TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Locals please chime in!

I know this is an impossible quesiton to answer -- but with next weekend being the last hoorah for GASM, have the crowds or lines been longer since they made the announcement? I'm thinknig about making the trek to GADV next weekend to get the credit for GASM, since it's the only one of the three Arrow triplets I've not been on (SFGAM is my original home park, and I rode Shockwave several times before they demolished it, and I've been to SFMM for Viper over the years). Having missed out riding Shockwave before it went away, GASM is the next closest thing and once it's gone, there will never be anything else like it ever again.

I parked by GASM's loops to try to get some first drop and loop pics today. From GASM's MCBR to the base of SUF's lift the first few rows of parking spots are included in the premium parking section. They were empty today. I found pink paint spots about two parking rows apart going all the way along SUF's lift to its base. That's where I suspected Chang's lift will run. In park I found a couple pink spots at GASM's switchbacks at its front entrance. Maybe that marks where Chang's first corkscrew will go. On my way out in the parking lot by SUF's top of the lift/beginning of the first drop I finally found a surveying pin surrounded by pink paint.

From GASM's MCBR to the base of SUF's lift the first few rows of parking spots are included in the premium parking section.
sfgavd1.jpg.0b9e2acdeb91031ccfe257ace6f1f4fa.jpg

Not my photo.

What your saying is, the placement looks to be exactly like this? If so that is great news as it will look stunning towering over S:UF which may make Superman a more interesting coaster to ride. It looks like the parking lot COULD be ripped up if placed there. Let's hope it is and they plant grass and trees. This also leaves room for a pretty large expansion in the yellow area. Maybe Golden Kingom flats?

^

That's pushing it though. This is looking like Six flags all over agian in the early 00's. Let's just plonk down rides where there is room. I like seeing a coaster being moved to a park that woill be very pleased with it, but I think it could have gone else where as well. Granted, this park is one of the main Parks in the chain, but I just think if it were to be placed like that, it will look sloppy. I rather see flats then a coaster really..

Coasterprince, this is exactly how I pictured it. I'm not so good with paint shop so finally you get some good rep points from me. With this vision yes, I thought there would be a new rectangular plot behind Parachutes and Twister. Pushing it is my thought that this is the kind of space you need for a Giant Frisbee. Realistically I think it could extra storage/parking for Security and First Aid which I think is right by Golden Kingdom's gates from the Boardwalk.

I've noticed a couple of times in the thread that some people would prefer flats over coaster so, what's the big deal if GADV doesn't necessarily have as many flat rides compared to roller coasters? The flat rides GADV has to offer don't necessarily interest me... maybe if they installed a Zipper, but for $50 a ticket, I don't really care much for flat rides when GADV has 13 (eventually 12, then 13) coasters. That's just me though.

I've noticed a couple of times in the thread that some people would prefer flats over coaster so, what's the big deal if GADV doesn't necessarily have as many flat rides compared to roller coasters? The flat rides GADV has to offer don't necessarily interest me... maybe if they installed a Zipper, but for $50 a ticket, I don't really care much for flat rides when GADV has 13 (eventually 12, then 13) coasters. That's just me though.

Do you realize that quality flat rides take people away from the coaster lines, making for shorter ride times on the major coasters?

Currently, all 6 of Great Adventure's flats are at least 10 years old (this excludes kiddie rides). Fantasy Fling has been in operation much longer than it should have been (it doesn't go anywhere near as high as other Round-ups anymore). Twister, a Top-Spin, is the only "adult" flat left, and it usually runs rather lame programs. The Bucaneer, Jolly Roger, Carousel, and Tea Cups are enjoyable, but not enough and nothing too special.

Quality flats would be some new rides that can be enjoyed by kids who are getting bored by the kiddie sections but not 54", and some for adults too to take away from coaster lines. We used to have a Frisbee, I would love to see a Giant Frisbee. A Screamin Swing would also be amazing. Both of them would attract adults. I like seeing Troika! at Cedar Point, and don't know whether it is still made, but that would be a nice one too. These are my hopes, but with only 6 to start with, the park needs pretty much anything.

I would like to see some thrilling flats, family flats and tame rides (antique cars, interactive dark ride, train) added to the park. I go to the park for coasters but if I feel like riding something else I have trouble finding non coaster rides since the few non coaster rides I like are usualy closed (skyway) or have too long of a line (parachutes, log flume)

Yeah, they got rid of it in 2007 or 2008. It had mechanical problems and the spot has some turbo bungee upcharge ride. There is no reason they couldn't have replaced it with a new swing ride but that is a problem with the park, they remove flats without replacing them.

Personally, I'm not as much as a thrill ride fan as I'd like to be. I'll do the Gravitron and Round Up at the Fun Fair, but I don't need anything particularly intense. Going on the swings is good enough for me or like a tilt-o-whirl. That being said, GADV has this incredible density of awesome rides in one park. Kingda Ka, Bizarro, El Toro, Batman, Nitro, SUF, and what have you. It'd be more cost efficient for them to bring more great rides to one location then spread them out or destroy them.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but there's some updated news on Coaster Craze 2010!

Check out the flier on Valleyfair's Website & come out next Friday to what I'm sure will be a rainy, yet fun filled day (as usual).

ERT on Xtreme Swing, Wild Thing, and Renegade, Luncheon, High Roller Walkback, and much more!

Should be a good time!

First, a quote from YoshiFan:

There is no reason they couldn't have replaced it with a new swing ride, but that is a problem with the park: they remove flats without replacing them.

That is actually how I felt about Six Flags America during the past years when that park started removing ride after ride and not bothering to replace them. I was so enraged by this ( "Six Flags America is being treated like the bastard son of the Six Flags family!") I decided to boycott all Six Flags parks. This year, with the opening of Thomas Town, I removed the ban and actually got a Six Flags America season pass.

Second, my friend and I were there during their annual coaster celebration event and that was the last coaster we rode before leaving the park( "And I never thought it'd be the last time I'll be riding that coaster. sigh I guess I'd have to get my roller coaster knocks and bumps from another ride"). Should we both decide to return next year for another coaster celebration event, then I'm afraid I'll have to skip Chang. Why? you asked me. Simple! I'll reply. I cannot ride standup coasters because I find them too painful for me to ride on! I got no problems with Kingsta Ka, El Toro, Superman, and not even Rolling Thunder, but I cannot ride a standup.

Finally, I need to go: I think my pillow is getting lonely.

"You got that right, buster!"

I can't wait to have that seagull beak in our park. Hopefully they light it up like Mantis.

Why does everyone now think that Chang is going to SFGAdv just because of GASM's removal? At this point, it really could be going anywhere. It bothered me when people thoroughly believed Chang was going to appear at SFGAm, and at this point, it could still be going to ANY Six Flags park. Why are coaster enthusiasts so gullible?

I just hope they theme the ride well. SF has got to realize were not talking about Manta's aquariums here, that themeing a ride to the section its in or atleast put in more than cutouts of people in queues(superman) is fine.

^It's already confirmed by the park that it's a "major" new attraction going into GASM's area in 2011. GAm has already confirmed they cancelled 2011 coaster plans so thats out, and Gadv makes the most sense so they are speculating on IF it comes to the park in 2011