TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think Denard Robinson could be a running back in the NFL?

I'd think he has a much better shot at being successful in the NFL as a running back rather than a quarterback.

Georgia Tech? Oh wait, they were always supposed to suck.

^^Maybe it was buried at the bottom of the schedule, kind of like how I could barely make out Georgia Tech in the "other receiving votes" category at the bottom of the AP Poll.

Wait, they play football in the ACC?

Wait, Georgia Tech has a football team?

I got nothing. Is it signing day yet?

South Carolina? That's the school with that one guy who delivered a monster hit, right? That other USC should try winning a national title before they can claim to be the real USC.

Is it signing day yet?

He got ran out of town in Washington after a horrible 2011 season, but while at USC he was a great DL coach and recruiter. Very passionate/high energy coach. Hard to say how he was as a defensive coordinator, since Pete Carroll still had a ton of control over the D while he was at USC. Whether it was him or Carroll responsible, the defenses under his time as coordinator were very aggressive---lots of linebacker and corner blitzes, with the safeties deeper as protection.

We'll see, but everyone around our program is really excited right now. I don't know if it's a bad sign when a former DC from the likes of Washington and USC winds up little ole Western Kentucky, or if it's a good sign. I mean everyone expects Petrino to be in and out in a few years so getting on his staff no matter what the pay rate might be worth it in the long run.

I guess the reputation of the mighty SEC rests on the shoulders of Alabama now. I would tease the Florida fans on the boards, but...they still looked better than USC in getting their butts kicked.

^I think the odds are pretty darn good, that kid is uneblievable and Texas A&M is only going to get better now that they have unofficially won the recruiting rights to the state of Texas. I mean at this point with A&M playing in the SEC they are bound to get a ton of coverage next year with Manziel back so why would any elite talent from Texas want to go to Texas or Oklahoma instead of Texas A&M? I bet he wins at least one more if the voters don't completely screw him (see Tim Tebow 2008).

BCS Championship game is tonight, any predictions? My official prediction is that in a semi-low scoring game Alabama wins by single digits but completely physically dominates Notre Dame, it's going to be one of those games where the score makes the outcome look closer then it actually was. Alabama whips Notre Dame and wins 26-17 (Alabama gets a safety at some point, maybe the first half).

^ I'm not so sure A&M will win the recruiting battle in the state of Texas that easily. Yeah, they're definitely the flavor of the week right now, but I'd still say that 90% of Texas and Oklahoma youth are bred to play at the U of Texas or Oklahoma if given the opportunity. The Manziel effect may win out short term, but with the Longhorn Network in place, I seriously doubt those deep pocket Texas boosters will allow A&M to steal too many blue chippers.

Also, I love that you threw in a safety in your prediction.

And I also agree, barring injury, I think Manziel's odds are pretty good for another one. I'll go as far as saying I've never seen someone so young have that much field presence and football IQ. The only athletes I can quickly compare him too aren't even football players. Honestly, this kid sees and feels the field like Wayne Gretzky or Paul Kariya. He's that special. Unfortunately though, as with any scrambling quarterback, he will catch that one hit that does him in for awhile, if not for his career. It's just a matter of time.

Wait, I just figured it out. He's kind of like watching Bret Favre in his prime....only with better decision making.

^Eh, we'll see about the recruiting battle but college football is slowly turning into a sport with a "what have you done for me lately" kind of attitude, and two or three big time seasons by A&M paired with two or three average seasons by Texas and Oklahoma (Texas is in the middle of that slump right now) will swing that region in a big way (see Oregon 2007 to present and Alabama 2003-2006). I'll give you the fact that the history and tradition plays a part in "breeding" the kids to want to play for Texas and OU which will certainly help a program like that get back in the national spotlight quicker after some average years but I still have a feeling that the SEC exposure combined with Manziel fever is going to lift A&M to levels that program has never seen before, even after Manziel is slangin it around in the NFL (most likely for the Dallas Cowboys after Jerra goes all in and trades away 13 draft picks to move up to #1 in the 2015 NFL draft). Don't forget that A&M has some deep pockets of their own, I think their football program is still in the top 10 or 15 of estimated total worth in the NCAA.

I hate the fans of both these teams so much I don't know who to root for. Granted I know a few Notre Dame fans who are not idiots, but the only Alabama graduates I know that are not a-hole fans and the ones who don't even care about football.

I'd rather see Alabama win as I think they are the better team, both I wouldn't by surprised if ND figures out a way the win. But first they need to stop Alabama's run game. I know ND's defense is better than average, but this will be the true test.

Edited by larrygator

Well, I had hoped that wasn't going to happen, and that it would have been closer, but I guess that's what you get when Alabama has six weeks to prepare. And when ND decides that tackling is something that really isn't necessary. Congrats, Alabama, on another National Championship.

dt