TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Batman was being its usual awesome self, I prefer it more than Nitro at this point.

I really feel like Batman is the second best coaster in the park. I'm not even knocking the other rides when I say that, I just don't see how anyone doesn't like a ride that's this intense, fast and smooth. There's nothing not to love about it.

Batman was being its usual awesome self, I prefer it more than Nitro at this point.

I really feel like Batman is the second best coaster in the park. I'm not even knocking the other rides when I say that, I just don't see how anyone doesn't like a ride that's this intense, fast and smooth. There's nothing not to love about it.

I second that (no pun intended). At this point the top 3 rides in the park for me are Toro, Batman and Zumanjaro.

Batman is indeed awesome. And I'm always saying this but it amazes me how a 21 year old coaster with such fast transitions (and build only 3 years after B&M's first ride) is still so smooth. It's among the smoothest coasters I've ridden.

I love Batman. It was my first looper, and it's been the one constant since I started my coaster obsession 15 years ago. Hell, in all those years, I don't ever remember it being down...not once.

With that said, I can't put it above Toro, Nitro or Ka. Nothing I've ever ridden quite matches up with Toro, Nitro is a mile long and very well diverse (despite no ejector), and Ka's launch is more breathtaking than B:TR's extended intensity.

Nothing wrong with #4, though

I love Batman. It was my first looper, and it's been the one constant since I started my coaster obsession 15 years ago. Hell, in all those years, I don't ever remember it being down...not once.

With that said, I can't put it above Toro, Nitro or Ka. Nothing I've ever ridden quite matches up with Toro, Nitro is a mile long and very well diverse (despite no ejector), and Ka's launch is more breathtaking than B:TR's extended intensity.

I used to think this way but I much rather ride Batman's short intense layout and face it's assault of inversions and tight turns than Nitro's drawn out mile long course at this point. It is all personal preference. Kingda Ka, no never. I would way rather ride Batman than wait on line for an hour just for a launch.

I used to think this way but I much rather ride Batman's short intense layout and face it's assault of inversions and tight turns than Nitro's drawn out mile long course at this point. It is all personal preference. Kingda Ka, no never. I would way rather ride Batman than wait on line for an hour just for a launch.

Batman is intense, but lacks variety. Two loops, 2 corkscrews, zero g, and some snappy turns. It doesn't have height or speed in its favor compared to other inverts, and they took out most of its theming. Nitro has height, speed, length, great scenery, abundance of floater and an intense helix.

I am all about intensity, but Nitro is one of those mild rides that is just extremely fun. As for Ka, I rarely ride anywhere but front row, so that's definitely the driving force for that argument. As you said, it's all personal preference.

After making it up to the park two Fridays ago we figured it would be the last trip to SFGAdv for us this year. Then me and my bro got that passholder email from the park re: the ERT for passholders on Z:DOD this morning so like the nerds we are, even with a full day of other activities planned, we actually went up for just an hour today.

The park was opening @ 11am, and ERT was 10:30-11am. I was skeptical we'd get many rides in being Fright Fest, but we figured what the hell. If we can get one or two without having to wait it was worth getting out of bed early on a Sunday morning. Hell, since this was my 10th trip to the park this year (and 11th SF park) this wasn't costing me a dime.

Our only issue: we had to be done, and out of the park and on the road by 11:45am. Crazy, right? Our plan: a few rides on Z:DOD, a front seat ride on KK, a magic seat ride on Toro, and run to the car. It didn't quite turn out that way, but we had a crapload of fun in 1 hour & 15 minutes.

DSC03336.JPG.4fbf6b0b7186c21e9fd8cbed1353ace1.JPG

It was kind of dead on arrival

DSC03340.JPG.504952aa569ffca488b5851a87325b54.JPG

I only had some coffee & it made me crazy jittery

DSC03352.JPG.f9358c1659be0c2044b00ea6ed3a8425.JPG

There was quite the crowd at the gate, but we only had about 6-7 people in front of us

DSC03357.JPG.f1b3fd2875523d844d2affbd33c93ba0.JPG

Ready for light-to-moderate winds and 50 degree temps at 415 ft in the air

DSC03361.JPG.d224a67c1d15c30b2568c2ca2886786b.JPG

They opened the gate @ exactly 10:30, and we skipped the rope drop. GP was being told they had to wait until 11. Outta my way suckas!

