TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) Corporate Thread

Yes, it was awful that Dawn died in that accident but people are acting like everyone that ever worked with a trained, domesticated Killer Whale was in great danger.

Imagine that there was a piece of equipment your wife, partner, or mother worked with had killed people in the past. Their employer limited the information about that in order to get them to use the equipment, and it wound up malfunctioning, leading to their death. Do you think you'd make comparisons to automobile fatalities and chalk it up as bad luck?

the public does not have a choice but to drive an automobile.

Actually, it does. Lots of people don't drive their own cars, especially in the few cities with real public transit. If you buy a car that is defective in such a manner that someone is maimed or killed, there's liability for the manufacturer. There's also liability for construction companies that they construct roads and signage in an appropriate fashion that it doesn't fall on your vehicle, that guardrails don't have systemic failures that lead to them impaling your car and you, or that your car rides on pavement that isn't complete garbage intended to defraud tax payers.

You enter a job with a Killer Whale and don't know of it's inherent risks, that's on you. My Father was a crop duster in the Delta of Arkansas and had two crashes. One from a wind shear event while landing that I witnessed and one from an engine failing. Yet, he still flew afterwards. People make choices on what to do all the time that may endanger them. Swimming in the ocean is fraught with risks from jellyfish to sharks. If someone takes a job as a trainer with killer whales and don't think there is a chance to die well...................

Blackfish WAS deceptively edited and full of misinformation but like all things these days there's one's belief and the inability to waiver from it in spite rational dissemination. It was the one thing that cause me to lose all respect for CNN due it it's financial stake in the hit piece.

http://www.seaworldinvestors.com/news-releases/news-release-details/2018/SeaWorld-Entertainment-Inc-Announces-Leadership-Transition-Plan/default.aspx

1.jpg.6a3d0f278a2698dde7b13d5437d29e82.jpg

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS), a leading theme park and entertainment company, today announced that it is initiating a leadership transition plan. With improving operating and financial performance trends along with substantial progress in enhancing the strategic positioning of the Company's mission-driven brand, the Company's Board of Directors and current President and Chief Executive Officer, Joel Manby, agreed that this is the right time to identify a new CEO as the Company enters its next phase of intensified focus on execution and growth.

Under the plan, current Chief Parks Operations Officer, John T. Reilly, has become interim CEO succeeding Mr. Manby, who has stepped down. Current Chairman of the Board Yoshikazu Maruyama – a 22-year veteran of the global theme park and entertainment industry – has become interim Executive Chairman until a permanent CEO is appointed by the Board, at which time Mr. Maruyama will resume his position as Chairman of the Board of Directors. These changes are effective immediately. Mr. Manby has agreed to assist the Company to ensure a smooth transition.

Donald C. Robinson, Lead Independent Director, said, "The Board agreed that this transition plan is the right approach to advance the Company's progress and create value for all our important stakeholders. We know John will be an excellent leader in this new role and we thank Yoshi for taking on this additional interim responsibility to ensure a smooth transition. Finally, we want to express our deep appreciation to Joel for his leadership and contributions as CEO."

"Over the past three years, Joel has worked tirelessly to strengthen SeaWorld's position as a company that combines entertainment, education, and its important mission to protect marine life and the oceans. Our improving fourth quarter and positive year-to-date trends give us confidence that the steps we have taken position us well for 2018," Mr. Maruyama said.

"John Reilly is a highly experienced operator with decades of theme park experience and a demonstrated ability to improve performance and drive growth through disciplined execution. In addition to serving as Chief Parks Operations Officer, John has served as Park President of SeaWorld San Diego and Busch Gardens Williamsburg, among other roles and has been with the Company for over 32 years. He knows SeaWorld well and understands our opportunities. With one of our most compelling lineups of new rides and attractions, new pricing plans, and comprehensive new sales, marketing and communications initiatives, we are confident we will maintain and accelerate our current momentum under John's experienced direction. The Board and I believe my industry experience complements John's, and so I will be available to him as a resource in this interim period," Mr. Maruyama continued.

"I am so proud of this Company and all we have accomplished to position SeaWorld for continued success by providing fun and truly meaningful experiences that connect our guests to the natural world," said Mr. Manby. "John is an ideal choice to lead the Company, and I feel confident that I leave SeaWorld in incredibly capable hands. I look forward to continuing to work with Yoshi, John, and the entire Board during the transition."

