TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^ Yeah its in the passholder email that went out today. Weds and Thurs select rides for a "soft opening". Lame. The only reason I want to go is to ride The Bull. Really don't want to go through the trouble of getting the day off work and trekking out there and its closed.

Edited by boldikus

LOL nah, I got to ride it a bunch during HITP. I am just missing Toro, Zum and Bizarro to be honest I could care less about the west side of the park.

Except maybe Batman.

Here's the link...

You don’t want to miss the start of our new season! Join us March 23 & 24 for our soft opening, where you can preview a limited number of your favorite rides, games, restaurants and attractions plus meet our new team members before the entire park is in full swing for Opening Weekend, presented by Allegra® on Friday. To make sure you’re fully prepared for the fun, plan your visit ahead of time. Follow these nine simple steps before you leave the house!

Also Six Flags is advising you to...

5. Practice riding your favorite coaster at home.

Watch one of our exclusive point of view ride videos to help you prepare for a ride on your favorite coaster. You’ll virtually experience all the drops and twists like you’re actually there. Work back up to that gut-wrenching feeling in your stomach and you’ll handle it with ease when you arrive.

Everyone get to work on that...

LOL nah, I got to ride it a bunch during HITP. I am just missing Toro, Zum and Bizarro to be honest.

Yeah, agreed. I got a chance to ride the Bizarro clone out at Magic Mountain last weekend, and to be honest, ain't nothing like the real thing. The effects and theming are a lot more appealing than the SFMM version being literally installed directly over a parking lot, and I've never had Bizarro hit me with anywhere near the amount of headringing that Scream did.

And yes. El Toro! Sadly looks like the kiddo only grew a half-inch since HITP, so he won't be able to experience the joy of the bull just yet, but I have faith that if he keeps eating his Wheaties and drinking his milk he'll make it up to 48" by Fright Fest.

Here's the link...

Thanks. Saw it when I went back and actually clicked through to the articles. Guess Friday will be the most likely culprit for me, then. Just gotta talk to the wife and get her on board... fingers crossed.

I have that weird feeling we'll know which rides they are the day of

I think the most likely ones will be the ones they cut off last year that can easily be closed off again. I'd say major rides in Holiday in the Park areas are likely to be open (except Twister... it'll be broken, it's good at that), I actually think El Toro and El Diablo will be open too. I would bet on Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Safari Off Road Adventure, Bugs Bunny National Park, Skyway and Runaway Mine Train being a crapshoot. Some of those were closed during the bonus weekend last year and the Golden Kingdom can easily be closed off.

I'm assuming this is mostly a staffing thing, obviously I'm speculating though. I wouldn't say there's anything that's guaranteed to be closed but I think those are the most likely areas.

I have that weird feeling we'll know which rides they are the day of

I think the most likely ones will be the ones they cut off last year that can easily be closed off again. I'd say major rides in Holiday in the Park areas are likely to be open (except Twister... it'll be broken, it's goo at that), I actually think El Toro and El Diablo will be open too. I would bet on Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Safari Off Road Adventure, Bugs Bunny National Park, Skyway and Runaway Mine Train being a crapshoot. Some of those were closed during the bonus weekend last year and the Golden Kingdom can easily be closed off.

I'm assuming this is mostly a staffing thing, obviously I'm speculating though. I wouldn't say there's anything that's guaranteed to be closed but I think those are the most likely areas.

that was kind of what I was thinking, so it's one of those things where I am hoping for the best prior to the announcement of what they are actually doing. Kind of hard for me to get up any other day this first week so I'm hoping at least for el Toro and I can deal with the rest being a crapshoot.

This brings to light one thing that I don't get about Six Flags.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

1. Preview Day is a Wednesday and Thursday at a seasonal park that depends on local employees, with opening day on Good Friday. I'm guessing most schools are out for Spring Break, hence them being open for those days. I'm also going to guess based on experience that many of those employees had spring break plans prior to them being hired by Six Flags too.

2. They are literally giving you a two weeks notice. Remember when Cedar Point gave a whole 4 days notice that Maverick's opening was being delayed?

