TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

With 4 coasters out (and one of my favorite floorless coasters), I see vert little reason to visit GL. The only reason I would visit GL is to obtain the Double Loop and the Beaver kiddie coaster credit. Double Loop was down when I last visited (and the last time was when it was owned by SF). I don't know why I skipped the Beaver coaster, but I wans't a big credit whore as I am now.

If I was a local, though, I would probably visit once or twice a year, but I would rather drive 2-3 hours to visit much better parks like CP or Kennywood.

^^^ Dude, I'm not trying to be mean here, but your arguments are suffering from tunnelvision, I'm afraid. Everything is indeed a business decision. You're simply seeing it as adversely affecting GL rather than helping bolster KD's lineup (if it does happen). If the larger parks in the chain benefit from big installations such as "MapleHawk" and a relocated Dominator, then perhaps the profits from the increased turnstiles will trickle down to places like GL.

Things don't happen overnight. I'm going out on a limb here, but I actually think CF is making some pretty good decisions since they acquired the Paramount parks. Time will tell obviously, but they're certainly taking steps to *try* and improve things gradually.

The much hyped waterpark, however, was a bit of a joke. One slide tower and a Tornando with an hour plus line does not make a waterpark. They were even trying to upsell people to rent their own tubes.

I do tend to agree with you on the waterpark. Catrina and I have been going there a bit over the last couple of years and while it is a nice getaway for those who just want to kick back, it doesn't offer the thrills that a slide-happy enthusiast craves. Shame that their 2 year expansion became more like 1.2 year expansion and more slides and the Master Blaster were never built. If anyone can dig up the original concepts, it was there.

You do know who you're asking this of, right? RIGHT?

To be fair, Matt, I don't really claim to be the all-knowing authority on all things Geauga. I am sure that there are plenty of people here that visit the park a lot more than I do. I just think it is unfair to blame EVERYTHING on Kinzel and say that it is all Cedar Fair's fault. This park (again in my opinion) was at it's best when it was managed by Funtime Inc. Everything since then has been heading towards this inevitible conclusion.

And to agree with Beemer, all of the recent decisions concerning park are strictly "business" and good business in my mind. If I was to speculate what Cedar Fair's intentions were when they purchased the park it would be this:

- Add a modern waterpark to help alleviate the plummeting crowd figures (check)

- Remove coasters and relocate them to other properties where they can be marketed as new. Increasing the draw of said parks without little capital investment (check ... and last I checked, Firehawk was an hour wait at Kings Island)

- Remarket Geauga Lake as a "regional draw" and "traditional park". Lower entry fee. (check)

- If all else fails, you can always remove what is left and sell the land as it is extremely valuable (we will have to wait and see on this one)

// The only real problem I see is that Cedar Fair hsa really forgot how to run a "traditional" park.

^ I know Ted. But when someone that was four years old when Six Flags took over is ranting about a flats selection he probably couldn't recall if he tried, is arguing with someone that probably was old enough remember past ownership, it grinds my gears.

Then of course there's the mention of PKI.....it's all becoming clearer now.

If I was a local, though, I would probably visit once or twice a year, but I would rather drive 2-3 hours to visit much better parks like CP or Kennywood.

I used to be a local. I would go to CLP, GL and Idora many times during a summer and only once or twice to CP (and rarely to Kennywood). Why, because you rarely had to wait in line for anything at the small parks (unless it was a plant picnic Saturday) and going to CP always meant spending at least 60% of your time there waiting in lines.

Can't tell you how many summer evenings I spent at Idora, GL and CLP sitting on the Wildcat, Big Dipper and Blue Streak for ride after ride, without having to get off, let alone wait in a line. I think our record was something like 45 rides in the back seat of the Wildcat without getting off.

Don't get me wrong, I love CP. But I love a nice quiet day at a smaller park with very little crowd leisurely wandering from ride to ride.

Ted, I agree with your latest post.

You really hit it when you said the problem is Cedar Fair is trying to create a 'traditional amusement park' when we all know Cedar Fair is incapable of doing that!!!

If anything, they ruin traditional amusement parks. Take into account that less than 2 hours away you have one of the best Traditional Amusement Parks in the country and yeah...nuff said.

I would totally quote my post from years ago on this whole thing if I could find it...but basically, this was all predicted and known. I'm only surprised it took this long.

Not being a waterpark enthusiast, I can't speculate on how good or not so good WhiteWater Kingdom is. People have told me that it's better than the old Dover lake park and Pioneer, but that really isn't saying very much.

In all my trips to CP, I've never gone to the waterpark.

Ted hit the nail on the head when he used the word "disappointed", which is what i am right now.