The Board of Directors has engaged a leading executive search firm to assist in the search for Mr. Manby's successor.

Additional Background on John Reilly

John T. Reilly was appointed as the Chief Parks Operations Officer of the Company in April 2016. His role has operational oversight over all of the Company's theme parks. Prior to that, Mr. Reilly served as Park President of SeaWorld San Diego from 2010 until April 2016 and Park President of Busch Gardens Williamsburg from 2008 to 2010. Mr. Reilly has held other positions of increasing responsibility with the Company since 1985. Mr. Reilly serves on the board of trustees of the Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from The College of William & Mary.

You enter a job with a Killer Whale and don't know of it's inherent risks, that's on you.

All animals offer equivalent risk? Fascinating.

My Father was a crop duster in the Delta of Arkansas and had two crashes. One from a wind shear event while landing that I witnessed and one from an engine failing. Yet, he still flew afterwards.

If he made repairs to the plane which had both accidents, sold it or had someone else fly for him, didn't provide any information about the accidents to the purchaser/pilot, and the wings fell off, your father probably would have been sued. So that's the actual equivalency.

Meanwhile, Mamby did so well, SeaWorld lost $117 million dollars last year, saw dropping attendance again, is apparently set to cut another $25 million in costs, and has been replaced by someone from a bankrupt Chinese real estate company being investigated for corruption. Everything is great.

I said, As well as Lance from Screamscape said that it was a bad idea for the chain to go public.

Glad money turned the chain from a 3rd tier (Under Disney/Universal) to a bottom tier (Below Six Flags)

For a company that makes over a billion dollars a year and over $300m in EBITDA, I wanna know where the money is going? Some thoughts:

- Low Cost for Dining Pass

- Busch Gardens Name

- Leasing the land under SeaWorld San Diego

My wish: The company take a page out of Six Flags and add ride(s) to every theme park every year. No more off-years.

Glad money turned the chain from a 3rd tier (Under Disney/Universal) to a bottom tier (Below Six Flags)

By what metric? I'm as frustrated as anyone about the budget cuts (especially at Busch Gardens Tampa) but that's a bit strong.

DarKastle?

Six Flags leaves rides open (Even during the low points of Premier/Shapiro), Adds rides (Don't think I'm biased but a 100ft Larson Looper sounds cooler than VR Simulator), Doesn't leave rides SBNO for years, Doesn't replace rides with "Events areas", and overall seems better managed.

Seriously Six Flags America's 2018 addition is better than Busch Gardens Tampa's addition.

Are you high right now?

Six Flags leaves rides open (Even during the low points of Premier/Shapiro)

Great Adventure alone removed ten rides when Mark Shaprio was at the helm. Ten. In addition, they left Houdini's Great Escape standing but not operating for the entire 2008 season for budget. This is just one park.

Adds rides (Don't think I'm biased but a 100ft Larson Looper sounds cooler than VR Simulator)

In the 3 seasons prior to that simulator they added two adult roller coasters and they applied for a 300 foot height variance next year. The park getting the Larson looper you just mentioned got a Joker clone and a dark ride. Those are extremely comparable, and a lot of people might prefer the Busch Gardens additions to the Six Flags ones.

Doesn't leave rides SBNO for years

20171001_135631.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2fc44f69412b630d02452c70c6698b18--six-flags-tsunami.jpg

Doesn't replace rides with "Events areas"

Seriously Six Flags America's 2018 addition is better than Busch Gardens Tampa's addition.

And Busch Garden's Tampa's 2014 and 2016 additions are each better than anything at Six Flags America period except "maybe" Superman.

My take is this: Six Flags used to suck. They sucked HARD. They still suck at a lot of things; go to Samurai Summit or look how fast their flat rides move. But SEAS is making strides in the direction to make them comparable just as Six Flags is improving, and I flat out can't believe I'm saying that they even merit being in the same breath now. Six Flags did a spectacular job improving operations last year, and the attractions they've been getting are in many ways equivocal to what SEAS is doing, just historically more cost effective (and in the case of the Justice League rides, really fantastic).

