TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^&^^We all know that B&M didn't make the launch for Hulk, but as normal guests don't even know what B&M is I find it a bit odd that they would say "first of its kind" and end up being something so specific. For most people this would be just another launched coaster, which there are plenty of. So I was pretty intrigued when I heard it would be a first of its kind.

Outside of us, the GP doesn't really hold on to "first" "tallest" "fastest"...they just want a fun ride! Yellow and orange...hummm that sounds like a great combo! Im trying to think is there a coaster with that scheme going on?

This isn't true at all. HW makes their claims to tallest, fastest, ect, WELL known. They even post HUGE golden tickets on their coasters of their awards. The GP in their region are WELL aware of these things. Not only because if their advertising but HW is a very special place to most around here. It's hard to explain exactly but ask anyone who lives around here and they will tell you the same. I feel like its a little bit different than just your typical "home park scenario"

^^ I'm exactly with you on that prediction. As I've said before, there is nothing unique nor is it a world first if it's a just a launched B&M sit-down looper. You can't advertise the worlds first launched B&M to the GP, it just won't sell. Now the worlds first launched flying coaster (especially if the launch is lying down), that sells.

Really? So they cant market a world class, thrilling launch coaster? Holiday World will be aiming at us enthusiasts as well as the general public. The general public wont care if the ride is a first or not. As long a the coaster is great, they'll love it and holiday world can easily market both types you've mentioned. I'll have my final prediction as a sitdown, terrain lunch coaster. I think it'll be B&M, so I hope it's intense.

I'm probably just repeating what someone else has posted, I apologize if so, but Tatsu is B&M's highest, longest, fastest flying coaster....at $21 million.

The general public wont care if the ride is a first or not.

Yeah, because no one in the general public prefers the shiny new toy over the one little Timmy got four Christmases ago.

I just couldn't see a flyer that launches being Holiday Worlds first major steel coaster. I'm thinking that it will be a B&M sit down launch coaster, but something else about it will make it unique

^^I was only commenting on your statement of the GP not caring if the ride was a first or not. Having the first of something is pretty much all the American public cares about. Best comes in a close second.

Well of course, a worlds first is a very marketable thing. But any new coaster is very marketable and this one certainly will be. If it was to be a Launched flyer then id expect changes to the train, loading layed down would be uncomfortable in the launch and while loading.

^^ I'm exactly with you on that prediction. As I've said before, there is nothing unique nor is it a world first if it's a just a launched B&M sit-down looper. You can't advertise the worlds first launched B&M to the GP, it just won't sell. Now the worlds first launched flying coaster (especially if the launch is lying down), that sells.

Really? So they cant market a world class, thrilling launch coaster? Holiday World will be aiming at us enthusiasts as well as the general public. The general public wont care if the ride is a first or not. As long a the coaster is great, they'll love it and holiday world can easily market both types you've mentioned. I'll have my final prediction as a sitdown, terrain lunch coaster. I think it'll be B&M, so I hope it's intense.

As I've said before, it is kind of expected for HW to build a first or build the biggest and best. I told somebody the other day at work who was talking about how HW had the top wooden roller coaster in The Voyage that The Voyage was no longer the top wooden roller coaster. Their response, "Oh I'm sure HW will just build something bigger and better." I hear comments like that from people about HW all the time. I never said that they couldn't market a sit-down launched coaster, I said they couldn't advertise the worlds first B&M launched coaster to the public. That wouldn't register to the GP. They have no idea who B&M is. When you market the worlds first flying (backwards lying-down) launched coaster, that makes people want to drive all the way from Ohio, Louisville, Nashville, Northern Illinois, and St. Louis to come ride the thing. The GP will eat it up. As I've said before, I don't really want a flyer, and I would prefer what you've predicted. But I'm afraid the clues and physical evidence outweigh what me or you may want. Is it a coincidence that the color the park used in the 66 days campaign photos is teal and there is teal track sitting at the B&M plant for a flyer/invert. Is it a coincidence that there are multiple references in the journal to birds and flying? Is it a coincidence that there are multiple references to starring at the clouds, as you would do in a launch lying down? Finally, something I just realized today, there are multiple references to having to turnaround and go back, as in turning around and going backwards. Is that a coincidence?

If it was to be a Launched flyer then id expect changes to the train, loading fully layed down would be uncomfortable in the launch and while loading.

