TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I'm also not huge on bone in fried chicken, gravy, $25+ for a meal, etc etc etc. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Well I guess that got missed. Also maybe I'm in the minority that thinks to go fried chicken is the absolute worst to go/delivery food? Hot crispy chicken + plastic/cardboard box + time = steamy and wet and gross and no longer crispy. No worries, I'll just stick to Yelp and TA.

I think we were focusing on the "price" part. . . as the chicken to go is really much cheaper (you can get a meal for as low as $10), and the hotel is right next to the place, so wouldn't have time to get "mushy"

but I get ya. . if not a fan of on-bone chicken, not a fan

12f8ea1c-d3c6-46e0-8e86-1da0021640a7.jpg

^ You also don't have to go into the park, to get the take out chicken, etc.

And it shares space with this wonderful Bakery they also have, for bites and delights.

IMG_1916.JPG.10a1cfdd1257148d2183d8aef39d0520.JPG

Cake! Right beside Mrs. Knott's Take Out Chicken. A five minute walk from the KBF Hotel.

Has anyone been to the park since Sol Spin got stuck in the air a couple days ago? It is no longer listed as closed on the website, so I assume it’s back up and running just fine again.

From a page and a half before...

... Also, Sol Spin is open again!

It's even complete with a picture...

I know, but the day after it reopened (after the long term closure), it got stuck in the air with several people on it (I saw via Instagram) for a while, and I hadn’t seen any reports of it operating since. We know how temperamental that ride is, so it reopening for a day doesn’t necessarily it’s been consistently open since. That was my train of thought.

I went to Knott's today and SOL Spin is running well enough. I actually counted and the large center arm makes 6 counter-clockwise rotations per ride cycle. Silver Bullet and Sierra Sidewinder are back to two trains operations. The old burned fire station across the street has now removed. Grand Sierra Railroad, the smaller children's railroad near Silver Bullet is getting some plywood Peanuts scenery. I am also working on completing my top 20 list of the best meals on their meal program. For meal number three, I was back to the BBQ place for some smoked sausage. It was good but I prefer the tri-tip and pulled pork. The baked beans with bits of bacon were tasty and a new item for me.

IMG_20180125_120559.thumb.jpg.5cfccf9714c0d2597ad3be7cf73433da.jpg

Boardwalk BBQ - smoked sausage, mac n cheese & baked beans

IMG_20180125_123116.thumb.jpg.98c4eab907f233207afb270a4910f068.jpg

Burned fire station is being cleaned up

IMG_20180125_123350.thumb.jpg.259c23ec6365c22631b4a4baa38d57c4.jpg

I think its missing something?

IMG_20180125_123956.thumb.jpg.ef47f4cff94b70b2b1d8e7286b19512c.jpg

Muck clean up in the log ride

IMG_20180125_125343.thumb.jpg.8e08f11fb4ee83036d4a06cc8ae98de0.jpg

New Grand Sierra Railroad Peanuts scenery

IMG_20180125_125417.thumb.jpg.c3ef00485e7f7b0906381ba57c0e4131.jpg

New Grand Sierra Railroad Peanuts scenery

Lol I’m watching the Boardwalk webcam as they’re moving it to different angles. It seems they moved it closer to the scrambler.

that's a cool angle. get's a larger portion of the boardwalk. i see sky cabin going up and down too. hopefully that opens back up soon.

Since I was in the area, I dropped by Knott’s tonight to finally take a couple of rides on Sol Spin. Good thing that I arrived when I did (about 5:30 pm) as it broke down again soon after. It was my first time on one of these models, and I’m generally not a fan of rides that spin in disorienting ways. While I’m glad I got to try this one, it’s not a ride I’d return to in a hurry. I actually found it fairly tame and more weird than intense. It’s a very short ride with a sluggish loading sequence, but I think its brevity is merciful as too much of that kind of motion would make anyone barf. There really aren’t any forces on it to speak of, and I think that rolling around on the floor with a flashlight would produce a similar effect. Having said that, it’s a very cool-looking ride that fits the space well.

The park was relatively quiet, but Ghost Rider’s line was still over 90 mins. So I jumped on Supreme Scream, Montezooma, Silver Bullet, and La Revolution — some of my favorite rides inside and outside of Knott’s. I saw the Sky Cabin running, but I didn’t see if anyone was in it. Hang Time looks great, but I still suspect it’ll be a ride I enjoy watching more than riding. The inversion over the station is especially bizarre looking.

IMG_0394.thumb.jpg.5dfa47981e12851ce2ee7a0ef2b044e3.jpg

Working?

IMG_0406.thumb.jpg.e11c414b72c97d7cb33173e52b75f323.jpg

Not working?

The park was relatively quiet, but Ghost Rider’s line was still over 90 mins. So I jumped on Supreme Scream, Montezooma, Silver Bullet, and La Revolution — some of my favorite rides inside and outside of Knott’s. I saw the Sky Cabin running, but I didn’t see if anyone was in it. Hang Time looks great, but I still suspect it’ll be a ride I enjoy watching more than riding. The inversion over the station is especially bizarre looking.

Whew. 90 minutes! Was that due to one train or is that normal for a random Friday?

Whew. 90 minutes! Was that due to one train or is that normal for a random Friday?

I only peeked at the line, to be honest. I'm guessing it was two trains as that's kind of the norm these days for that ride. It's the one ride in the park where you're guaranteed to have a hefty wait, even when the place seems quiet. It's worth it, though!

