TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

Finished mine! I'll say it also - Voyage made me its bitc# and I love it. It throws me around like a rag-doll, and my crazy a$$ loves it. However, the added brutality this year did drop it from my number one status. I like it rough and out of control, but I felt I needed a "safety word" this summer .

Hades was the biggest disappointment to me this year. It was truly unbearable (other than the Psychotic trip under the parking lot) this summer. Two of my favorites have gotten even too rough for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Timberliners work out on Voyage though.

Boulder Dash does it now. It's my #1

David

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Elissa, what put El Toro over Balder for you, was it the first drop?

First Drop for sure, I love just being thrown over the top and pulled all the way down. With the angled turn that Balder starts with I feel you miss a bit of the airtime.

^Elissa, what put El Toro over Balder for you, was it the first drop?

First Drop for sure, I love just being thrown over the top and pulled all the way down. With the angled turn that Balder starts with I feel you miss a bit of the airtime.

El Toro's first drop, riding in the back row - I don't know if there's a drop I can rate better. I gave #1 to Balder, mainly because of more airtime and that they don't staple you, but it's first drop is nowhere near ET.

^I have too, but I did all the Balder riding in one day - both ERT sessions, and all day as well when it was open to the public. My top 4 are just so supreme, I'd be happy on any of them - Balder, El Toro, Phoenix, and Boulder Dash.

I got the impression at SFGAdv in ET's opening year, that even with Kingda Ka there, the general public (who we don't give much credit for in being discerning about coasters) knew that ET crapped all over Kingda Ka.

I got the impression at SFGAdv in ET's opening year, that even with Kingda Ka there, the general public (who we don't give much credit for in being discerning about coasters) knew that ET crapped all over Kingda Ka.

Actually the GP still doesn't get it and that's a great thing.

^I've ridden Balder a ton more than El Toro on several different occasions. I get the feeling if I rode El Toro as much as Balder, it's possible Balder would have been 1!

My fave two woodies as well. While Balder is #1 in my book, of course El Toro gets off to a stronger start. Those first three drops are mind-blowing - and that drop in the middle of the ride is quite impressive too. But where Balder has the slight edge (in my book) is in the way it maintains its momentum throughout the entire ride - from start to finish, the airtime never lets up. All the side-to-side, back and forth stuff at the finale of El Toro just doesn't do too much for me.

I also wonder if operations influence my opinions of these awesome rides at all. My experience with Balder so far has been two blissful sessions of ERT heaven. Every time I've ridden El Toro, I've waited in line (usually an hour or longer) and dealt with Six Flags operations, getting stapled into seats, etc. (I should have ridden El Toro a lot more than I've ridden Balder, but in one day at Liseberg I rode Balder more than twice as many times as I've been on El Toro in total.)

^^Yeah, I tell friends about El Toro and they're like, "uh, ok." But I tell them I've ridden Kingda Ka and they're like "OMFG YOU HAVE?!?!?!?! WHAT'S IT LIKE?!?!?!?!" And then they look at me like I'm a f***ing lunatic when I tell them I'm not a big fan of the ride.

I'm talking more in the context of people actually at the park who have experienced both rides, I'm sure KK would be more famous (it made the nightly news in Australia) but my anecdotal observations of the GP (which I am one in my mind) is that they much preferred ET as a ride experience.

I'm amazed that Phoenix is legal, that thing is crazy, and that's why I love it. Then there's the Knoebels bumper cars, the GCI guys were getting them airborne. Oh those metal on metal collisions.

Ryan - You need to start arriving at SFGAdv at opening on Sunday mornings.

I always take the bus in from the city (lousy Jersey transit from Port Authority) - and the buses arrive long after opening. And I usually try to pick an off day like Tuesday or Wednesday, thinking it will be less crowded, but it never is.

Sunday mornings - everyone's hungover or at church, huh? Must remember this sometime when I convince my buddy to drive out there.

^So, just curious, but what was the safety word? Waffles?

Zamboni, FYI.

I'm really looking forward to El Toro again this summer. On the East Coast tour, I love love loved it, but it didn't blow me away like it does almost every other person I know. When you live with someone who has ElToroextreme as his screen name, he just doesn't see it. I was told it wasn't running well that morning. Whatever, it is still an AMAZING coaster and I'm hopeful it will blow my socks off this summer.

Of what I have ridden, here is my list. Cedar Fair woodies really bottomed out my list...

Top 10

1. Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer

2. Hades at Mount Olympus

3. Avalanche (HellCat) at Timber Falls

4. Shivering Timbers at Michigans Adventure

5. Lightning Racer T at Hershey Park

5. Lightning Racer L at Hershey Park

7. Cornball Express at Indiana Beach

8. The Beast at Kings Island

9. Renegade at ValleyFair!

10. Blue Streak at Cedar Point

Bottom 5

37. Mean Streak at Cedar Point

38. Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion

39. Wilde Beast at Canada's Wonderland

40. High Roller at ValleyFair!

41. Hurler at Kings Dominion

I got an email from Mitch today. Please, everyone, vote! There's is currently about half the amount of ballots compared to last year. He doesn't want the results to be diminished so PLEASE VOTE!

Done! These were my top 10...

1. El Toro (SFGAdv)

2. Favorite Steel (Katun: Mirabilandia)

3. The Voyage (Holiday World)

4. Thunderhead (Dollywood)

5. Ravine Flyer II (Waldameer)

6. Avalanche (Timber Falls)

7. Ozark Wildcat (Celebration City)

8. Kentucky Rumbler (Beech Bend)

9. Phoenix (Knoebel's)

10. Renegade (Valleyfair!)

My bottom 10... they don't matter. That's why they're at the bottom!