TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

^I was very dubious about the new maps app (I got the vibe that they were trying to distance themselves from Google more than create a better experience for the end user) but a friend of mine who is a developer has been using it for a while and was raving to me about it a few days ago. Apparently the turn by turn works fantastically. The only thing he says it is missing is GPS readout of your speed.

I can't wait to get my hands on the phone!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google will most likely release the Google Maps iOS app once iOS 6 goes public. They only just recently released the YouTube iOS app.

I don't think Apple allows developers to release a product that overlaps existing iOS features.

I knew that Apples Maps was a downgrade but wow.

Bowling Green is in the middle of NOWHERE. I imagine they're concentrating their efforts on greater population density areas first. Though there probably are a lot of smart phone users there.

Yeah, it seems like Apple Maps are for now a step down from Google Maps. Though I guess some people will appreciate the turn-by-turn navigation.

There always seems to be something that people negatively latch onto with every new Apple launch, rather it be an iOS update or new iPhone release. I am sure people remember the ridiculous antennae issue where people weren't using their phone correctly and causing issues with reception. This is why I am always a little hesitant to get the new updates or devices right away. There are always a few kinks that need to be worked out and that they quickly provide an update for, so that it is a non-issue.

I personally only used the Google Maps app to find something really fast, like a restaurant or quick directions to somewhere I was going. If I wanted a more detailed map, I always went on a computer and used Google Earth or maps on the bigger screen.

I am sure people remember the ridiculous antennae issue where people weren't using their phone correctly and causing issues with reception.

You can't possibly see it that way. That was 100% a flaw in the phones design.

Sure, you can still use Google Maps in the browser, but having to result to doing that is just plain stupid. I don't necessarily think Apple wanting their own maps is dumb (actually its a compilation of TomTom's maps and a few other companies Apple has acquired), Microsoft has their own, but they should have just waited and continued to use Google until it actually worked. The argument of 'give them time' is ignorant, you shouldn't be comfortable using inferior feature lacking software just because it's newer and hasn't been in development as long.

What is dumb is that Apples grudge against Google is more important that providing quality software, whether it's 'theirs' or not.

Edited by SLUSHIE

You can't possibly see it that way. That was 100% a flaw in the phones design.

Actually, yes. I can possibly see it that way. You seriously need to work on the tone in your posts, because you have developed a pattern of making very condescending and aggressive posts. This is a discussion board, so you are welcome to disagree with someone's posts, but you need to do so in a constructive manner.

I am also just going to leave this with you:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=923126#p923126

There was no "flaw". There was a few people who complained because they couldn't hold a phone properly, and several people who jumped on the bandwagon so they could get a free case.

Edited by ernierocker

My "flawed" phone works just fine both with or without its case.

I'm looking forward to both the iOS and the phone. Unfortunately I missed the initial preorder window (thanks AT&T for not texting me like you said you would. ) so who knows when I'll get it. I'm also hesitant to update to ios 6 while in china in case something doesn't work.

I don't mean to be. I changed the only word that could be considered an attack, though it wasn't, to ignorant. I mean that in a 'blind' way not a 'unintelligent' way.

The post Robb did which I think you directly linked to relates it to the whole Wii Remote thing, which I don't exactly agree with what he was saying there. The remote thing is purely an user accident, and then Nintendo tried to provide a answer to something that had to be addressed regardless of that.

The antenna thing was an accident in design. Sure they used the excuse that it happens on antennas with all phones, the antenna on the iPhone at the time just happened to be in a poor location. Sure it got blown out of proportion and probably wasn't an issue most of the time, but with an already low signal, sweaty hands, or who knows what it probably did make a difference. To say that people were holding the phone wrong just means Apple didn't expect people to hold the phone a certain way, and that shouldn't be the users fault unless it was 100% obvious that you weren't supposed to hold it that way, which it wasn't.

Also that post is over 2 years old and we know a lot more about it now. It's possible that Robb has even changed his opinion.

My "flawed" phone works just fine both with or without its case.

Unless you have a first run iPhone 4 I expect you shouldn't have a problem, and even then it probably just depends on the phone. Just like the first run Xbox 360s, some have problems some don't.

Anyways both of these things are totally pointless discussions now, lol.

I should also add that my post about the maps was more in response to comments I have read elsewhere than anything anyone has said here.

Edited by SLUSHIE

^Thanks. That was much more constructive and yes it is a pointless discussion now.

The point I was trying to make is that Apple is not perfect, but at times it seems that certain consumers jump at the first sign of weakness and blow it out of proportion. It happens a LOT and the antennae issue was just an example. I don't use my phone for everything in my every day life, and still prefer to use my computer or laptop to do a lot of activities. Therefore, a less than detailed map app at the initial launch of the new iOS is not a big deal to me. Yes, the Apple vs. Google feud is ridiculous, but Google is a legitimate competitor now to Apple, and paying them a bunch of money to use the app no longer made any sense in Apple's business model. In a short period of time, Apple will make the fix and this will be a non-issue just like the reception issue.

