TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What area really needs a theme park?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down here at the Great Lakes, also known as Southwestern Ontario, things are dull. The only coasters here are at small, yearly, traveling carnivals. We need a theme park SO BADLY!!! The same goes for the entire East and West Coasts, including British Columbia, P.E.I, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador. Notice that all of those locations are in Canada, because here, theme parks are almost non-existent. There are only 3 large theme parks, Galaxyland, Canada's Wonderland, and La Ronde. In short, Canada really needs a new theme park!!!

Down here at the Great Lakes, also known as Southwestern Ontario, things are dull. The only coasters here are at small, yearly, traveling carnivals. We need a theme park SO BADLY!!! The same goes for the entire East and West Coasts, including British Columbia, P.E.I, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador. Notice that all of those locations are in Canada, because here, theme parks are almost non-existent. There are only 3 large theme parks, Galaxyland, Canada's Wonderland, and La Ronde. In short, Canada really needs a new theme park!!!

I think I can help with that.

Phoenix definitely needs an amusement park bigger than Castles and Coasters. Yes the summers are really hot but nothing that lots of shade and misters can't help with. hehe

Phoenix needs a pulse before an amusement park. Read my SeaWorld San Diego TR and you'll see why.

^ Because of Orlando and Tampa. Sure, they're 4 hours away, but it is home to the three heaviest hitters in the industry. A standalone park or even a Six Flags hellhole wouldn't stand a chance up against that competition. That's like having the Lakers play some upper-class blue ribbon high school basketball team. It's cute that you let them try, but everyone knows it's going to be an embarassment.

^ I'm guessing it's due to the clientele. There's tons of cruise ship guests all the time but they're rarely in port long enough for anyone to justify a trip to an amusement park. They'd rather see the sights in the immediate area and then settle down at some overpriced bar and get sloshed. As for the island residents, demand isn't high enough for anyone to take the financial risk of building one. I see a park there going the way of Hard Rock in Myrtle Beach.

^ Same deal with Puerto Rico. Keep in mind the reason tourists already go to Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Orlando wasn't a tourist destination until Disney World opened. Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, etc are what bring the tourism into that town. Puerto Rico and Hawaii are already tourist destinations for entirely different reasons. A theme park sounds like a good idea to us, sure, but economically it would be a nightmare.

Well, at least in Hawaii we could build a literal Volcano: The Blast Coaster.

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised this one is not mentioned more often, but the Seattle/Vancouver area really comes to mind.

The metro area of Seattle has about 3.5 million people, while the metro area of Vancouver has over 2 million people. Both of these cities are well-known for having high average incomes and having many business and technological related jobs, yet the only theme park in the Seattle area has an old loop-screw as its second largest coaster. Vancouver does have it better, as their wood coaster is supposed to be excellent. Still, a full sized park could probably do well in the area, and it does baffle me that Waldameer Park has a better lineup than Wild Waves, yet Waldameer is located in an area with about 15% of the population of Seattle. This is not to mention places like Lagoon or Silverwood, with Lagoon being located in an area with about 1/3rd the population of Seattle.

When places like Salt Lake City and Northern Idaho can support better theme parks than Seattle, Denver, or Phoenix, you would think that something is not quite right.

Perhaps it is required by federal law that no good theme parks can exist anywhere east of Missouri or Texas, excluding California, Utah, and Idaho.

^ There was so much talk and possible plans for such a theme park just outside the metro Vancouver area. But it was all blowing smoke and mirrors, and nothing ever came of it. The ongoing story of the land ownership that the actual amusement park, known as PLAYLAND, has been ongoing for a few decades now. And still, the park stays.

The plan now, or so I hear/read it, is to be a so-many-number-of-years plan in which the entire property known as Playland undergoes a total re-shaping and re-themeing on the main property. The wooden coaster will no doubt, stay where it is, but everything else can or would be re-designed and/or replaced by another flat ride, etc. and placed in a new setting, created by management and landscaping.

Who knows? This is such a weather precarious area of the world - Vancouver and Pacific Northwest - I have no idea what would ever want to go Big Time Commercial here. Except that after several parks in the world who have dealt with seasons and weather (i.e. Disney Paris, etc.), this might now be possible, compared to The Old Days, where "if it wasn't sunny, they wouldn't come," etc.