TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump time...

We're less than a week away from the unofficial start of the 2013 season: signing day!

I'll be taking a few hours away from the focus on basketball to follow more intently this week.

I envy the college football fans that aren't distracted by the success of their basketball team. Not really!

Edited by larrygator

Hey, USC beat UCLA...that's as good as it gets for me! Fitting how they put the exclamation point on USC's disappointing season, and then USC returned the favor by adding another bullet point to the fire Ben Howland website.

^^^ We will see how good the Gators basketball team is next week when the Cats come to town......

Signing day is an exciting time for all programs but Im kind of sick if all the media attention it's getting these days. I find it ridiculous that these kids are having the televised announcements, and the hat switches, and all the silly theatrics just to pick which school they're going to before they have ever accomplished anything at the collegiate level. Basketball is getting ridiculous as well, as big of a fan as I am of Nerlens Noel his whole turn around in the chair to reveal the UK logo shaved in his head thing on ESPN was lame. Nothing like giving opposing fans bulletin board material before you've ever stepped foot in campus.

Joey, is that Jason Hatcher kid from Louisville Trinity still committed to USC? A lot of my Kentucky sources were saying he had unofficially de-committed and was considering UK, Louisville and a bunch of others, yet other sources were saying he was still committed to USC all along. Freaking soap opera, but apparently USC has had several decommitments over the past couple of weeks?

^The last report I read said that he had recommitted to USC after an in-home visit from Kiffin and Oregeron...but who knows.

USC did has some de-commits, mainly because of the limitations of only having 18 scholarships (thanks NCAA). The main one that they're still trying to get back is the DT kid. One guy didn't want to wait until June to enroll (one of the top rated safeties took his early enrollee spot, since that was the only way he was going to commit to USC), and another one had a torn ACL and didn't want to wait (wanted to enroll early to get a school to foot his medical bill/rehab).

But since it is USC, everything makes news...no one is going to hate on Alabama for over signing and forcing kids into medical retirements/greyshirts...

^The last report I read said that he had recommitted to USC after an in-home visit from Kiffin and Oregeron...but who knows.

USC did has some de-commits, mainly because of the limitations of only having 18 scholarships (thanks NCAA). The main one that they're still trying to get back is the DT kid. One guy didn't want to wait until June to enroll (one of the top rated safeties took his early enrollee spot, since that was the only way he was going to commit to USC), and another one had a torn ACL and didn't want to wait (wanted to enroll early to get a school to foot his medical bill/rehab).

But since it is USC, everything makes news...no one is going to hate on Alabama for over signing and forcing kids into medical retirements/greyshirts...

I spoke too soon. Apparently Jason Hatcher made it official he will sign with UK. And USC lost a top CB to FSU. And a DE to Texas A&M. Got to love 17-18 year old kids being put into the spotlight...tough for both them and the schools. Now USC is caught with its pants down so to speak, since all these guys went public right before signing day.

I just read this on a Kentucky fan site, and again yeah college signing day is still ridiculous. Don't commit unless you are truly committed, if your not truly committed don't commit until signing day. I don't know much about this kid but if Kentucky is ever going to succeed they have to keep the in state talent in state. Probably still won't be enough to consistently compete with Bama, Florida, and Georgia, but it's a start.

I haven't read much about what my Toppers are signing tomorrow but for Petrino's first class it should be interesting...

So I wonder what the singing bonus was at Ole Miss?

How dare you accuse Nkemdiche's mom of being the Nigerian Princess running a get rich quick scam There is no connection between her and Prince Desmond.

Edited by larrygator

^Speaking of mom's, the mom of the kid who wanted to commit to Arkansas might be the best story of signing day: she literally bailed on her son so he couldn't sign with Arkansas (letters of intent need the guardian's signature as well).

Second best story of signing day: kid with Auburn tattoo signing with Alabama.

Not that the SEC's dominance needs any more affirmation, but Kentucky just had their best class in a long time, a class ranked nationally as the 27th or 28th best recruiting class and this top 30 recruiting class (for whatever that's worth) is good enough for the 13th best class in the SEC.........