As far as Lance's statement, Blackstone was always going to flip SEAS because that's what was best for them. They made multiples back in terms of the purchase price. The problem was that AB ever wound up in the position of being taken over, because the parks lost all the infrastructure of AB around them to save money on everything from trial lawyers to marketing and was forced to do it on their own with a pile of debt on their books. They'd have struggled by without Blackfish, but with Blackfish, its been an unmitigated disaster.

I have said over and over again since the whole Blackfish thing that the park really needs to go back to reminding people that they are a theme park and why it's a lot of fun to go there. If you look at their Twitter feed, it's hard to even tell they are a theme park and they come across more like an animal shelter or preservation group. Their Facebook page is a little better at least.

But why aren't they constantly on their socials showing people what a great "theme park" they are and why people should be going there. I'm not sure the average person who walks through the turnstile really cares about the three hundredth and forty second manatee they've rescued. And I'm not saying those things aren't important, I just don't understand why as a "theme park" they focus so much on it.

Yes, we get it, you are trying to prove to the world that "SeaWorld does good things despite what all those Blackfish assholes say." But nothing the park says is going to change those people's minds, and you're forgetting that people want to come and ride Mako, see the dolphin show, and play around in Shamu's Happy Harbor. THOSE are the things you should be constantly showcasing to people.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing...

I have said over and over again since the whole Blackfish thing that the park really needs to go back to reminding people that they are a theme park and why it's a lot of fun to go there. If you look at their Twitter feed, it's hard to even tell they are a theme park and they come across more like an animal shelter or preservation group. Their Facebook page is a little better at least.

But why aren't they constantly on their socials showing people what a great "theme park" they are and why people should be going there. I'm not sure the average person who walks through the turnstile really cares about the three hundredth and forty second manatee they've rescued. And I'm not saying those things aren't important, I just don't understand why as a "theme park" they focus so much on it.

Yes, we get it, you are trying to prove to the world that "SeaWorld does good things despite what all those Blackfish assholes say." But nothing the park says is going to change those people's minds, and you're forgetting that people want to come and ride Mako, see the dolphin show, and play around in Shamu's Happy Harbor. THOSE are the things you should be constantly showcasing to people.

This x1000.

yep, stop trying to make nice and sell fun.

At this point, it may be necessary to do a restructuring bankruptcy and/or go back to private ownership.

I'll say it the umpteenth time, San Antonio has so much potential in a booming area of the country. And....they need to knock off the Merlin LEGO/Sea life Model with SeaWorld branded Aquariums with Sesame Place play centers and add on site hotels with indoor Aquatica waterparks. Places like Nashville, Denver and so on.

I'll say this, we went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg last year for the first time and if it wasn't for following TPR I'd never have known this park was going downhill. We hit SF America, Hershey, SF Great Adventure and Morey's and we by far enjoyed our day and a half at BGW the most of any of those parks. We thought it was beautiful and had the best staffing of the trip and I'm spoiled from going to SDC all the time. If SEAS did go the Bankruptcy route, I'd love for HFE to entertain picking them up and taking them private. These parks are value added like SDC and DW. A Merlin like concept like I mentioned would be a good add at Branson and Pigeon Forge as those park are getting ever closer to year round ops.

For those that thought they won on the Killer Whales, well Russia and China are laughing their asses off. a whole bunch of places are coming online that will house and host killer whale shows. Good luck persuading those folks.

I was just reading through this thread and thinking it would be great timing if SeaWorld had a great new attraction to open this year...

I honestly forgot they're in the process of building a rapids ride opening this summer, one that actually looks kinds cool! That might be part of the problem.....

I was just reading through this thread and thinking it would be great timing if SeaWorld had a great new attraction to open this year...

I honestly forgot they're in the process of building a rapids ride opening this summer, one that actually looks kinds cool! That might be part of the problem.....

I second this, Infinity Falls actually looks like the best attractions in terms of ride experience opening up in the area over Toy Story Land and Fast and Furious, and they've hardly done ANY promotion aside for it aside from the initial reveal and the raft vehicle reveal at IAAPA.

Back to a previous post, I agree SW does need to go back to reminding people how awesome their attractions are and how they are a theme park. SW has a really strong lineup of attractions between Kraken, Manta, Mako, Journey to Atlantis, TurtleTrek, soon to be Infinity Falls, Antarctica and Wild Arctic (Last 2 are arguable but have awesome animal habitats!) Their park to planet messaging is nice, but the aforementioned issue is that it makes them appear more as a conservation group than a theme park. The messaging that SW is a good place for animals should be IN the park leaving people feeling like their visit made a difference, not in convincing people to come to the park.