Well, I officially have iOS 6 on my phone, just waiting for it to configure. I'm glad that I'm aware of the inferior map system that the phone now as, as well as the lack of the stock Youtube app (I'll just download the Youtube app and put it on my home screen) but I'm looking forward to trying out the panoramic photo feature and utilizing Siri for Facebook (as long as she doesn't fumble up my posts)...

Speaking of Siri, when we were leaving SCBB a couple weeks ago, I asked her to find the nearest McDonalds and she went off and attempted pulling up Kmart instead. After bad-mouthing her she finally pulled it up as we all got a good laugh out of the whole situation.

Me: Where's the nearest McDonalds?

Siri: No Kmart found

Me: No, where is the nearest McDonalds?

Siri: (I found 3 places matching )

Me: No! Siri, you fail!

Siri: I'm trying the best I can

Me: No you aren't!

Siri: If you say so.

Finally we found where McD's was.

A quick update and question. First off I like the new update so far, minus the fact I had to download Youtube. It was pretty neat seeing my neighborhood in 3D as well, though some structures look a bit funky (trees look like turds). Also, was battery life improved with this? I've been playing with my phone for the past 25-30 minutes non stop and I'm still at 100%. I was normally down to 97-95 depending on what I was doing.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Has there ever been a perfect app/software/firmware that hasn't needed an update?...I don't think so.

Google maps is clearly the better product. But by removing it, Apple gains more control over the phone experience and can now begin working on improving the app and better integration in the iOS ecosystem.

^Very true. Apple can now customize their maps how they want to and I'm sure with the amount of rants about their new map system, an update is coming soon.

Here's my 'first impressions' so far...I'm sure I'll uncover several new surprises in the coming weeks.

The good:

I like the whole Facebook integration thing...Gone are the days of copying a URL and pasting it into FB...instead, I can share the page (and even text it to a friend). Siri is capable of posting status updates to Facebook which could come in handy. Sometimes I'm too lazy to type about my CGA adventures and can get it out quicker speaking it out.

Speaking of Siri, at first she seemed like she went through a voice change and sounded softer/more raspy when she spoke. She's capable of giving me the score of the most recent game, and she can now launch apps (goodbye fumbling through 6 pages of apps).

I then discovered (was not sure if it was available on the previous iOS 5 on the 4S but Siri is capable of reading off text that I highlight. It was quite interesting having her read off some coaster talk...she actually said "Vekoma" properly, and she sounded quite nerdy!

The panoramic feature is going to be pretty neat though it did squish my TV when I tested it out indoors. I wish I could do a full 360 but it's limited to 2xx degrees (don't have exact number).

I have not used Passbook yet, but I can only imagine the future of my Season Passes, being stored right on my phone. It could come in handy, can say goodbye to accidentally leaving a pass at home, losing it, or having a pass suffer 3 seasons of wear and tear (mine has a small crack in it now).

I'll probably post more when I come across more stuff, hopefully I'll run into some nice little surprises even several months from now.

Annoyances:

I was a little annoyed that the Youtube stock app was missing but found that the youtube app you can get via the app store is more robust anyway and behaves more like the desktop site. I previously never bothered with getting a Youtube app since the phone already had Youtube as a stock app...a bit redundant.

The map is definitely not perfect as it can't even find my home park, CGA. However, checking out a handful of amusement parks and test driving the 3D mode, it appears that CGA is the only map 3d-ified. The 3D could use some work if they choose to fine tune it. Some structures look cool, thinner structures don't look so good...check this out (I shared this in the CGA thread as well). This is the 3D rendering of Flight Deck.

It was pretty neat though to see my neighborhood in its 3D glory...surprised the 3D was even done for my 'hole in the wall' city.

I now have to get used to the App Store layout. It's neat but I'm not used to it whatsoever...it reminds me of the Playstation's "XMB" interface where you can scroll vertically and horizontally for the individual items...almost like the Wonka-vator that can go all directions

Other than the map and lack of Youtube initially, I'm liking the iOS6. I am on a 4S so I'm capable to use all of the new OS's features. I can't really speak for the 4 users but speaking to one, they were let down as a lot of the big guns aren't accessible to the 4.

Well, I was going to wait until November to get my phone, but I bit the bullet today and ordered my phone today. Going to take 2-3 weeks, so we will see how long it takes to actually get it. I should of reserved one, because I knew I would end up changing my mind once they released!

My iPhone 5 was delivered around 10:30 this morning and after a few hours playing around with it I'm very happy. Transferring all my information over was a breeze as was setting it up. I didn't have any of the scratches or screen bubbles and such that people have been noting online, so I consider myself lucky. Ran down to the local AT&T store to pick up a case and screen protector just to be on the safe side. Coming from the iPhone 4 I'm amazed by how light it feels and moves faster, and I'm totally loving the new earPods.