TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Launched Coaster opinions

Mr. Freeze was probably the most underrated coaster I've been on, I loved the hell out of that ride. Of course everyone loves Maverick, it's got everything in a coaster; airtime, inversions, twists, drops - and I haven't had any problems with it being rough. California Screamin' is kind of weak but the ride overall is pretty great.

Wicked Twister's launch is fun when you come through the station the second time around, impulse coasters are fun! I really forget about those rides.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to prefer magnetic launches over launch systems using cable/pusher

Magnetic

Intamin - Cheetah Hunt

Mack - Blue Fire - can't wait for multi-launch Helix

Gerstlauer - launched Eurofighter - Fluch von Novgorod

Cable/Pusher

Schwarzkopf - Shuttle-Loop flywheel

Intamin - Xcelerator/Kanonen/...

Vekoma - Rock'n'Roller Coaster

I would really love to see a launched El Loco. However, I would rather go on a Premier Rides or Intamin launched coaster excluding the choices.

Also, I personally think B&M should build more "launched" coasters like Incredible Hulk at IOA. I've never ridden it, but I love the idea of slowly going along on a lift hill and then being shot forward unexpectedly. Anyone else?

I think and hope that coasters like Cheetah Hunt and Helix are the future. With this tech you can built coasters which a nearly unlimited in length - the only limiting factor is the bank account of the park ordering it and space available.

• 2 months later...
I think and hope that coasters like Cheetah Hunt and Helix are the future. With this tech you can built coasters which a nearly unlimited in length - the only limiting factor is the bank account of the park ordering it and space available.

Technically though, haven't coasters like the Beast and the Ultimate shown that that's always been true? Although a second launch definitely breaks up the pacing much less than a second lift hill does. Of course, launches themselves are also more prone to break downs, so I'm not sure we'll ever see coasters with six or seven launches.

^^-- I had one idea ... LIM/LSMs are somewhat speed limited. But, that could take you uphill, slowing down, and another launch could occur, which could potentially take you even higher (etc.). The negative is the elevated launch(es) would need to be supported, so I don't know if it could give you more coaster for the $$$ -- unless terrain was also involved.

Since launches can avoid the undesirable impact of a mid-course lift on pacing, I'd like to see a coaster that starts out slow, works its way down a hill from the station with increasing speed for the first portion of the ride, and then launches. (As part of the first portion, the first couple of turns could be unbanked.)

I've only been on 2 launched coasters, V2 (SFGAm) and Sidewinder (Elitches).

V2 was my first launch coaster and I thought it was terrifying, though I was younger then. Really fun ride!

Sidewinder feels less like launching, and more like being pushed faster and faster towards the edge of a cliff Especially going backwards when you can't see the drop! It is really terrifying the first time, and just awesome for the next rides on.. The ejector drops and forceful loop have pushed Sidewinder pretty high on my list!

For reference, these are my current launcher credits:

Intamin:

-V2 (SFDK)

-California Screamin'

Premier:

-Superman: Ultimate Flight (SFDK)

-Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

Zierer:

-Verbolten

At this point, I think I prefer Intamins. The others I've tried often have several gradual launches, but California Screamin' and V2 have nice, quick launches.

In my opinion Intamin have the market cornered - Volcano, Superman Escape, Maverick, Xcelerator just for starters. Their (tire launched!) Jet Rescue is a fantastic family coaster, much more thrilling than Backlot Stunt Coaster or Verbolten (although Verbolten's drop is a cool effect).

I think right now, Intamin has the best launched coasters. That may change however if B/M enters the market though I doubt they will.

No I think B&M may enter the launched market. B&M has to stay competitive in the market, especially these days. I also remember a comment they made, something like "yes, we will do a launch coaster. We will do that the client orders."

Which of these 3 would you prefer for your local park if they didn't already have a launch coaster:

S&S El Loco (but with a launch)

or

Launched Vekoma

or

Maurer Söhne Launched X-Car

Which is best?

Smoothest?

Biggest appeal?

Most fun?

Obviously the El Loco doesn't exist with launch, but if you have tried the 'normal' El Loco, try to imagine it with a launch...

Instead of the El Loco, can I choose this model instead?

If you were to choose your favourite launch coaster from ANY manufacturer which would it be?

Right now Intamin has the best launched rides, no doubt, but B&M is going to eventually start making some launched rides, and those could have some serious potential. I would also love to see a launched Intamin pre-fab. That would be insane.

I don't understand why B&M would need to start making launched rides when several other manufacturers have that area well covered. Why would any park want them to build a launched coaster? What would it even be like? A launch into big sweeping inversions that are otherwise the same as every other B&M? What's the point?

^ It's because B&M's are known for their popularity with guests, extreme reliability, and visual appeal. Parks want that and launch coasters are not the most reliable rides, historically. So, if B&M can produce a well thought out and reliable launched ride, you can bet all your money that they will start popping up everywhere. That and B&M is one of the best, if not the best, manufacturers in the world along with Intamin.

Having been on many launch coasters, Intamin is by far my favorite. I always have preferred hydraulic launches to LSM. That being said, LSM is definitely more reliable and will probably start to phase the hydraulic out as the technology becomes more advanced. I really miss good ol' Hypersonic XLC, though. That was an insane launch- I have never been on any other Compressed Air launches though so I can't really give too much input on them.