Also I'm still not sure why SW is not capitalizing off of one of their own IPS, SeaRescue is a pretty well known TV show and it's apart of their rescue division! Some kind of simulator where you're on a boat going to save a dolphin would be epic!

Exactly. A park like Silver Dollar City, where Joel Manby came from, is constantly putting out interesting little videos about their new ride opening up this year. It's fresh in everyone's mind and anyone who is interested in theme parks knows all about it because the park keeps those people informed, even if you live halfway across the country.

I live 4 miles from SeaWorld and I have COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN about their new ride because no one ever seems to talk about it, most certainly not the park. In the last six months I've had *ONE* email from SeaWorld about Infinity Falls. I've had at least a dozen about Time Traveler.

And I am actually excited about that ride! But if it's not a priority for the park to talk about, it sadly falls off my radar as I'm giving my attention to other parks who are talking about their new rides.

Again, IMO, this is part of the "problem" that is going on with SeaWorld lately. I feel like they have forgotten they are a 'theme park.'

I mean, isn't SeaWorld San Diego also opening up a new roller coaster this year? I think I've had exactly ZERO emails about that ride in the past several months!

Some kind of simulator where you're on a boat going to save a dolphin would be epic!

No! No! No! God, NO!!! We have enough simulators here in Orlando... Please do not suggest any more!

Edited by robbalvey

I second this, Infinity Falls actually looks like the best attractions in terms of ride experience opening up in the area over Toy Story Land and Fast and Furious, and they've hardly done ANY promotion aside for it aside from the initial reveal and the raft vehicle reveal at IAAPA.

Back to a previous post, I agree SW does need to go back to reminding people how awesome their attractions are and how they are a theme park. SW has a really strong lineup of attractions between Kraken, Manta, Mako, Journey to Atlantis, TurtleTrek, soon to be Infinity Falls, Antarctica and Wild Arctic (Last 2 are arguable but have awesome animal habitats!) Their park to planet messaging is nice, but the aforementioned issue is that it makes them appear more as a conservation group than a theme park. The messaging that SW is a good place for animals should be IN the park leaving people feeling like their visit made a difference, not in convincing people to come to the park.

Also I'm still not sure why SW is not capitalizing off of one of their own IPS, SeaRescue is a pretty well known TV show and it's apart of their rescue division! Some kind of simulator where you're on a boat going to save a dolphin would be epic!

I agree, very little promo work, Mako flew under the radar outside of message boards. Hell, it's still flying unknown.

Exactly. A park like Silver Dollar City, where Joel Manby came from, is constantly putting out interesting little videos about their new ride opening up this year. It's fresh in everyone's mind and anyone who is interested in theme parks knows all about it because the park keeps those people informed, even if you live halfway across the country.

I live 4 miles from SeaWorld and I have COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN about their new ride because no one ever seems to talk about it, most certainly not the park. In the last six months I've had *ONE* email from SeaWorld about Infinity Falls. I've had at least a dozen about Time Traveler.

And I am actually excited about that ride! But if it's not a priority for the park to talk about, it sadly falls off my radar as I'm giving my attention to other parks who are talking about their new rides.

Again, IMO, this is part of the "problem" that is going on with SeaWorld lately. I feel like they have forgotten they are a 'theme park.'

I mean, isn't SeaWorld San Diego also opening up a new roller coaster this year? I think I've had exactly ZERO emails about that ride in the past several months!

Some kind of simulator where you're on a boat going to save a dolphin would be epic!

No! No! No! God, NO!!! We have enough simulators here in Orlando... Please do not suggest any more!

I agree, no more screens. I think even the new out right coasters at WDW and UNI will even have screens.

They need to add a new ride(s) to every theme park every year. Busch Gardens Tampa has not only not added anything for 2 years straight but they've closed stuff (And left them to rot) during that time. They've also raised admission to $105.

I hope all the people that wanted them to go public are happy.

Oh well, Six Flags Tampa & Hurricane Harbor in 2020?

I agree with SeaWorld needing to market their attractions better. I too had forgotten about Infinity Falls even though it looked quite good!