Who said they had to be lying down to board? I know I suggested that, but they could have riders board like normal flyers and have a opening like Hydra. Then they would be put on their back for a launch.

^you're making a lot of good points there, you could be right. I'll stick to it being a sitdown but you could be right. But launching on your back would be very uncomfortable at high speed, it hasnt been done before right?

Edited by RyanTPM

^ Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast. The GP loves it at SFSTL and I'm sure they do at SFOT. I didn't find it uncomfortable at all. If you have a bad back, maybe, but if you're lying down, that shouldn't be a problem. I mean they do that pretzel loop where you go through the pull out backwards lying down at a high speed and that is regarded as one of the best elements of the flyers.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Way out there prediction:

B&M Sit down - First half like Mavericks first half, ends in a show building. In the building the train stops, the seats tilt back (laying on your back now). The train starts going in reverse (Revenge of the Mummy/Firechaser switch track) and flips you over into the flying position. From there it launches and has an awesome terrain hugging layout.

As I've said before, it is kind of expected for HW to build a first or build the biggest and best. I told somebody the other day at work who was talking about how HW had the top wooden roller coaster in The Voyage that The Voyage was no longer the top wooden roller coaster. Their response, "Oh I'm sure HW will just build something bigger and better." I hear comments like that from people about HW all the time.

But why? What is the basis for people to think that HW routinely builds the "biggest and best coasters." I mean, HW has 3 great coasters, but only one approximates the "biggest" description (and it did not break any records as "biggest" anything). Raven is great, Legend is very good -- neither is anywhere near a "biggest" of anything. The assumption makes sense for Cedar Point, in terms of record breakers, but not HW.

Fortunately, in the coaster department HW seems more concerned with quality versus size. Obviously, the new one sounds like it will be a monster, but I don't think the HW history with coasters would necessarily point you the "biggest" in the coaster department.

But why? What is the basis for people to think that HW routinely builds the "biggest and best coasters." I mean, HW has 3 great coasters, but only one approximates the "biggest" description (and it did not break any records as "biggest" anything). Raven is great, Legend is very good -- neither is anywhere near a "biggest" of anything. The assumption makes sense for Cedar Point, in terms of record breakers, but not HW.

The Raven- #1 wooden roller coaster on the planet 1999-2003

The Voyage- Most seconds of airtime on any coaster on the planet- #1 wooden roller coaster 2007-2012

Pilgrims Plunge- opened as the world tallest water ride

Wildebeest-opened as the worlds longest water coaster-#1 waterpark ride on the planet since 2010

Mammoth-world longest water coaster- top 3 in the worlds best waterpark ride poll

Splashin' Safari-#2 waterpark on the planet

Holiday World and Splashin' Safari-Cleanest park and Friendliest staff multiple times.

The park as won the "Applause Award", which is considered a very high honor in the amusement industry.

The park advertises all of these things around here, and this where that expectation comes from. Get where I'm coming from? Quote from Leah Koch on Holiblog about her father, Will Koch: "Dad liked to build really great things, often the first of their kind."

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Way out there prediction:

B&M Sit down - First half like Mavericks first half, ends in a show building. In the building the train stops, the seats tilt back (laying on your back now). The train starts going in reverse (Revenge of the Mummy/Firechaser switch track) and flips you over into the flying position. From there it launches and has an awesome terrain hugging layout.

Awful, just awful

As a former employee who worked all the Thanksgiving rides, including Pilgrim's Plunge, I'd say nothing Intamin will come within a stones throwing distance of Holiday World. It was a mechanical failure of a contraption. I loved riding it, but it was poorly designed, had more downtime then fathomable, and was maintenance nightmare. Anyone hoping for something Intamin, well I hate to be the guy to tell you, but it's not going to happen. At least for now. They're safety record is pretty horrendous and one thing Holiday World strives for is Saftey over anything.

As a former employee who worked all the Thanksgiving rides, including Pilgrim's Plunge, I'd say nothing Intamin will come within a stones throwing distance of Holiday World. It was a mechanical failure of a contraption. I loved riding it, but it was poorly designed, had more downtime then fathomable, and was maintenance nightmare. Anyone hoping for something Intamin, well I hate to be the guy to tell you, but it's not going to happen. At least for now. They're safety record is pretty horrendous and one thing Holiday World strives for is Saftey over anything.

Intamin's safety record is horrible? Please explain.