They do the same thing with their hours. They say they're open until Midnight but then close lines early. At Cedar Fair parks when they're really busy they sometimes extend hours (usually during haunt events) and at Cedar Point they give you a grace period at all major rides and close the lines after park closing. Under promise and over deliver. That way everyone's happy.

Magic Mountain extended their hours less than two weeks ago AND added three extra BAF days because they were so busy. Also a park like Cedar Point has thousands of employees that live right on park property. It's very easy to have them stay longer. As someone that use to be a supervisor at a park that had large amounts of young seasonal employees, you can't just tell a bunch of high school kids "Hey we're busy so we need to to stay an extra hour or two even though your parents are waiting in the employee lot to pick you up."

1. Preview Day is a Wednesday and Thursday at a seasonal park that depends on local employees, with opening day on Good Friday.

This would makes sense but it was never presented that way until now. This is the first time Wednesday is being called a preview day. It was advertised as "Opening Day" with no mention of limited availability until I'm assuming they realized they would have staffing issues.

It was pointed out elsewhere that on the rides page of the website a ton of flats and kiddie rides say "temporarily closed" or "not open yet". Most of the coasters (most notably Toro) do not say this so I think we're good. I'm still trying to get there opening day. I'll be severely disappointed if I don't get to hear the Intamin fart, but considering its been closed since November they've had plenty of time for annual maintenance I'm not worried.

I just need to ride a freaking coaster at this point.

feelme.gif.02110ce7650c0733b3e9a91ff1725133.gif

And where did you hear that? If that's true it's total BS. They knew the park was opening in March (I mean, they made the schedule) If they truly have to close on days they're scheduled to be open, they have no one to blame but themselves.

But then again, there's still two weeks to go and they're having a job fair this Sunday. I'm not going to worry yet.

If that's true (which without a source or anything to back that claim up I don't believe for a second) the park will staff the coasters as that is their biggest draw anyway. I'm really not worried. And if they really do close those days? Unless I'm there the day of and they give no warning, it's really not the end of the world.

Cedar Fair understands that the best way to make people happy is to under promise and over deliver. For example, last year Cedar Point had a passholder preview night. They released a list of rides that would be open. Half way through the night they got Dragster going which wasn't supposed to open and opened it up and tweeted that Dragster was open which everyone got really excited about. Sky Ride wasn't supposed to be open but it wasn't windy but they opened that up too! These are the kind of things you should do. Not realize you're going to be understaffed and let everyone know last minute that "Opening Day presented by Allegra" is now "Preview Day presented by Allegra" with limited ride availability.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business but I wish they'd adopt that idea. I would think guests would be much happier to embrace it.

How much does a Cedar Fair season pass cost?

How much does a Six Flags season pass cost?

You have to pay more to get more.

Edited by larrygator

With all due respect I fail to see how the cost of the ticket is relevant here. I'm not talking about paint, maintenance or anything that would increase operating expenses (except the grace period thing but I'm not calling for that, just honesty about when ride lines close).

It would cost the park a grand total of zero dollars and zero time investment to speak of to be upfront about their hours and ride availability.

I'm not making a huge deal about this but those seem like common sense requests, wouldn't you agree?

About Nitro or Superman being repainted, I would love to see both repainted, but im slightly leaning towards SOME of Nitro to be repainted. By some, I mean the queue to be redone, that ugly station to be redone, and the predrop and lift hill to be repainted. No other parts of Nitro really need to be repainted besides the predrop and lift. I also think theres a slight possibility that they could just say F*** it and just repaint the whole ride with a whole new set of colors because people have been asking for years for new colors and repaint, so the park would be knocking out two birds with one stone

im slightly leaning towards SOME of Nitro to be repainted

I agree, they should paint the helix. Just the helix. Just to screw with people.

We all know they should just paint the MCBR, just the MCBR. The MCBR is a waaaay more important part of Nitro than that stupid helix. Its easily the most exciting part of the whole coaster

Since when does Nitro have a pre-drop?

^ We can safely report that stopping completely on the MCBR is brutally painful but sitting out there in the woods in the freezing dark waiting to be released from Nitro's death grip can be incredibly fun with a trainful of looney toons who are marathoning an 80mph hyper coaster in 30 degree temps on the last operating day of the year.