TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Going to Universal Studios Island Of Adventure

In the beginning of June my school is going on a trip to Orlando and one of the days we're going to Islands Of Adventure. I've never been, so I have a few questions.

1) Any coasters/attractions that I should definitely go on?

2) How crowded is it during the summer?

3) Are the waits long?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have questions, I have answers.

1) My favorite attraction in the park is the Jurassic Park River Adventure. Most elaborate boat chute I've EVER ridden.

2) It's usually very crowded in the summer. Obviously, weekdays aren't usually as crowded as weekends. Not sure about the least crowded day, though.

3) Yes, the waits are usually quite long.

Have fun!!!

Show your friends how smart and prepared you are and do yourself a favor getting the Express Pass. If your school is there, chances are roughly 28349729 other schools will be as well.

All of the coasters are worth riding as well as the dark rides. The only things really 'skipable' at IOA are the Stunt Show, Tea Cups, and maybe Poseidon's Fury.

Yes, the river adventure is awesome. You get wet in the front corner, everywhere else is dry. Also Dragons Challenge, the Hulk, spiderman, and I would assume Harry Potter, but It wasn't open the last time I was there. Dragons challenge is best from the front because of the visuals. Haven't been there in summer, so I can't help you there. They do have drinking fountains in some of their que lines.

Definitely check out Wizarding World of Harry Potter if you can. The Forbidden Journey ride is simply amazing. Dragon Challenge is a great inverted dueling coaster. Spider-Man can NOT be missed. It's awesome! Hulk is a good coaster. And just for the silly theming, be sure to check out Suess Landing. Oh and save up your quarters to use on the water cannons at the Popeye raft ride! it's so much fun soaking innocent riders I can easily blow through $5 in quarters doing just that.

Don't forget to talk to the Mystic Fountain in front of the Sinbad show, or just watch kids talk to it. Kids are strangely attracted to the fountain.

EDIT: If you want to cut down your wait for Forbidden Journey, do the uber-secret single riders line. It's not well marked, so ask a Team Member for its location. If you want to see the castle, do the castle tour. It beats standing an hour in line! Once, the wait for Forbidden Journey was 150 minutes. Single rider line was less than 5 minutes. Also look for single rider lines in Spiderman, Hulk, and Dr. Doom's Fearfall.

IOA is my favorite theme park, so naturally I think you should do EVERYTHING!!!The park is breathtaking, and the only rides I skip on my visits are the teacups, carou-seuss-el the fish ride, and poseidon's fury. Definitely get the express pass and get in line for Potter first!

Actually, if you are a real credit whore and you arrive at the park before opening, head straight to Pternandon Flyers. You usually have to have a kid to ride, but at opening, the wait is usually 0 minutes. As long as the wait is 0 minutes or less, you can ride. So if you have Express passes, do Pternandon Flyers and then Forbidden Journey.

When you get to the park, RUN don't walk to Wizarding World before the whole area fills to capacity. After you ride Forbidden Journey and Dragons, you should also definitely check out Hulk, Spiderman, Fearfall, and all three water rides. IOA has the best selection of water rides at any park I've been to, if you don't mind getting wet, you MUST ride them. If you like fun and goofy theming, also check out Seuss Landing. Most importantly, have fun!

As some have said, go to Harry Potter first, as the area will be very crowded later on. Then you should check out some of the other rides that are worthwhile. Attractions I'd skip, however, are Poseidon's Fury and Pteranodon Flyers (or even Sinbad). Otherwise, IOA is a great park!

As previously stated Forbidden Journey first. (Park opening helps) The water rides are not something to be missed Jurassic Park and Dudley-Do Right occasionally have single rider lines if crowded enough or if they feel like opening them. If you want the credit Pteranodon Flyers can be just as hard to get on as Forbidden Journey. Most of the highlights have been stated so again: Hulk, Dragon Challenge, (Kills me to say that) Spider man Water Rides, I personally like Cat in the Hat but it's not really an necessity.

Dudley Doo Right....you'll get really wet if people are spraying you at the end (the worst part of the ride in my opinion, but IOA seems to go to the next level with a lot of things, and wetness is one of them). Every ride that seems like a "major ride" is fantastic, so hit all of them.

If it's not too busy, I'd hit up Universal, too...as long as you get to ride every ride at IOA that is (obviously excluding a few, however Cat in the Hat is worth a 15-30 minute wait if you've never ridden).

Dudley Doo Right....you'll get really wet if people are spraying you at the end (the worst part of the ride in my opinion, but IOA seems to go to the next level with a lot of things, and wetness is one of them).

I would be one of those evil fiends who LOVES to blast the water cannons at unsuspecting riders.

I mean the Harry Potter line moves very quickly so you don't have to "RUN" there. It's almost constantly moving and there's a lot of stuff to look at so waiting isn't that big of a deal (the first time). After that i'd jump into the Single Rider's line, for me, that was only 15min wait . Throughout the entire park, i'd say the Spiderman or the twin S&S tower line moves the slowest.

Have a pocket full of quarters and be prepared to use them. People will shoot you with the water cannons, you will need to administer payback. Posiedens Fury does completely suck compared to the original but do it anyway if you have time. Ride Hulk in the front and in the back as well. I also love the back car on Dueling Dragons but the front is a can't miss. The layouts are completely different so ride both sides. Forbiddeen Journey and Spidey are both awesome. I have known people who have gone to IOA and not ridden Spiderman, don't be one of those people. Islands is twice as good at night so don't wuss out early.

Ride whatever you can, whenever you can! When I have visited in the past I have just rode whatever comes to me as I walk around. You might not get on everything but it really helps to "take in the surroundings" of the area. Have a great time! And ride Popeye!

Personally I would skip Dr. Doom. I went there 2 years ago and that thing got up to 90 minutes, and its a pretty standard S&S tower with(I'm assuming) some additional theming. Ive seen videos and his head is kinda cool, but its standard and had crappy capacity. I agree, the water rides rule, hulk, dragons and (Im assuming) potter are the big ones along with Cat and The Hat, cause I liked it, lol.

I love the loose restraints on Doom that allow a ton of airtime at the top. Another uber-important tip that I forgot to mention is to use single rider lines whenever possible. A 2+ hour line for Spiderman was 10 minutes, Universal does a great job running these lines, especially with the crowd levels in the park.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Spiderman is a dark ride/ 3D show that sends you around in these moving vehicles past several screens and there are also several external effects that enhance the ride including: FIRE!!! It's really an awesome ride, and has a great single rider line that was DESERTED when I went during the summer, bypassing the 50 min. wait with a 2 car wait! Be sure to see it.

I am planning a trip to Orlando, but it will not be until next summer.

My biggest question is where to stay. From what it seems, staying on-site at Universal gives the great benefit of unlimited express pass, and that is worth a fortune. But what hotel should I stay at? Any advice?