Did Cf ever say why they stopped Phase II for WhiteWater kingdom?

*Attention - crazy attempt to think outside the box ahead*

You know, it would really be cool to see this place become the world's first true "mega"waterpark. I'd hate to see Dipper go, but if they sold off or scrapped every ride and steadily built it up with every type of water ride imaginable, they could really have a unique marketing angle.

In other words, the unDan-friendly stuff you see in every park (i.e. Super Saturator, splashdown boats, etc. etc.). You'd never have to worry about sloppin' around in drenched clothes anymore. Hmm, I actually really like this idea.

Eh, it'll never happen anyway. Oh well, back to reality.

*Attention - crazy attempt to think outside the box ahead*

You know, it would really be cool to see this place become the world's first true "mega"waterpark. I'd hate to see Dipper go, but if they sold off or scrapped every ride and steadily built it up with every type of water ride imaginable, they could really have a unique marketing angle.

In other words, the unDan-friendly stuff you see in every park (i.e. Super Saturator, splashdown boats, etc. etc.). You'd never have to worry about sloppin' around in drenched clothes anymore. Hmm, I actually really like this idea.

Eh, it'll never happen anyway. Oh well, back to reality.

I'd *love* to see that concept. Then CF could have a mega amusement park and a mega waterpark in the same region. Though I think it's a less than prudent idea considering how short the season has to be in Northern Ohio.

I'm heavily into woodies, and it wouldn't bother me that much to see that John Miller go. GL uses trains designed for midgets on it, which ruined it for me.

Anyway, I hope they do something, anything with this park other than just tear out rides. Elissa is probably correct in that CF just doesn't know how to run a plain old park anymore. Maybe they should sell it to someone who can?

I think Mi Adventure needs a good ride........Not an SLC.

SLC's have the potential to be VERY good rides, just look at their layout. Sure they may be cloned, but they are quite fun and creative. They just need softer restraints. When I went to SFNE, I was going to expect a complete pain machine, and although I felt several jolts through my body, the restraints were practically pillows, and I experienced no pain AT ALL. I almost put it into my top 10! (Storm Runner and SFNE's S:ROS tie the #1 spot.)

I firmly believe that if this park exchanges hands again, it will not be for amusement purposes. At least on the ride side.

Are real estate developers really that hot for the property? With the housing market downturn and the fact that Cleveland isn't doing well economically (recently called the poorest city in the US) maybe it's not such a great deal right now. GL's economic woes, however, may just mirror the overall picture for Cleveland.

Well, you can't say that this totally blindsided the coaster world, considering they did this just a couple months ago.

Anyway, from a KD local's perspective, I would be happy to get a new ride, but I really was hoping KD would finally get something origional after all these years. And why make this a parking lot coaster if they have over 100 acres sitting back there covered with trees. We all know C-F isn't scared to cut down trees anyway.......

I think to the people of Richmond and Washington, DC it will be VERY original. There is nothing like it out there. Between Six Flags America, Busch Gardens and Dominion there isn't anything remotely close.

The only other Paramount Park that could have benefited from this addition more was Canada's Wonderland and we all know what they are getting

I firmly believe that if this park exchanges hands again, it will not be for amusement purposes. At least on the ride side.

Are real estate developers really that hot for the property? With the housing market downturn and the fact that Cleveland isn't doing well economically (recently called the poorest city in the US) maybe it's not such a great deal right now. GL's economic woes, however, may just mirror the overall picture for Cleveland.

Well, I honestly can't confirm anything 'cause I don't know jack about the housing market or the Cleveland, but the area has really built up around GL since 2000, and I know some of the surrounding villages are fairly uppity. They are the type of villages where the fast food restaurants and gas stations are all made of nice brick and there are neighborhoods with massive homes. Keeping that in mind, almost anytime you throw a house on waterfront property, the value is going to go up.

So yeah, I don't know, but I'm sure the property is worth more than any other property in the area, simply because it's on a lake.

On another note, I actually really like BeemerBoy's idea of a mega-water park. It wouldn't make total sense with the climate, but hey, there are water parks in Canada. Why not a major water park in Northern Ohio? I'm sure if it was impressive enough, people would come. Just so long as my beloved Big Dipper is saved!

Screamscape: Raging Wolf Bobs may never reopen, Villain and Head Spin getting estimates for relocation.

It seems like the rides side of Geauga Lake has become the garage sale for other Cedar Fair parks.

I guess by the time CF is done stripping Geauga of major rides, it would probably be Geauga before SF took over it. In a way, we'll miss the rides side of Geauga Lake. If CF is trying to go for a family style park, don't they still have those rocket flyers in their scrapyard?