I refuse t o give any of these kids the time of day until they do something on the field. Fuck the antics. I just don't get the hype around signing day (note: my school doesn't get much hype.. which may be why I don't care. Even if they did though..)

In related news, I'm most excited about GT signing a kicker (#3 in the nation) - we haven't had a good kicker in years

This is why I don't pay an ounce of attention to signing day....

The Canes 1999 recruiting class wasn't even ranked in the top 10: Philip Buchanon, Vernon Carey, Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Bryant McKinnie, Clinton Portis, Mo Sikes, Jason Geathers.

It's simply amazing to me how the industry has evolved to let an inordinate amount of armchair quarterbacks grow into actual deciding factors on these players' values. It seems like any halfwit j***off with a little capital, a bunch of idiot friends, and a business plan could create a "scouting combine" of his own and then promote these kids based on their own unofficial and unprofessional thoughts of what makes a "blue chip" prospect.

It's simply amazing to me how the industry has evolved to let an inordinate amount of armchair quarterbacks grow into actual deciding factors on these players' values. It seems like any halfwit j***off with a little capital, a bunch of idiot friends, and a business plan could create a "scouting combine" of his own and then promote these kids based on their own unofficial and unprofessional thoughts of what makes a "blue chip" prospect.

And from my perspective that's more or less exactly what has happened. Someone figured out how to make a little money off of these kids and now they are exploiting everyone. The whole system is a joke to me, I saw Western signed a kid who was ranked as the nations 24th best offensive guard? What makes this kid better than the 24th best guard but not as good as the 23rd ranked guard? It's all a big raquet...

^You know it's all a rouse when you have to pay for an ESPN insider account to access the recruiting information, same thing for all of the rivals sites and yahoo recruiting sites and all. It's all a joke, a star ranking doesn't reflect attitude or work ethic just a 40 time and a vertical jump number. Is a 3 star player from Florida going to Kentucky better than a 2 star kid from Kentucky who wants to play for the school he grew up following?

Clay Mathews started as a walk on for USC. Aaron Rodgers was a 3* QB with no other scholarship offers except from Cal.

Lane Kiffin just finished a 7-6 season with a bunch of supposed 4* and 5* talent. Meanwhile Stanford has gone to three straight BCS games with a roster full of mostly 2-4* talent.

^ Exactly.

I barely care about the NFL Draft and now I'm supposed to care about this non-event because ESPN says so? Not for a second.

The only thing I know about National Signing Day is that kid that put a tattoo on his arm for one school and ended up choosing another. I have no idea which school he went to but they must be so proud. They obviously got a genius.

Heck, NFL teams don't even know who's the best. Alex Smith drafted #1 and Aaron Rodgers drafted #24 in 2005 draft.

^Exactly. Imagine that your an up and coming assistant coach with a good sized program where the fans and want to see 4 and 5 star "talent". If you have a kid like Clay Mathews who is only listed as a 2 or 3 star talent and you recruit him and he doesn't pan out it's your fault for signing him, but if you sign a 4 or 5 star who doesn't pan out then it's their fault for living up to their expectation. It's hard to justify taking a risk on a kid who isn't as highly "ranked", even though the rankings are mostly ridiculous to begin with

One of my old coaches told me this happens to them a lot, they might find a kid that no on knows about because he's from a small school or doesn't do the camp/combine circuit in the summer even though he can really play at a high level, but If he doesn't have any offers, or isn't 3 or 4 star ranked then it's hard to pursue him. On the flip side, if a kid goes to a football factory and tests well at a combine he may end up being a 3 or 4 star ranked player even though he's really not that good. Sometimes as soon as a kid has an offer from a decent school, everyone else will make an offer just so their in consideration. You better believe that if Florida offers a scholarship to a kid then Alabama and Georgia are gonna follow suit whether they've really evaluated him or are even interested in the first place.

Basketball recruiting is a whole different mess, at least in football there's no AAU.......