TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

According to the person who claims to be Harold over at GLT, they will RETURN the money if things don't work out.

Re: Big Dipper.... is there any news at all??

by Harold Garmonsway » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 pm

If the project fails, the donated money will be returned.

It's also comforting to know that donations won't be used for legal fees

From the .org site:

Contributor – I edited out some of the personal information in your post but I did see and read it. Please be aware that I cannot discuss any ongoing legal matters at this time. The lack of updates has been due to this need for privacy. I will be keeping this site updated whenever I have information that I am able to release. I can however assure you that all donations that have been made will only be used in the direct cause of preservation of the Dipper. No donation money is being used towards legal matters.

So, allow me translate the above into English. "I lied to the public and news media. I tried to convince alot of people, including myself, that I really owned this ride. I then began collecting donations through paypal on my website but could not send anyone a thank you due to legal reasons, because, if I had sent you a thank you message, then you would expect updates from me, thus it was easier just to do nothing. I also can't give you updates because I have gotten myself in a lot of hot water. While I'm not using the $384 to pay the legal bills surrounding the hot water I'm in (my lawyer says I can't, he's a mean man) I can assure you that I've used the money to survey the site. If I feel like it, I'll post another update."

Harold Garmonsway wrote:

robbalvey wrote:Harold, can I offer you a bit of advice? Next time you're working on a project where you solicit money from people, a "thank you" email in response to those who give you money is a very nice gesture.

I wasn't aware nobody had said thank you.

Really? You had NO IDEA that the people who donated money to your project did not receive a single confirmation email in response to their showing support? That's honestly pathetic. You really should be giving a little more attention to your supporters, or you are going to find yourself not having any.

You don't get to $300,000 living in a cone of silence.

--Robb:

That is the response from Harold? Christ, he is dumber that I thought...

The proper thing to do would address the communication problem with the people that donated directly. Hell, there can not be more than ten at this point. That should only take five minutes while focused.

At least respond to all that donated with something like this (maybe not exactly, but this is a start).

"It has come to my attention that you have donated "insert $ amount here" and have not received confirmation or thanks of your donation. We will work to make sure that lack of communication like this does not happen again. We thank you for your donation and continuous support. We will make sure all contributors are updated on this donation. If we cannot fulfill the project objectives, then we plan on returning all contributions. However, if you do not request your contribution returned. We can donate your contribution to another non-Profit in your name. We will also make sure you get confirmation of that contribution. "

How do people like this even find a way to create a website?

I agree!

I've got to wonder if Kat and Harold were just pulling our legs the entire time, and wanted to make a few bucks along the way. That's the only logical conclusion I can make about this situation.

I agree!

I've got to wonder if Kat and Harold were just pulling our legs the entire time, and wanted to make a few bucks along the way. That's the only logical conclusion I can make about this situation.

Same. They just didn't think they'd get caught.

http://www.auroraadvocate.com/news/article/4943769

The sale of the Big Dipper roller coaster at the former Geauga Lake amusement park appears to be in limbo, according to a blog posted Dec. 2 on the website "Save the Big Dipper," -- http://savethebigdipper.org/.

Tom Woosnam of APEX Western Machinery Movers, an agent for the coaster's former owner, told the Advocate on Dec. 6 that he wasn't authorized to comment about the situation.

Ohioan Kat Jones, the organizer of the project to save the ride, and Harold Garmonsway, the project's founder, reportedly were involved in purchasing the coaster Sept. 30.

"The owner and the owner's agent have expressed their desire to cancel the deal we had come to agreement on concerning the sale of the Big Dipper," the website post states. "Our interest at this point is in saving the Big Dipper from the previously announced demolition by the parties that purchased the coaster at the Cedar Fair auction. "We are currently under experienced legal guidance so that we may do everything within our power to save an important piece of amusement history. "I sincerely hope for everyone's understanding as we work through the new challenges we are faced with."

JONES DID not return e-mails for comment. No contact information was available for Garmonsway.

According to the website, as of Dec. 6 the project raised $384 toward the unannounced purchase price for the ride.

Some people are questioning how their donations to the project are being used, and if the sale is canceled whether their money will be refunded.

In a Dec. 2 post on the website, a donor said there has been "little to no communication" from the organizer of the project about its status. "Do you expect people to donate and help your cause when you do not communicate with your investors?," the post inquires. "I would like to know how my contribution will be used and some solid, detailed plans as opposed to the vague statements made once every few months. "My contribution was relatively minor and yet I feel like I have been 'taken for a ride,' so to speak ... open ended statements aren't cutting it."

"All donations that have been made will be used only in the direct cause of preservation of the Dipper," a poster who appears to be close to the project replied. "No donation money is being used toward legal matters."

Other posters expressed their confusion about whether the coaster was legally sold at all.

ADMIN EDIT: I went ahead and quoted the story so readers don't have to jump to see it.

^Cool, I will remember to do that next time.

Edited by OISU8P

^^ She claims to be from the Dayton Ohio area from a post at GLT. Maybe she goes to college in Indiana or something like that.

From her intro at GLT:

I live near Dayton, so it is still a bit of a haul for me to get up there but as the project gets under way I will be spending as much time in Aurora as I can!

I really don't think Kat intentionally lied, she was just nieve about what she was trying to do.

The deal for the coaster could have been something as simple as the coaster is yours, just get it out of here and clear the site by June 30 at your expense. When promises where not kept, donations didn't roll in and no plans were put forward the original owner wants to cancel the sale. The reason being that at least he has a chance to try and move it again before Kat turns it into a pile of kindling and he has to pay to clear the land.

I really don't think Kat intentionally lied, she was just naive about what she was trying to do.

The deal for the coaster could have been something as simple as the coaster is yours, just get it out of here and clear the site by June 30 at your expense. When promises where not kept, donations didn't roll in and no plans were put forward the original owner wants to cancel the sale. The reason being that at least he has a chance to try and move it again before Kat turns it into a pile of kindling and he has to pay to clear the land.

Clueless from the start. I don't believe what she says, not that I ever really did.

I don't know her personally and, outside of once on GLT have never spoken to her. But she's just never been straight with us.

edit: Perhaps my first post was a bit too harsh. But she's still not told us what's going on.