TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

They almost always run just about everything in a good rain but if it's lightning then they of course close stuff. I've been there during storms and just a good rain and they really have a good handle on when they need to close rides or not. If your ever there in a good storm they really make sure all the guests are safe and I'm buildings and whatnot. They do an impressive job with that.

So I went to the park yesterday and I figured I would post my report. We got there and made the long walk to thanksgiving and hopped on the Mayflower. This has got to be the greatest themong on a swinging ship. We then went to Thunderbird plaza, which had a good scenic feel to it. I rode it three times, the right back, left back, and right front. The right back was very good and the left back seemed more intense. Overall the roller coaster was more intense than I ever expected, and was a very good fit for the park. I was disappointed that the Crow's Nest/Sparkler was down all day, but I believe it was due to the wind and rain. The Voyage was running well. I have always been able to ride the Voyage multiple times and I have never found it unbearable, but yesterday it ran really rough. The first have was very smooth, but the second half still tore me up even with the MCBR. However I will always love the voyage and ride it no matter how painful. The Legend ran rough but was way more bearable than it has been in years. And the Raven ran very good as usual.

Now's where I get to my personal preferences, not necessarily negatives of the park. The park is great, and it never gets old. However I felt it a painfully long walk from the entrance of the park all the way to thunderbird. I think it would be nice if there was another entrance built over there on that highway, and that would give people easier access to the parks two most popular points, Splashin Safari and Thanksgiving. As I have mentioned before, I love the rapids but it is showing its age. I would love to see a new Rapids ride over where PP used to be that was themed really well, or if it was possible, a raft ride in the Halloween section that was mildly haunted or whatnot to add a really good themed haunted water ride. However, the Rapids is in no way deteriorating, so it is full functional and would be okay if the decided to leave it there. Okay, so now I have a more curious question. The Lewis and Clark trail takes up quite a bit of space, and I am not positive but I think there is a smaller ride in Holidogs funtown. In my opinion I would like to see a new plaza area or something here to add a few more flat rides and alleviate some of the traffic and congestion throughout the park. Of course all of this is just what I would prefer. The park is my favorite park I have been to, which is why I go every year.

^ The ride in Holidog Funtown and The Lewis and Clark are somewhat similar, but there is a huge difference in each of them. One of them allows the guests to control the speed and steer throughout the course, while the other moves at one speed and you have no control over it. Lewis and Clark trail serves a purpose as it's very popular among the younger guests because it affords them the opportunity to sort of drive although they are not old enough yet.

I do hear you on the distance from the entrance of the park to Thunderbird. I think that's been a minor gripe from almost everyone that has visited the park this year. This was probably always going to be one of the downfalls of building a new coaster. Now while I do think the park will eventually add a second entrance, as they have the land available to definitely do it, I don't think they bring in enough people on a daily basis to warrant one yet. Now the easy answer to the problem is some type of chair lift. That answer doesn't come with it's problems though. First of all, they're probably going to have to redo the whole entrance plaza to the park to make it work. Then you have to worry about getting the lift high enough in the air that it clears all the rides and trees, while keeping it low enough to the ground so it doesn't compromise the safety of the guests and makes it easy to evacuate in case of an emergency. Honestly, I don't think the park is going to want have to go through trouble of trying to put one in will gladly wait until their busy enough to build a new entrance. By that time, there will be more rides out by Thunderbird and it'll be worth the walk out there.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I will have to agree that the trek from the entrance back to Thunderbird is.... Pretty crazy. I also like the idea of a new Rapids Ride over there as I've mentioned before. But I DO really enjoy the still present Raging Rapids.

Either way the park is for sure large enough and spread out enough to warrant some transport of some type. It's almost a necessity at this point. Rather than lift chairs, what about a train of some sort? I would think this would be easier to construct and engineer around the current park than lift chairs which require a height clearance as well.

I've never found the distance to walk in the park anywhere near too long. Yes the addition of thunderbird makes the distance longer but it's nowhere near the distance you have to walk in other parks (Kings Island, Six Flags, Epcot, etc). I think the biggest gripe is climbing the hill. It has never bothered me, but I also went to a university famous for "the hill" so that might be why.

The walking distance from park entrance to Thunderbird is longer than the distance from park entrance to Banshee or Diamondback, though walking to the far opposite side of Kings Island would definitely be further (Like walking to the Beast probably).

^^^Isn't most of that footage taken from other videos?

I don't disagree that some sort of transportation system to the back of the park would be nice. However, I do disagree with the notion of adding a second entrance. The experience of walking through the Holiday World gates into the Christmas Village is an experience unique to the park and gives it the classic feel. Adding a second entrance at Holiday World would be like coming into the Magic Kingdom through Frontierland and not seeing the castle from Main Street.

Hey guys! First time posting over here, looking for some help. Looking to venture out your way from the St. Louis area for a day trip with the wife. Wondering though, overall how rough on a scale of 1-10 would you rate the roughness of the woodies at Holiday World? Being from St. Louis area, Im wondering if they are more or less painful than The Boss at SF:STL for those that have visited both parks. I occasionally experience neck pain and some woodies (ex: The Boss) are just too painful for me to enjoy. Wanted to know before I venture out, thanks for any help you can provide. Congrats on Thunderbird, it looks amazing.