DSC03375.JPG.d8ed6021ac7f50131a987d54b29331db.JPG

And had ourselves a nerdy 'light jog' over to the Golden Kingdom

DSC03379.JPG.8df489a6a59537387a2964d4eb508218.JPG

Pretty quiet this early

DSC03385.JPG.fa4eedc46eb378ddaba88ccab3bf2ec9.JPG

Toro was testing, we were hoping to get a spin

DSC03421.JPG.6f04b39f6e15b11a0c91434d49d26f3f.JPG

As was Ka

DSC03423.JPG.c0292600c6f2223160dccb5b09089a23.JPG

DSC03437.JPG.9a7e1fb9dcebe21dbc06de4e98a6ac8b.JPG

Gotta love ERT. We got on the 2nd gondola of the day, and were able to hop over and ride again right away.

DSC03443.JPG.a8b8273206311ee91042832d2cf3a0f8.JPG

After our 2nd ride, the line gotten long enough and it was close enough to 11am that we tried for KK, but there was a good 50-70 people lined up at the entrance already. Kind of insane, so we skipped.

DSC03444.JPG.76dec4860866ac79f30e86a0035f95a1.JPG

I had a feeling El Toro would be quiet as it usually is the 1/2 hour to hour after the park opens

DSC03452.JPG.cf4429ca758e54f12661477e304c9f6f.JPG

So we headed there

DSC03464.JPG.c3f28a9d9eddf7e23dba573e6b396b48.JPG

And walked right on

DSC03466.JPG.732898b2cd985035d5aa5be83b65b2f8.JPG

DSC03468.JPG.2f317b6a713f19a7f80ffae3dccbe31f.JPG

And sat in the magic seat 2x in a row without getting up

DSC03471.JPG.9cd8c3bd0c504c4d0e66a44f2bbe7881.JPG

Then we moved up a row for a 3rd ride and befriended the couple who stole the magic seat.

DSC03473.JPG.f46e754c89b232fd438cf14172749deb.JPG

We stayed on for a 4th ride in the same row...

DSC03478.JPG.e8a7d126034413b10b15238f4777d1fe.JPG

and our new friends moved ahead of us for their 2nd ride.

DSC03496.JPG.d157019ca50ac3b0fa96d2c70656d7c1.JPG

Time check 11:35am, we wish our new friends a good day. 2x Zumanjaro 4x El Toro, but we gotta go.

DSC03517.JPG.8d58b1844f589bd67da07c707a445f40.JPG

We head to the car and say goodbye to the park for real this time. An 'encore' performance of sorts. BTW, Toro really hates the cold mornings, huh? Slowest rides I've had all year... Obviously not bad, how could it be? But almost thought we would valley on that last dip before the break run.

DSC03348.JPG.a18739872c2adb026547616d2ca7ab6f.JPG

Wont be hard to find Tom in a crowd today

Next Sunday the plan is to get one last visit in before the end of the season... Its been 10 years since I've attended Fright Fest and at that time, I was an employee at SFOG.

Im hoping that the crowds wont be bad seeing as how it will be a Sunday. The plan is to arrive at opening (11am per the website) and leave at about 9-9:30pm to avoid traffic. Im keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned. And yes i'm excited! As long as I get to ride Nitro and Toro at night, i'll be satisfied...

This is the park I would like to visit the most. El Toro is #1 on my coaster bucket list; it looks AMAZING. And Nitro looks fun too.

El Toro is amazing. Superman, Batman, Skull Mountain, Kingda Ka and Bizarro are awesome too. Nitro was fun but nothing amazing like people say.

I disagree! After Toro, Nitro is the best coaster in the park by far. It's not as forceful and intense as Batman or Toro but its height and speed more than make up for it. Sit in the back for the best floater air down the first drop and it doesn't really let up until you slam onto the break run. I haven't been on too many hypers but Nitro towers at the top of my list.

