for all I care... If it's a good ride, I don't give a flying poop what it's made of or classified as.

Some people think there is no point in discussing and you should just enjoy the ride. That is 50% true, but we are rollercoaster geeks. I would call RMC a steel coaster. Also the drop has to be over 200 ft it does not matter about the height ubove the ground (stratosphere coaster).

They nearly invented the first custom RMC element on Drachen Fire but had to push the Cutback element a little too far so they could count it as an inversion. These days somehow people are a little less concerned with such specifications so makers have a little more freedom -- although in the case of inversions, it's less people being more open minded and more that inversions have passed their saturation point, people realize they're not essential to a great coaster.

I saw an Alpine coaster which is 350' from highest to lowest point, is this a giga? As the speed is regulated to a maximum of 20 MPH, clearly not, but I wouldn't require a single 300' drop either. And a ride in the "gray area" of this definition could be excellent.

I saw an Alpine coaster which is 350' from highest to lowest point, is this a giga? As the speed is regulated to a maximum of 20 MPH, clearly not, but I wouldn't require a single 300' drop either. And a ride in the "gray area" of this definition could be excellent.

I would count an alpine coaster that big a giga. It is not a grey aria, and I don't feel speed is necessary for it to be called a giga. By the way, that sounds like an awesome alpine slide you were talking about!

Is having a detailed knowledge of what constitutes a "hyper" coaster really going to help me get laid tonight?

I don't think I'm your type, but for me, this would definitely help.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Its not. By the way, why did people originally say that Intamin Wooden coasters were not wooden? They feel pretty wooden to me.