TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^

Dominator is an excellent coaster, especially in the back row. The front row is fun for the floorless effect but really this ride is all about the back with the first drop and drop off the mid-course. Unless you're literally pressing your ears or cheek against the side of the restraint there's never an issue and I find it incredibly smooth for how large and relatively intense it is. It's for sure my second favorite coaster in the park.

So I took my first visit to Kings Dominion today from 2:30 until closing at 10. Even though it was just 2/3 of a day, it was enough time to do almost everything. The only lines were the long lines on Volcano and short lines for Intimidator 305. I305 was down for most of the day and the staff said they probably won't be able to get it ready, but they managed to open it during the evening. The workers were pretty friendly, and the operations were decent. A lot of the park had some nice charm to it that I wasn't expecting. I met up with Coaster Studios and Coaster Fanatic multiple times during the day, so that was cool. Also earlier we stopped at Central Park Funland and we met Clint Novak. I was there to ride their Rock-O-Plane, which was a really cool ride. But back to the actual park. I had a really great first impression from the park, and I'm going tomorrow. Here's the ride list:

Dominator x 3 - back, front, middle rows - This is a really great coaster! It has great hang-time, and it's very forceful. I love how it focused less on inversions, and more on the turns. It's a smooth and addictive ride.

Woodstock Express - back row - This is a nice little ride, and the second drop had insane airtime! The first drop also had some floater air. The rest of the coaster was very mild.

Volcano - front row - The theming was much more interesting than I was expecting. The actual ride is great and smooth, and the turn at the beginning is really awesome!

Avalanche - back row - It's no Flying Turns, but it's a really good family ride.

The Crypt - 8 inversions! Great Adventure's only has 4! And the flips are really forceful, too. Wonderful flat ride.

Backlot Stunt Coaster - back row - It's a little jerky, but it's fun. Nothing to really rave about, but it's fantastic for kids.

Anaconda x 3 - front, middle rows - This was a huge surprise! It's pretty rough, but it's a fun coaster with an excellent drop and great inversions. It think it's in the top 5 coasters in the park.

Flight of Fear - front row - It's a bit rougher than Joker's Jinx, but because of the theme they're about equal.

Drop Tower - Pretty good drop tower. It's better than the 2nd generation Intamin towers, but not as good as the other ones. It's really fast, so that's great!

Delirium - Easily the best flat ride in the park! It's not quite as good as MaxAir and Black Widow, mostly because of the short ride cycle.

Rebel Yell - row 2 - This was another pleasant surprise. It was really smooth, and there was some nice moments of long-sustained floater airtime. I was on the red side and lost the race. It has a great old-school feel.

Intimidator 305 x 3 - back, front, middle rows - One of the best roller coasters of all time! It had tons of ejector air which I didn't expect, and the turns were simply mind-blowing. It may be the most intense coaster I've been on. Best ride in the park by far! 2 of these rides were night rides, which only made it better.

Wind Seeker - I rode this at night, and it was tame but wonderful. It has some amazing views.

Flying Eagles x 2 - A pretty nice set of flyers. There's some snapping, but not that much. But it's one of the better flyers. Nice family ride.

Grizzly x 5 - front, back, mostly back row - WOW! What an incredible night ride! I rode with Taylor and Coaster Fanatic, and we had a great marathon. You are really in the woods and you can't see the track in front of you. It's a little rough, but not painful. The laterals are amazing, and there was some great airtime in the back! This is easily the 2nd best ride in the park. One of the most underrated coasters of all time.

There's the announcement of an announcement, Aug. 20. Looking it up, Delirium was announced the same day last year. There's one every year (although this is a Saturday this time ?!?). Can't conclude anything.

Couldn't see any activity on Hurler yesterday but was getting dark already. Noticed Hurler's first turn doesn't look big at all from Ricochet... My thoughts are that their maintenance has not been consistent with a wood coaster they're planning to keep in operation. But, there are possible other reasons for this, such as thinking halfway measures won't work, or simply priorities.

There's the announcement of an announcement, Aug. 20. Looking it up, Delirium was announced the same day last year. There's one every year (although this is a Saturday this time ?!?). Can't conclude anything.

Couldn't see any activity on Hurler yesterday but was getting dark already. Noticed Hurler's first turn doesn't look big at all from Ricochet... My thoughts are that their maintenance has not been consistent with a wood coaster they're planning to keep in operation. But, there are possible other reasons for this, such as thinking halfway measures won't work, or simply priorities.

Putting two and two (and two) together, I think Hurler is getting RMC'd for 2017. In the video the guy gave three hints:

1. GCI will not be coming up to Kings Dominion

2. Mentioned red (a prominent color of RMC track)

3. Said "maybe you'll ride its replacement" when asked about Hurler.

Now of course I could be wrong but this is my prediction.

