TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I don't think Holiday World wants to go above and beyond with a prototype and be plagued with maintenance problems. I think it will be a known style, with a nice twist. But, then again Pilgrim's Plunge was a prototype. But then, again, that just proves my point.

B&Ms prototypes rarely have issues.

What about within the last 3-4 years?

Intamin's safety record is really rough in comparison to other manufacturers. Here's their wikipedia just to start.

I love intamin coasters and have several of them in my top 20 rollercoasters, but if I were running a park I would really try to look elsewhere.

-Maverick's Heartline Roll

-All the other Intamin-Cedar Point opening year major mechanical issues

-I305's first turn and other delays.

-Falcon's Fury Delays

-Pilgrim's Plunge

-Perilous Plunge

-Oakwood's Hydro

-Several Cable snap delays including the Xcelerator, SFKK incidents.

-Repeated Restraint Failures. This is a big one IMO.

-Noticeably high downtime rates for most of their attractions.

That said, whenever other manufacturers have gone as big as Intamin, often it turns out just as mechanically challenged...Rip Ride Rockit, Steel Dragon, Vekoma GIB's, S&S air launchers, Some Premier Coasters, etc. But for Intamin it's a common thread.

That's because Intamin uses new technologies on nearly all of their new installations. Is there even a newer Intamin ride other than clones that uses completely the same technology and/or element of their older rides? Gringotts and WMG breaks down frequently because they are also pushing the new and revolutionary technology like Intamin does. Maverick might not have as much new technologies as Gringotts but at least it is not something we all knew what to expect and rode similar things way before it opened.

It's true that they push their technology many times, but you also have cases where they kind of didn't and he rides still aren't that reliable. Kingda Ka, for example, is just a little faster than TTD and it still has some problems (and yes, I do understand the complexity of the launch system); I305 didn't really have anything new either. I praise them for constantly pushing the envelope, and that obviously involves risks, but I was just trying to demonstrate that it's not always a case of something being new. Of course you will always have manufacturers that are more reliable than others.

I think they will go big, just not giga big. I could see and thing from 150-250 feet tall (maybe with a launch, maybe not), probably with inversions (holiday worlds first on a coaster), with a small indoor section and a special element unique to the coaster (I.e. Verbolten/th13teen...). I could see them doing a splashdown, as it fits with the theme, but it's unlikely, IMO. Keep in mind Holiday World is a family park, and won't go overboard.

I'm still thinking it's going to be a Wing Coaster, without launch. I think it will have splash fins installed, which is where the uniqueness comes from.

Splash fins do not make a roller coaster a "first of its kind" unless the splash fins are the main element of the ride...which they never are and never will be...so no.

I don't think Holiday World wants to go above and beyond with a prototype and be plagued with maintenance problems.

You say you've worked there and are also a season pass holder. You do realize that HW is all about going above and beyond and they have never let problems hold them back before, right? That's rhetorical.

I think it will be a known style, with a nice twist.

Like NEW AND IMPROVED!....only it can't be both.

I'm with you guys, but I think Holiday World want's to play it just as safe was we hope.

Speak for yourself here. I'm hoping this little park keeps pushing the envelope to continue to make a lasting name that leaves an impression in the industry.

I'm hoping for something revolutionary.

You said you are thinking a Wing Coaster with fins.... Coaster Buzz must miss you.

Not trying to make anyone upset, but I think we're getting a tad off track from the main subject here.

Agreed. I almost miss the endless vomiting about how HW can or can't afford a B&M.

Keep in mind Holiday World is a family park, and won't go overboard.

Keep in mind Holiday World has built thrill ride after thrill ride for the past 8-9 years. Filling in with family rides in between.

^ They don't work on the weekends. From what I can tell today, they've been building the frames for some tall footers in those large holes they dug on Friday. If you look, you can see where they did that. I took a screen shot last week and noticed something, and that seems to be where they were they were focused today as well.

HW2015.png.e24d90470452e42bbeb0f33f61da8cdf.png

Notice that concrete truck along the tree line? They've been pouring footers there as well. That is almost right on that road they've been driving in on.

^Have they been pouring footers there? I think that's just where they have been dumping excess concrete. They usually try to order the exact right amount but I've seen on other construction sites where they have a mound of concrete on the edge of the build site. The contractors have already paid for it and they can't take it back and reuse it.

Not to backtrack here, but I really hope that the park will either use the Pilgrim's Plunge splash area or the building itself... Either that or remove the building and remaining pool area all together. I really doubt the park will leave the former ride area intact with such a massive new ride next to it.

Excited for Thursday- we will know everything in a few short days! I really wanted to attend the media day, but I'm going to Cedar Point instead!

^It does look awful small for a station building unless it's some kind of pre-show or even queue housing like under Voyage. With its placement next to that long straight stretch some of us are thinking it might have something to do with that. Like housing for the computers (if it's an LSM launch) or even compressors and tanks for pneumatics, or pumps and filters for a pool. I'm thinking the big opening in the building is for a garage door to ease the process of filling the building with what it's meant to house, pumps, compressors and tanks are all big things.

Yes...I'm now thinking pneumatics...but only a small thought right now. What a strong wind that would be.

^Have they been pouring footers there? I think that's just where they have been dumping excess concrete. They usually try to order the exact right amount but I've seen on other construction sites where they have a mound of concrete on the edge of the build site. The contractors have already paid for it and they can't take it back and reuse it.

I'm pretty sure they have been. Much like they have been in front of the camera, they've been working there way out of that back clearing as well. For what it's worth, there gonna have to have footers in that area to get into that clearing.

Look how wide that opening is on that building. Could that be the station? It doesn't look very big to be a station.

^Edit: Took the words right out of my mouth..That is not a station. That opening is more than likely for a garage door of some type. I still think it is a computer control room for the LSM technology.

I'm pretty sure they have been. Much like they have been in front of the camera, they've been working there way out of that back clearing as well. For what it's worth, there gonna have to have footers in that area to get into that clearing.

Very true. It's hard to keep track with this one static shot.

I still think it is a computer control room for the LSM technology.

I agree. The only issues I have with that are the garage door opening and the "window" in the corner of the structure. I would think one would want an air tight building for computer components when it comes to the winters in our area and a garage type door doesn't offer that...and if they do find a way to seal it from air/water it's still a thin wall that isn't insulated. I could be wrong on the needs of computers, though. Another reason is that corner "window". I could see it being for electronic cables from the computers to the LSM's but...I wouldn't imaging you'd need an opening that large. With pneumatic piping, however, you would need something that large.

I still 97% think it's LSM..

opening wide enough for a wing B&M?...probably just a mechanical building

Going in the building and making a sharp turn to fit the whole train in the long part of the building? And the building being that close to the footers if it is a wing?

opening wide enough for a wing B&M?...probably just a mechanical building

Going in the building and making a sharp turn to fit the whole train in the long part of the building? And the building being that close to the footers if it is a wing?

Yeah, probably not...for a second thought the opening towards the camera went all the way through.

Maybe it's restrooms? Haha

LOL you know just kinda thinking about it, restrooms and an additional Pepsi oasis would make sense, ESPECIALLY, if this ride is thrilling. There is an oasis and restrooms near the other three coasters. I imagine its good to reduce the amount of umm bodily fluids that might otherwise end up on the walks. And I know that I FOR SURE appreciate the Pepsi oasis being so close to the Voyage. Lol thats a intense machine.. It makes me quite thirsty lol.