By the way, Knott's moved the Boardwalk cam again. Now we can all of HangTime except the top of the lift, and even part of Silver Bullet's lift hill.

And now we can watch some station construction.

EDIT: I replaced the screenshot with an afternoon shot which has more sunlight shining directly on HangTime.

So beautiful.

2117611836_Screenshot(14).thumb.png.b7a66c1f034f8bdcd5360b66834425cc.png

Edited by WestCoasterKing

Any news on the Intamin problem child next-door?

I saw a response the park made to someone on Instagram that said, "No date [for re-open] has been announced yet."

They've been spamming that response to every question on Facebook, Twitter, etc. The only thing they're confirming is that it's not being torn down since a lot of the GP are asking "So it's being closed forever?!" when they get the response of "No date to re-open yet."

Any suggestions for good eats/drinks in walking distance from the park? I've looked at Yelp and seen a couple decent places for curry, tacos, and sushi - any favorites from locals? I'm willing to uber/train/bus a little bit but honestly I'll have been up since 3-4am so little effort goes a long way when I'm walking out of the park at 8pm. I'm staying at the KBF hotel.

Thanks!

Porto's Bakery & Cafe is unique to Southern California, really good and fairly cheap. If you go be sure to try one of their potato balls and a cheese roll pastry. It's about a 10 minute walk from the parks front gate.

Any news on the Intamin problem child next-door?

I saw a response the park made to someone on Instagram that said, "No date [for re-open] has been announced yet."

They've been spamming that response to every question on Facebook, Twitter, etc. The only thing they're confirming is that it's not being torn down since a lot of the GP are asking "So it's being closed forever?!" when they get the response of "No date to re-open yet."

Any suggestions for good eats/drinks in walking distance from the park? I've looked at Yelp and seen a couple decent places for curry, tacos, and sushi - any favorites from locals? I'm willing to uber/train/bus a little bit but honestly I'll have been up since 3-4am so little effort goes a long way when I'm walking out of the park at 8pm. I'm staying at the KBF hotel.

Thanks!

Porto's Bakery & Cafe is unique to Southern California, really good and fairly cheap. If you go be sure to try one of their potato balls and a cheese roll pastry. It's about a 10 minute walk from the parks front gate.

i was going to suggest porto's too, but they close at 8pm. but if you want some pastries during the day, they'll be there, just not after the park closes.

You can take an Uber over to Downtown Disney for an evening, tons of restaurants, shopping and dinning. Splitsville should be opening any day now there.

Locally Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, Rock N' Brews (although kind of expensive) is pretty good, and Portillo's Hot Dogs are all great options near Knott's.

^ Last time I was out there a couple years ago Downtown Disney was still free, up to 3 hours I think it was. Now it's $12 per half hour (3 hours free with a purchase of $20 or 5 hours free with a validation from AMC or any table-side restaurant). Is it that much cheaper to take a Taxi/Uber the 7 miles from Knott's to Disney to avoid the parking fee? I don't know. I haven't done a taxi in a long time (never done Uber). But the last time I did take a taxi it was $20 to go less than 10 miles. And that was here in Washington.

^ Last time I was out there a couple years ago Downtown Disney was still free, up to 3 hours I think it was. Now it's $12 per half hour (3 hours free with a purchase of $20 or 5 hours free with a validation from AMC or any table-side restaurant). Is it that much cheaper to take a Taxi/Uber the 7 miles from Knott's to Disney to avoid the parking fee? I don't know. I haven't done a taxi in a long time (never done Uber). But the last time I did take a taxi it was $20 to go less than 10 miles. And that was here in Washington.

The Knott's Hotel has a free shuttle to Disneyland, so it won't cost you anything if you ride their shuttle to Downtown Disney.

The Knott's Hotel has a free shuttle to Disneyland, so it won't cost you anything if you ride their shuttle to Downtown Disney.

Which is even better to hear since I'm trying to squeeze in half a day at Disneyland now since I likely won't need much time at Knott's.

Porto's looks heavenly! Potato balls, meat pies, cheese rolls... if I have time I'll check it out - maybe one the way out to the JTree. Thanks!

^

Oh. You're serious?

Everybody shuttles to Disney. Disney doesn't shuttle to anybody else.

I think.

P.S. If you do take the shuttle from Knott's to Disney, to go to Downtown Disney, you

won't be let off any closer, than the opposite side of the entry plaza. So it's going to be

a bit of a walk through several hundred people going to (and park hopping too) either park.

^ And I thought the convenience of Knott's Shuttle was awesome!*

*Except for my Early Morning at DL. Knott's (at that time) didn't run a shuttle

that early. Only starting with the park's actual opening times did it run. But there

is a BUS (#460) that gets you to the same parkade area as the shuttle does. And

Knott's has a map to walk to the stop, (which is opposite the far corner of Knott's,

actually) and info about catching the bus. The bus cost $1.75 (2016 cost) one way.

But I have no idea if the return from that same let-off spot works to get you back

(near) to Knott's. I caught the (reserved spot) shuttle back, at the time.

IMG_1881.JPG.d10781dd215b069bb4ff38351ac1611d.JPG

Find this corner sign, turn around, cross main street to Bus Stop #460 to DLR!

IMG_2101.JPG.edcc724198e315ca54ef520766c841b9.JPG

Better yet....here's the map I was given to find the bus stop. Easy!

There was another stop in front of Chase Bank there (Beach Blvd. side).

I was thinking that this was/could be the Return Stop from DLR.