TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's North East USA Tour Official Report!

I also want to borrow a kid just to go back to magic forest and take pictures of the nightmare inducing statues.

Same!

Since The Great Escape didn't have an amazing coaster collection or many unique flats, I enjoyed spending my time on relaxing rides like Thunder Alley (a stand-out car ride for me), the slow skyride, the swan boats, and the train.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say, I had the absolute best time on those kiddie coaster rollbacks at Magic Forest, I laugh everytime I think about it! I'm thrilled the video is up, now I can show people that it really was true!

The Great Escape really was a relaxing park and was nice to just stroll around and take it easy. I think I spent about 15 bucks on the water canons betweeb the log ride and river rapids nailing TPR peeps, of course, I wasn't the only one doing that, you guys all know who you are!

Edit: Is it bad that I although I was in the group photo, that I don't even remember where to find me?

Great Escape was a totally unexpected awesome little park and the Comet was actually quite awesome. We also need to talk about the randomness and only bit of theming that was on the log flume... the lumberjack and his big "tree trunk" strategically placed. Still cracks me up thinking about it.

Also I just want to say that the overall theme of this trip seemed like it was unexpected awesome smaller parks that were tons of fun.

That lumberjack was hilarious! We were cracking up at that point.

I loved Great Escape too. I find that I have more fun at the small parks than the huge corporate parks.

The statues at Magic Forest were amazing! I sent a picture of the Allison rabbit to my cousin and creeped her out.

http://themeparkreview.com/parks/pimages/Great_Escape/TPRs_North_East_2011_Tour/301598_10150305308023566_194340658565_7891166_2844261_n.jpgCarson City is a pretty scary place!

Cannot possibly be more correct. The place is nothing more than crime and politicians, and what's the difference between the two?

Wow! I really have to try and make it to Great Escape... it has like a gazillion things I like. A great out-and-back woodie, old school storybook land theming and Cinderella wearing the wrong color dress! The roll back video was awesomely funny to see - what was up with the random Space Man theming in the park?

^ We really weren't anywhere near Darien Lake on this trip. The closest to Darien Lake we would have been on this trip would have been about 250 miles away when we were in Pittsburgh. A bit too far out of the way to make a stop.

And honestly, I was so tired, I didn't really have the legs for Darien Lake.

And plus, during that leg of the trip, we were still pretty far from Darien Lake.

I'll just go out on a limb here and say that it will definitely be an add-on, or part of, a future TPR trip.

But in all seriousness, Great Escape was a very nice place! Did NOT feel like a typical SF park (ok, there were ads, and theme park prices) and had a lot of remnants from its earlier days, plus a lot of family rides, car rides, a swan ride, and a train. Plus, Google was there filming!

Comet was very fun - I kept thinking that these old ACE landmarks would be rough and uncomfortable, when, in reality, they were very fun! I don't really recall any portions of the ride that were rough or painful - it had some nice little pops of airtime, too.

Also, there were some good water canons - sorry to those of you who got wet on the log ride.

I am glad you guys enjoyed the Great Escape. The park gets alot of negativity from both the local general public who think the park is turning too corporate and complain about prices, and the local coaster fanboys who want TGE to be more like the other Six Flags parks with more thrills and less family oriented stuff. I think Robb was spot on when saying the park has a great mix of family and classic rides while having enough thrill rides to remind you its owned by Six Flags. I just wish a little bit more money was invested into the park things went downhill this season a bit such as removing the trabant ride but leaving the platform, and putting tables on it and that scary looking clown head use to be a nice metal statue of an eagle.

Edited by nhman93

I am glad you guys enjoyed the Great Escape the park gets alot of negative from both the local general public who think the park is turning too corprate and complain about prices and the local coaster fanboys who want TGE to be more like the other SIx Flags parks with more thrills and less family oriented stuff. I think Robb was spot on when saying the park has a great mix of family and classic rides while having enough thrill rides to remind you its owned by Six Flags. I just wish a little bit more money was invested into the park things went downhill this season a bit such as removing the trabant ride but leaving the platform and putting tables on it and that scary looking clown head use to be a nice metal statue of an eagle.

It's probably similar to how the locals here treat SFMM - it's a love/hate relationship. While people outside of the area/CA might drool over SFMM and think it's the greatest place on earth (in terms of coaster count), us locals might fault it over the way SF runs the place (operations, wrapping the trains with ads, removing certain rides, taking forever with construction, etc.).

I think the best thing about Great Escape was the area - you can't really beat upstate NY for its beauty (ok, you can, but it's nice to see a theme park in the middle of a forest).

I must say, I had the absolute best time on those kiddie coaster rollbacks at Magic Forest, I laugh everytime I think about it! I'm thrilled the video is up, now I can show people that it really was true!

Seriously guys... you have no idea how much I laughed watching that video hahahahaha!!! IT IS SO HILARIOUS!!!

I was laughing so hard (I think you can see it in the video), but poor KT was concerned! I think it was her first ever roll back! Luckily once I explained to her what was happening and that we weren't going to die she thought it was pretty funny as well.

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed The Great Escape.It's my "home" park and I feel The Comet is truly underrated.Too bad Six Flags

can't do something with Nightmare( closed indoor coaster)What's the rumor on The Alpine Bobsled? Also I remember going to Magic Forest when they had a horse diving show.

Wow! I really have to try and make it to Great Escape... it has like a gazillion things I like. A great out-and-back woodie, old school storybook land theming and Cinderella wearing the wrong color dress! The roll back video was awesomely funny to see - what was up with the random Space Man theming in the park?

I'm betting the Spacemen came from a neighboring park, Time Town, that closed three decades ago.

http://home.comcast.net/~rememberingtimetown/history.htm

Edited by larrygator

I really liked Great Escape, I missed going here in 2009 with a trip my dad and myself did through the northeast. However on that trip we made it no farther then Seabreeze in Rochester, New York and Darien Lake. Great Escape was a Six Flags park, that didn't act like a Six Flags park at all. Well, it had the employees' bright yellow dress shirts in ops among some Six Flags indicators but the park acted like a normal park. They didn't act or operate like a major chain park at all and the locals were great to talk to. Comet was an amazing woodie, I got a decent amount of rides' in ERT and I rode it several times more throughout the day.

The prices may be there, and it may have the ads/branding. But, the park is worth the visit if you have the time. I also remember TPR members broke the S&S shot side of Sasquatch.