TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think it's embarrising for GG that it has taken them so long to get the timberliners up and running (soon) on a big coaster.

They were annoced five years ago this year.

Thanks for your expert opinion, but I'm sure there are plenty of valid reasons for the Timberliner delays.

Thanks for your expert opinion, but I'm sure there are plenty of valid reasons for the Timberliner delays.

There can be all the reasons in the world, it is still embarrassing for the company that they can not get the train they self called "The most revolutionary wooden coaster train …ever" almost 5 years ago to work on rides taller than 50 feet.

^Engineering such a train isn't as easy as say, a building. They have a multitude of dynamic forces acting on them. Ere's nothing wrong with them taking their time and making sure they're deriving the best possible product, and the fact that the style is already running on two other coasters is far from "an embarrassment".

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but from what I understand, it sounds like the Timberliners used on both Twister and Wodden Warrior are designed for smaller layouts in mind, whereas the ones being developed for Voyage (and now Hades) must undergo a much larger set of forces the that chassis of the small model can't handle.

Maybe someone can officially confirm/deny this, but that's what I've heard.

Did anyone here make the trek out for opening day? My girlfriend and I decided to make a Kings Island + HW trip from Michigan over the weekend, but we weren't prepared to wake up in Dale, IN to 55F and steady rain (neither of us packed pants nor warm hoodies) and decided to head back to KI and home instead of dropping $60 for tickets on a cold and rainy day. We were incredibly disappointed after coming so far, but weather happens and we're now planning on doing Holiwood Nights instead.

If you did make it out there, was it cold and rainy and miserable or did the weather ever decide to let up?

My friend and I went. It was indeed cold and a bit miserable, and the rain didn't let up for a second all day. However, less than 3 rows in the parking lot were filled and trains were going out with an average of 4-10 people on them all day, so everyone there (especially us) still had a GREAT time!

Taking jabs at Gravity Group for delayed Timblerliners (or Knoebels' for Flying Turns) is such a cheap shot. Those are new "things" that will be worth the wait. They're late; they're VERY late, we all know. What's the big deal? A bigger deal would be all the empty single seats going on out B&M coasters at big parks on busy days (like 12 empty seats on Raging Bull, on a busy Saturday in July). I don't see anyone challenging that issue

The reason for the delay this time is Paula is saying that they built a new train but it was shipped to them too late to do full time testing with it so they are going to wait until after the daily operating schedule to be able to test them.

Taking jabs at Gravity Group for delayed Timblerliners (or Knoebels' for Flying Turns) is such a cheap shot. Those are new "things" that will be worth the wait. They're late; they're VERY late, we all know. What's the big deal? A bigger deal would be all the empty single seats going on out B&M coasters at big parks on busy days (like 12 empty seats on Raging Bull, on a busy Saturday in July). I don't see anyone challenging that issue

I'm not taking 'jabs' I'm full on calling them out! Come on, this is ridiculous and if this was ANY other park and/or almost ANY other manufacturer we'd all be laughing and giving them all kinds of crap for it!

Knoebels and Holiday World along with certain manufacturers get a 'pass' from enthusiasts for stuff that we would freak out over if Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or Intamin did. Do they deserve it or not, that's for you to decide, but I think this whole train thing is a big issue that needs to be resolved.

^Thank you for clarifying my thoughts on this matter. What would happen if YOLOcoaster at MM was ready to go, but Premiere took 5 years to deliver a working train for it. No right minded executive would put up with that. Lawsuits would be filed. Refunds would be asked for. And Premiere would probably be out of business. I actually am shocked that HW has given them this long to get these things right. GG should really consider themselves lucky that HW has stuck with them for this long. If 3 times is a charm, then I am expecting rainbows and unicorns to magically appear if these trains ever get done. I know in my industry, you can only get things wrong so many times before no one will work with you. And by so many times, I mean once, maybe twice if you're lucky. I certainly hope HW hasn't spent any of their own coin yet on these things. My concern is that when they finally have a train that works, will all the rehab they've done on the track be for not? Cause lets face facts. It doesn't matter how much lotion you moisturize with. If you rub your skin with sand paper. It's gonna feel rough. And hurt. And right now. Voyage hurts. The last 4 years, I have ridden it once on my first visit to see if it has changed, and then don't bother the rest of the year. I probably won't bother at all this year as i find myself enjoying the day much more when I don't ride it. It really is just not worth the headache.

And don't get me wrong. I am in no way bashing HW. Me and my family love the park and have visited on average of 3 times a season since we moved here to Nashville. And we will continue to visit this year and many years to come. But this whole Timberliner situation is getting ridiculous now. Holiday World is really getting the short end of the stick on this deal.

Also remember that Holiday World sold two of their three PTC trains from The Voyage before the 2010 season, to make room for the timberliners, leaving them without trains.

They had to modify one train from Raven for the Voyage, and then run Raven with a single train that season.

Come on, this is ridiculous and if this was ANY other park and/or almost ANY other manufacturer we'd all be laughing and giving them all kinds of crap for it!

We already do

we would freak out over if Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or Intamin did.

Hasn't stopped us, we still freak out. Just a different POV on the issue. I totally understand and respect yours; I've been there myself. I was just speaking for those of us that it doesn't bother as much (anymore... which I guess is in fact a joke about how long it's been.)

^I don't think it really bothers anyone here. We're all just wondering what the heck is going on for it to take so long! I think we are also hoping they work out, as Gravity Group has been some great rides and we'd hate to see this mess hurt their business.

In regards to Flying Turns, it's far from a cheap shot. That "project" is comical/ridiculous and deserves every ounce of criticism it gets. I remember hoping to ride it before I graduated high school and left the area, and that was in 2008.

I think what has made both projects so HOT when they were announced is that they were both something very different. Not another B&M or Intamin... but rather things that haven't been done before - which is the reason they are taking so long. After the first 2 or 3 years, I kinda "got over it." I'm still excited and disappointed, but not much I can do. I just tell myself they will be worth the wait.

Good thing for Arrow that the internet wasn't around when they were promoting their "pipeline" coaster in the 80s. Not that Arrow has ever had a super popular/squeeky-clean image.

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

^It worked, obviously I still find shoulder bars, ratcheting "vests" and 12 empty seats going out on B&m coasters (on a busy day) more irritating.

Holiday World continually serves up excellent service, seemingly outdoing itself every year. So for some of us, the Timberliner issue ain't stopping our visits.

Doh! I little birdy once told me HW would seek a steel/looper with lap bars only - when they were ready to do so. So I don't think the over the shoulder annoyance will be a problem. I hope anyway!

But if it's a B&M coaster, I have a feeling the awesomely trained HW ride ops would find a way to fill most seats. To their credit, hasn't Magic Mountain started trying out single rider lines? (I know, wrong thread, but someone will know.)

Edited by GayCoasterGuy