After all the trips Ive taken this summer right now my favorite to least favorite rides in the park are:

El Toro (nothing compares, 10/10 ride every time)

Nitro

Zumanjaro (used to hate drop rides but this is the greatest rush)

Batman/Bizarro tied (I love the effects, great pacing of elements and smooth yet moderately forceful ride on Biz, but Bat is also smooth and packs a hell of a punch in its very short cycle)

Superman (that preztel loop, come on!)

Skull Mountain (so fun!, F the haters!)

Runaway Mine Train (pretty great coaster for being so old, I enjoy night rides)

Kingda Ka (one trick pony certainly not worth waiting more than 1/2 hour for)

Blackbeards (rode it once, it was fun)

Green Lantern (no such thing as a good ride on this)

Dark Knight (the epitomy of suckage)

For those complaining that the park hasn't been using both sides of the skyway, apparently the one side the park hasn't been using has been having problems since early in the season. So, using one side wasn't because the park was trying to save a few bucks like we all thought, but actually for mechanical reasons. Two sided use should return for 2015 when the other side is properly fixed.

Well why haven't they fixed it. its been broke almost the whole season. They are being cheap. They are not fixing it.

and I just prefer airtime as I go over the top of the hills rather than after I'm already over the top.

Me too. I know it's technically the same but I find it more fun this way. The good thing about the back is always the first drop.

However I've never sat on the front row of nitro so I'm not sure.

For those complaining that the park hasn't been using both sides of the skyway, apparently the one side the park hasn't been using has been having problems since early in the season. So, using one side wasn't because the park was trying to save a few bucks like we all thought, but actually for mechanical reasons. Two sided use should return for 2015 when the other side is properly fixed.

Well why haven't they fixed it. its been broke almost the whole season. They are being cheap. They are not fixing it.

Maybe, just maybe they are waiting on parts. The local SkyRide parts store was out of what SFGAdv needed.

Maybe, just maybe they are waiting on parts. The local SkyRide parts store was out of what SFGAdv needed.

Love it! Yes- one of my favorite places to shop.....the local SkyRide parts store!!!!!

Just wanted to add this photo from Sunday, I was waiting for my bro-in-law to scan and email it to me. There's more pictures that I didn't post here of my city, the journey up to the park, etc and other more extensive trip reports from this year on my recently launched blog (link below in signature if you want to check it out).

greatadventure10202014.jpg.672681c2cc0ca32d3d5aa9670764d8ae.jpg

My final and 27th lap on El Toro this year this past Sunday morning.

Just wanted to add this photo from Sunday, I was waiting for my bro-in-law to scan and email it to me. There's more pictures that I didn't post here of my city, the journey up to the park, etc and other more extensive trip reports from this year on my recently launched blog (link below in signature if you want to check it out).

I love how ALMOST everyone has their hands up! LOL Reminds me of my solo ride in the back seat. I love how the kid has his thumbs up like he's not even flying down the track. LOL. Quick question though... I have a souvenir cup that I purchased during my visit back in June. Can I bring that with me next weekend? And if so, how much would the refills cost?

ElToro.thumb.jpg.3b1de635311b986a138b576cde68c23b.jpg

I love how ALMOST everyone has their hands up! LOL Reminds me of my solo ride in the back seat. I love how the kid has his thumbs up like he's not even flying down the track. LOL. Quick question though... I have a souvenir cup that I purchased during my visit back in June. Can I bring that with me next weekend? And if so, how much would the refills cost?

Yeah you can bring it. i think its something like 5-10 bucks for refills.

You can. It's $0.99 a refill.

Crowds weren't too bad tonight, my longest wait was around 30 minutes for Nitro. Kingda Ka and El Toro were both listed on the closed rides board before opening, but both rides opened a little after opening. It looked like all ride lines closed 20 - 25 minutes early. By 11:35, Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro both had their lines closed for the night and checking other rides they looked like they had not just recently closed (lights off in the station or flat rides with lights off).