Putting two and two (and two) together, I think Hurler is getting RMC'd for 2017. In the video the guy gave three hints:

Hey! I've maintained this prediction all along, even when most people wrote it off! Keep the faith! RMC for Hurler, 2017!!! (And RMC Streak for CP in 2018!)

Be careful! Or you will be criticized for your "Ridiculous speculation"!

Be careful! Or you will be criticized for your "Ridiculous speculation"!

Trying to interpret actual hints when the park is openly teasing something is much different than spewing random crap just because you want the park to get something and it fit properly when you tried it in Rollercoaster Tycoon. Nobody is going to go after this post. If you get called out for ridiculous speculation it's because it's ridiculous.

Hey! I've maintained this prediction all along, even when most people wrote it off! Keep the faith! RMC for Hurler, 2017!!! (And RMC Streak for CP in 2018!)

Yeah I think Hurler will be the guinea pig for Cedar Fair's RMCs.

although people do point out the B&M rattle at some points of the ride.

Okay, nobody can argue that Dominator doesn't rattle in the corkscrews. It used to be a hell of a lot worse, but it's still there no matter what train you ride. It's the only part of the ride where it happens, oddly, but it's very noticeable. Just like that kink in the loop that nobody knows the origin of.

Dominator is easily the smoothest B&M floorless I've ever been on, It's also the best. And I've been on a lot of them.

THIS

I usually stay out of Dominator discussions because I know I'm one of the only people that doesn't notice a rattle, anywhere. Unless my head is literally pressed up against the restraint I've never noticed anything less than buttery smooth. And it's also fairly intense (more than Bizarro and Hydra, at least--up there with Rougarou).

Okay, nobody can argue that Dominator doesn't rattle in the corkscrews

Dominator is easily the smoothest B&M floorless I've ever been on, It's also the best. And I've been on a lot of them.

I know I'm one of the only people that doesn't notice a rattle, anywhere. Unless my head is literally pressed up against the restraint I've never noticed anything less than buttery smooth. And it's also fairly intense (more than Bizarro and Hydra, at least--up there with Rougarou).

Counting me that makes 3 people. So clearly we can.

Announcement on the 20th? Oh boy, more waiting. As for my speculation, if we got Valleyfair's Enterprise I'd be stoked. Enterprises are one of my favorite flats. Possible RMC Hurler? That'd be awesome! And, with Carowinds and Kings Island being rumored for it, I'm gonna say KD may end up getting this 'Winterfest' as well.

As for Dominator, I've had a rattle...once? Twice? It was back in 2012 or some time around that, and I at least haven't had it since. And isn't the kink in the loop from when it was moved from Geauga Lake?

Announcement on the 20th? Oh boy, more waiting. As for my speculation, if we got Valleyfair's Enterprise I'd be stoked. Enterprises are one of my favorite flats. Possible RMC Hurler? That'd be awesome! And, with Carowinds and Kings Island being rumored for it, I'm gonna say KD may end up getting this 'Winterfest' as well.

As for Dominator, I've had a rattle...once? Twice? It was back in 2012 or some time around that, and I at least haven't had it since. And isn't the kink in the loop from when it was moved from Geauga Lake?

That's my prediction: RMC Hurler, new enterprise, and winterfest.

Is it me but would an RMC hurler be kinda pointless? All hurler does is turn right with some hills in between. There is no directional change, the entire coaster barely goes back over 30ft after the first drop, and it has one of the most uninspired layouts. If you look, most rmc iron horse coasters have a somewhat twisted layout to begin with. I just don't see an RMC hurler . . .

Is it me but would an RMC hurler be kinda pointless? All hurler does is turn right with some hills in between. There is no directional change, the entire coaster barely goes back over 30ft after the first drop, and it has one of the most uninspired layouts. If you look, most rmc iron horse coasters have a somewhat twisted layout to begin with. I just don't see an RMC hurler . . .

I agree, I feel like they'd need to add a significant amount of structure to the ride which defeats the purpose of the Iron Horse conversion.

Take a look at the old NE Cyclone's layout. Then take a look at Wicked Cyclone.

No it wouldn't be pointless.

This. But people never learn. Have faith in RMC.

You mean this layout?

1778974826_Screenshot2014-08-07at9_28_13PM.png.fd0b8a58a291ef38e1eaf0251999a90b.png

That has height variation and does more than make right turns? In my opinion, RMC would meet their biggest challenge with hurler as most of their conversions had a layout with character and depth to begin with. We will see . . .