TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What area really needs a theme park?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived in Phoenix for some 12 years now, we desparately need a theme park that is better than Castles N' Coasters (glorified carnival). Yes it is hotter n' hell here in the summer, however if you located the park roughly a hour and half north of the Phoenix metro area, say near Prescott, AZ, the summer temperatures are drastically cooler. That area of AZ is usually 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer time, which, considering we don't have much humidity would make for a reasonably comfortable day. Also, you would be able to pull from the Phoenix area and Flagstaff as well as Vegas population.

Skimmed through about 5 pages here and haven't seen this listed, but the Lake Tahoe/Reno area could use some sort of park. Obviously it wouldn't be able to stay open during the winter, but there is a lot of tourist activity during the summer, Sacramento is only 2 hours or so away. I think it would do well in the South Lake area

Skimmed through about 5 pages here and haven't seen this listed, but the Lake Tahoe/Reno area could use some sort of park. Obviously it wouldn't be able to stay open during the winter, but there is a lot of tourist activity during the summer, Sacramento is only 2 hours or so away. I think it would do well in the South Lake area

I don't think it would fly at all. Disregarding the fact that the building codes would probably prevent a large project like this from being built in the Tahoe basin in the first place. People go to Tahoe to gamble or enjoy the lake during the Summer. Sense most of the people visiting Tahoe are from the bay area, they have a few choices on theme parks without driving all the way to Tahoe.

How about Southern Illinois, not that we really need one around here, but it would be nice to have a park on the other side of Saint Louis as Six Flags StL is 2 hours away and Holiday World is another 2 hours and Six Flags in Gurnee IL is 5 hours away

LONG. FRIKKIN. ISLAND.

Now, I'm not ragging on Adventureland, it's a quaint little park for families and the SDC Hurricane is pretty fun, but LI is really in need of a major theme park like KD or Hershey. I know that Dorney, Knoebles, Hershey and to an extent KD are in pretty reasonable driving distance from Long Island, but it WOULD be nice to have one that's closer...

Sydney needs a real theme or amusement park, we have a population of well over 4.6 million.

Luna Park as a full amusement park got killed by the neighbours and this was also a problem for Wonderland. Maybe if the new Wet and Wild park opening soon is a success, an amusement park will follow...with Balder and Expedition GeForce clones. okay, now I'm just dreaming.

Edited by downunder

How about Southern Illinois, not that we really need one around here, but it would be nice to have a park on the other side of Saint Louis as Six Flags StL is 2 hours away and Holiday World is another 2 hours and Six Flags in Gurnee IL is 5 hours away

I totally disagree. Southern Illinois has a very small population, and Six Flags is sufficient for St. Louis. I don't think St. Louis could support two theme parks.

I will also say no to Hawaii. The typical Hawaii vacationer isn't going to want to go to a theme park, and low wages combined with high cost of living means a lot of Hawaii residents don't have a lot of discretionary income for something like theme park tickets.

Vegas might actually pull it off if they can find the right concept. Vegas is kind of a playground for adults anyway, and several hotels have built rides. None have had more than limited success, though. I wouldn't bet on Vegas theme park, but I would be happy if it did succeed. Now, that said, Caesar's Palace's new Ferris wheel looks totally awesome.

Cities that do need a park are Houston and New Orleans. Both were screwed over by Six Flags and really deserve to get what they had back again or something even better.

In the U.S.

Phoenix

Salt Lake City

Seattle

Honolulu

Salt Lake City has Lagoon a few miles away. The entire population could not keep a second amusement park running. The others are great prime examples, but you wouldn't see them in the immediate area of the cities.

Honestly, I'm surprised Phoenix or Houston do not have a theme parks. I figured someone would have already jumped on that gun after Six Flags AstroWorld closed.

I also think Charleston (SC) and Jacksonville (FL) would be good locations for a park. Both locations are in warmer regions of the country, which could mean a longer operation season. If not, almost all year round. Jacksonville is far enough from Orlando where it wouldn't be as cutthroat with the destination parks.

People have been mentioning Hawaii or Honolulu. That would actually be a real cool concept, but could be kind of a risky investment.

Other ideas: Seattle (surprised Wild Waves isn't bigger) and Las Vegas

Biased Canadian here, but I'd like to see Vancouver get a theme park. Toronto has CW (Cedar Fair), Montreal has La Ronde (Six Flags)... SeaWorld British Columbia has a nice ring to it

Wait a minute. Don't you have PNE Playland?

^ Playland (PNE) is not a "theme" park.

It's an amusement park, at best.

And there is a difference between the two.

Theme Park to me means landscaping, actual

themed buildings, pathways, etc.

Playland has always looked to me, like some

kind of carnival midway set-up ready to pack

up and leave, at a moment's notice.

Got that awesome wood coaster, though...

710343953_ResizeofIMG_3279.JPG.c6911590611ea808fa1efb26f2c4832f.JPG

I mean, does THIS look like a "theme park" to you?

There's no theme here, except "Rides on Asphalt."