TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flat rides you just don't see at theme parks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^It's starkly different depending on which seat you're in when the ride cycle starts because the seat radius is huge compared to the swing height. It can get ridiculous with a bit of ejector hangtime if you're in the right seat, but its a really tame flat on the other side.

It's the opposite of what the Huss Giant Frisbees are like. Where those are consistently forceful with almost no matter to seating, these vary WILDY. Which is why I like them. They encourage re-rides.

Some I would like to see:

Huss Booster

Huss Flyaway

Zamperla Air Race

Zamperla Super Spin

Well, I can help with that:

Linnanmäki (Finland) has a HUSS Booster Park Index

Bobbejaanland (Belgium) has a HUSS Fly Away Park Index

Tivoli Gardens (Denmark) has a Zamperla Air Race Photo TR

Wasalandia (Finland) has a Zamperla Super Spin Link.

Altough these examples exist, I had no trouble picturing them in a park. It's ride that lack in safety and/or comfort that don't exist outside travelling fairs. Tagada and Zipper I think have these covered (altough I have yet to ride them). Also what I think matters is the general ride area, operator's booth and the fencing around them. For example the Enterprise seen in the Mexico TR that had absolutely no fences almost hurt my brain. There's just no way a park could ever do such a thing.

I totally agree with you here. I know these rides do exist but they are not wide spread and mostly over seas. I know there are a few parks in the USA with Air Races but still not enough in my opinion.

Huss Giant Jumps. That was one of the best flats at Canada's Wonderland that I went on. I'd take Sledge Hammer over Leviathan and Windseeker.

I am with you! I thought Sledge Hammer was so much fun!! I do not see why people think they are so boring. I am more bored on Windseeker or Leviathan.

^ I have no idea what ride you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

Think he might be talking about this Matterhorn. This one was at Beech Bend in the 70's - 80's, Cedar Point has one like this still.

430879745_8-8-201023749AM.JPG.a81f29c368d31169ad175be318f5ea09.JPG

Matterhorn, Beech Bend Park

Huss Giant Jumps. That was one of the best flats at Canada's Wonderland that I went on. I'd take Sledge Hammer over Leviathan and Windseeker.

I have to agree that I really did enjoy the two rides I have had on Sledgehammer.

If it wasn't such a maintenance nightmare I would imagine that you might see more of them in parks...but this thing has had more issues than the Topple Tower at Dollywood. To be honest, I'm sort of surprised that they haven't torn it down yet.

We don't see many new Top Spins being built anymore, we just see 'em being removed all over the place.

When was the last installation the last one I remember was the floorless version: Double Rock Spin at everland.

Also Zamperla's Mini Discovery. It's seriously a perfect small-footprint low-budget family flat.

Plopsa Indoor in Holland has one of these by Moser:

We don't see many new Top Spins being built anymore, we just see 'em being removed all over the place.

When was the last installation the last one I remember was the floorless version: Double Rock Spin at everland.

Other parks gave up after Talocan:

Most TopSpins I encountered at parks have a totally lame program - if you get ONE triple-spin you are lucky. Talocan is the seldom exception with one triple-spin and one 5-spin.

Best to ride TopSpin at a carnival here. At Bremen Freimarkt there were 2x 7-spin, 2x 5-spin and 3x triple-spins - at night with full lights package!

Most TopSpins I encountered at parks have a totally lame program - if you get ONE triple-spin you are lucky. Talocan is the seldom exception with one triple-spin and one 5-spin.

Best to ride TopSpin at a carnival here. At Bremen Freimarkt there were 2x 7-spin, 2x 5-spin and 3x triple-spins - at night with full lights package!

I always thought everlands 12 spin cycle was quite intense for a non-carnival top spin, too bad the top scan next door seems to run on a very mild cycle.

^ I guess it's just that parks want something reliable that has a proven track record. Look at the sky swatters, I bet Thorpe and Six Flags are kicking themselves that they went out on a limb for those when they could have just done something easy that was proven.

Another thing I would think might be availability of support. Having seen the Huss Ranger at Hansa-Park break down one day a team from HUSS was onsite the same day - as Bremen is a 3-4 hour drive. So while most Euro parks will have next-day support - if they paid for it - it can take quite a long time overseas, specially if the spare part had to be shipped over the pond which takes weeks itself. It is no wonder that quite a number of German showmen operating HUSS rides come from Bremen...

To keep repair times short it is a good idea to buy from a manufacturer on the same continent...

• 2 weeks later...

Some rides you don't see in parks (unless I'm mistaking) and which could be awesome:

Mission Space - KMG

It's like a big Star Flyer.

Ejection Seat - Technical Park

The Ejection Seat is not the same as a Slingshot, as it uses elastic ropes instead of springs. It's more powerful and you do more flips.

I never seen an Ejection Seat at a park (always Slingshots), but I could be wrong.

Mistral - Mondial

1541.jpg

Park have their pendulum rides (ie. Giant Frisbee), but the Mistral is not one of them.

Capriolo - Mondial

I'm too scared to ride one of those due to the upside down hedgehopping maneuver and the quick gondola rotations that hurt your head. But I guess you could get some awesome dive effects.

After four trips to the US, visiting multiple parks, I am still to get on a Top Scan. I know Canada's Wonderland has one, but they seem to be more popular in Europe. From what I've read, they seem like really fun rides.

img58984c_719.thumb.jpg.50977639a65d5de9832b6bec1d6daeb3.jpg

Top Scan at Canada's Wonderland. Looks fun!