^ the woodies, especially at this point in the season, are not very rough, comparitively. However, the second half of The Voyage is very intense, which many people tend to take as roughness. The key there is to let your body flow with the ride. The Legend has a lot of laterals which will keep you pinned against the side of the seat but the track is running extremely fast and smooth this season. The Raven's track can be a little bouncy (it is 20 years old after all) but it glides through the course very well.

^^Raven is very smooth, I'd rank it at least a 8/10 in smoothness, because the ending was still a bit jerky last season.

Legend isn't too bad either, but has lots of laterals. Maybe a 7/10. It wasn't too bumpy.

Voyage is reported to have gotten a lot of track work this season, but based on last season I'd rank it a 3/10 (Boss, last season at least, would be a 1/10). It's a rough ride, but still my favorite, and it is worth experiencing at least once. I myself rode it 26 times in a row, but I'm pretty young.

I think The Voyage's intensity (especially in the 2nd half) is mistaken a lot for roughness. It's a intense ride for sure... Extremely fun. I'm really surprised also with how The Raven and The Legend have held up over all these years. They for sure put the work and money into their three woodies every year to keep them in top notch shape. I do caution you about The Voyage, it IS a VERY INTENSE ride.

Voyage: Smoothness: 4/10; Awesomeness: 9/10

Legend: Smoothness: 7/10; Awesomeness: 9/10

Raven: Smoothness: 9/10; Awesomeness: 9/10

Voyage: Smoothness: 6/10; Awesomeness: 10/10

Legend: Smoothness: 4/10; Awesomeness: 7/10

Raven: Smoothness: 7/10; Awesomeness: 9/10

I think The Voyage's intensity (especially in the 2nd half) is mistaken a lot for roughness. It's a intense ride for sure... Extremely fun. I'm really surprised also with how The Raven and The Legend have held up over all these years. They for sure put the work and money into their three woodies every year to keep them in top notch shape. I do caution you about The Voyage, it IS a VERY INTENSE ride.

Nope...I'm still gonna go with roughness.

If you are under 40 years old, you might very well see it as "intense". Wait until you are over 40 and ride something like that and you will find it more than likely to feel "bone-jarringly rough" almost to the point of being violent.

When I think of intense wooden coasters, I think of the likes of El Toro, Thunderhead or Ravine Flyer II. When I think of rough coasters, I think of the likes of Voyage, Son of Beast or Hurler.

Yes, Voyage is intense, but it is also a very rough ride. It's still my #2 wooden coaster, but it has some very rough moments.

^for 2015, add 2 points to Voyage smoothness and 4 points to Legend smoothness

Sounds awesome! So getting out here this year, seems like this is the best time to finally go

It depends on how late in the season you go. It's always hard to tell how well they're gonna hold up

Hey guys! First time posting over here, looking for some help. Looking to venture out your way from the St. Louis area for a day trip with the wife. Wondering though, overall how rough on a scale of 1-10 would you rate the roughness of the woodies at Holiday World? Being from St. Louis area, Im wondering if they are more or less painful than The Boss at SF:STL for those that have visited both parks. I occasionally experience neck pain and some woodies (ex: The Boss) are just too painful for me to enjoy. Wanted to know before I venture out, thanks for any help you can provide. Congrats on Thunderbird, it looks amazing.

All I can tell you about the Voyage is, no one in my family rides it anymore. I was the last hold out. We all ride rollercoasters to have fun. And it's just not fun to us. I would seriously caution you if you have experienced any kind of neck or back pain. Haters call it rough, fanboys call it aggressive. Whatever you choose to call it, it is an experience unlike no other coaster out there. Good, bad, or otherwise.

Holiday World is an awesome park with one of the most family friendly staff and fun family attractions around, and is well worth the price if you decide to ride the Voyage or not. My family and I love the place. We can't wait to get out there this year and experience Thunderbird for the first time.

Sounds awesome! So getting out here this year, seems like this is the best time to finally go

It depends on how late in the season you go. It's always hard to tell how well they're gonna hold up

Well again my hands are pretty tied to late august, but I like an "aggressive" ride and I am still well under 40 so I will take my chances!

Well again my hands are pretty tied to late august, but I like an "aggressive" ride and I am still well under 40 so I will take my chances!

I want to clarify a bit my earlier post. I by no means meant to say that The Voyage is as smooth as a steel coaster because thats just not true. Being rough is the nature of the beast when it comes to wooden coasters. I rode it at media preview day and it was running very well. I'm 34 and suffered a stroke about a year and a half ago yet I was still able to ride(albeit only once). What I"m saying is that it is by no means overly rough and I think people THINK its overly rough because of how fast and intense the ride is combined with the nature roughness of a wooden coaster. On the 1-10 scale with 1 being the roughest I'd place The Voyage (based on my one ride on media preview day) of about 5, right in the middle. Now as far as intensity, with 10 being the most intense it gets a 10 no questions asked. Add those two together and well, I think thats why many people complain of it being more rough than it is.

I will also say, I don't think your really taking any "chances" even if you don't end up liking it. The Voyage is one of those rides that is a very unique experience. Even if you don't end up liking it you will be certainly glad you rode it at least once. I know your trip isn't until August but I'm really interested in a trip report from you when you return!