Then again the brochure last summer for SeaWorld San Antonio still called the Great White their tallest and fastest coaster even though they have a pseudo hyper coaster standing right behind it.

1681281386_SeaWorldSanAntonio.thumb.JPG.d8171060fe5387306229888f1535d1e1.JPG

I agree with SeaWorld needing to market their attractions better. I too had forgotten about Infinity Falls even though it looked quite good!

Then again the brochure last summer for SeaWorld San Antonio still called the Great White their tallest and fastest coaster even though they have a pseudo hyper coaster standing right behind it.

Any thought when it will open? Rumors are saying 4th of July.

Edited by Rollercoaster Rider

They haven't even started construction yet.

What are you talking about???

This is what I'm talking about. Here is a press release that I got in from SeaWorld today...

Orlando, Fla. (February 28, 2018) – This morning, 17 endangered sea turtles were returned to their natural environment by the SeaWorld Orlando rescue team at Canaveral National Seashore in Titusville. The majority of the returned sea turtles were rescued in New England and flew to Florida for treatment late last year.

In early December, more than 40 cold-stunned Kemp’s ridley sea turtles arrived at Tampa International Airport to begin rehabilitation at multiple Florida facilities. The reptiles were rescued from frigid northern waters by the Massachusetts Audubon Society and stabilized at the New England Aquarium before their cross-country flight.

Upon arrival in Orlando, SeaWorld’s rescue team conducted full examinations to determine the best treatment for each sea turtle. Many of the animals were suffering from pneumonia, some were also treated for corneal ulcers and malnutrition. After three months of individualized care, the turtles were cleared for return to the ocean.

Rescued earlier this winter from the Atlantic Coast, two green sea turtles also returned home to the sea this morning. One of the turtles was treated for shell abrasions and the other for injuries resulting from ingested fishing line and hooks. Dr. Lydia Staggs, one of SeaWorld’s veterinarians, conducted the challenging hook removal surgery successfully, and both animals were cleared for return along with the highly-endangered Kemp’s ridley turtles.

In collaboration with government agencies and partner marine life facilities, more than 2,000 sea turtles have been rescued by the SeaWorld Orlando team since 1980. For more than 50 years, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has helped animals in need – ill, injured, orphaned or abandoned, with the goal of returning them to the wild. More than 31,000 animals have been rescued by the expert animal rescue team that is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you see an injured marine animal, you can help by calling the FWC hotline at 888-404-3922 or by dialing *FWC on a cellular device.

1032420212_Rescueteamdeliversturtlestotheocean_6_preview.thumb.jpeg.dfa53ce29524160b168bc7aa799e7ad6.jpeg

And this is all GREAT, and trust me, I *LOVE* the turtle rescue pics and news! It warms my heart to see this! But...

Where is the news on the new ride?

Where is the focus on SeaWorld being a THEME PARK?

I just feel like I get an unbalanced amount of press releases like this one focusing on the animals. I really would love to talk about the park and the awesome rides, shows, and events, and even though we DID just do a great trip report on their Food & Wine Festival, I've not seen a single image or release on Infinity Falls since IAAPA. That just seems weird to me, right?

With Infinity Falls my only thought is that it's still far enough away from opening that maybe they're saving their marketing efforts until closer to that date. Seems like I saw a construction update somewhere recently and the site was still basically nothing but concrete forms and dirt piles, nothing that resembled a water ride so I get not pushing those kinds of updates.

Then again something, anything, promoting the new ride would be nice, but if they have a marketing strategy based around a timeline for the opening or something I get that. Promote the conservation during slower months, push the rides and theme park aspect closer to the busier spring/summer/christmas seasons, then again whatever they've been doing has'n't really been working so maybe I need to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

You nailed it. What Sea World does is GREAT for the animals, but as long as they keep the focus on the animals...the cloud of blackfish will hang over them. Just keep building rides and market the rides. People know Sea World has animals already.

You nailed it. What Sea World does is GREAT for the animals, but as long as they keep the focus on the animals...the cloud of blackfish will hang over them. Just keep building rides and market the rides. People know Sea World has animals already.

This is a Corp that has 3 of their park's in the World Top 25 on TripAdvisor. Knock it if you want but it's widely viewed. In Fact, Discovery Cove is #2. Where's the ad touting these facts.