TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

My prediction for the park is that after the food fest move, I think they may put in a dark ride or something along those lines where food fest is now. It's a perfect spot. Also it would be hard to do anything else right there because of the hill.

I highly doubt that they will rip out Food Fest Grove if they are only going to add two catering buildings at the new location. They would have to be pretty big buildings to make up for the many pavilions in the former area. If I remember from Coastin' for Kids, just about every one of those structures were being used during our lunch.

From what I heard they planed on taking out food fest. And relocating it behind white water landing.

I heard that as well, down where Desolation and haunt storage is.

It's where the DIM building was. That building was used for storage when Hercules was there.

My prediction for the park is that after the food fest move, I think they may put in a dark ride or something along those lines where food fest is now. It's a perfect spot. Also it would be hard to do anything else right there because of the hill.

I highly doubt that they will rip out Food Fest Grove if they are only going to add two catering buildings at the new location. They would have to be pretty big buildings to make up for the many pavilions in the former area. If I remember from Coastin' for Kids, just about every one of those structures were being used during our lunch.

From what I heard they planed on taking out food fest. And relocating it behind white water landing.

I heard that as well, down where Desolation and haunt storage is.

It's where the DIM building was. That building was used for storage when Hercules was there.

does this mean no desolation

but if it brings anew coaster i like it

It's official, Thunderhawks buzzbars are gone

What's New

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom will honor its 132 years of bringing thrills and family fun to the Lehigh Valley with a refresh to one of its most historic rides.

ThunderHawk, built in 1923 and originally called “The Coaster,” is being refurbished and will bring a bit of nostalgia back to Dorney for the 2016 season. Renovations include all new trains, and the entire coaster is being painted a sharp white, reminiscent of its original design. Bright, white lights will also outline the classic wooden roller coaster, sure to remind riders of the timeless American wooden roller coasters of days gone by.

“We wanted to retain the historic feel of one of America’s most iconic wooden roller coasters,” said Mike Fehnel, Vice President and General Manager of Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom. “Our thought was to keep the refurbishment as true to its original, classic design as possible, complete with an open air train in the front.” Today, ThunderHawk remains one of the great classic American wooden roller coasters. It’s the eighth oldest roller coaster in the United States, and the tenth oldest roller coaster in the world, and it continues to be a favorite among our guests.

Dorney Park also continues to expand its dining offerings with the addition of an All Season Bottle to its Souvenir Bottle line up. This program, available to both season passholders and day ticket guests, allows unlimited soda refills each time they visit Dorney Park during the current season. This new bottle will be in addition to the traditional single day Souvenir Bottle program offering unlimited refills on a guest's first visit. Guests can then refill their Souvenir Bottle on additional visits for $1.00 per refill.

Thunderhawk-Train(1).jpg.81c7985977187a94ab1b4caef75bfb69.jpg

What's New

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom will honor its 132 years of bringing thrills and family fun to the Lehigh Valley with a refresh to one of its most historic rides.

ThunderHawk, built in 1923 and originally called “The Coaster,” is being refurbished and will bring a bit of nostalgia back to Dorney for the 2016 season. Renovations include all new trains, and the entire coaster is being painted a sharp white, reminiscent of its original design. Bright, white lights will also outline the classic wooden roller coaster, sure to remind riders of the timeless American wooden roller coasters of days gone by.

“We wanted to retain the historic feel of one of America’s most iconic wooden roller coasters,” said Mike Fehnel, Vice President and General Manager of Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom. “Our thought was to keep the refurbishment as true to its original, classic design as possible, complete with an open air train in the front.” Today, ThunderHawk remains one of the great classic American wooden roller coasters. It’s the eighth oldest roller coaster in the United States, and the tenth oldest roller coaster in the world, and it continues to be a favorite among our guests.

Dorney Park also continues to expand its dining offerings with the addition of an All Season Bottle to its Souvenir Bottle line up. This program, available to both season passholders and day ticket guests, allows unlimited soda refills each time they visit Dorney Park during the current season. This new bottle will be in addition to the traditional single day Souvenir Bottle program offering unlimited refills on a guest's first visit. Guests can then refill their Souvenir Bottle on additional visits for $1.00 per refill.

I knew the buzz bars were no more, and also heard retracking was in the works as well. But I'm really surprised they're painting it its original color and outlining the ride with white lights. I think it's gonna look great! It really was becoming an eyesore. Also, the open air front of the trains looks awesome. If only the buzz bars were kept around.

I am quite disappointed to see the buzz bar trains go but, luckily they will be giving Thunderhawk the refurbishment it needs. Luckily I was able to experience a couple great rides on Thunderhawk with buzz bars during my first visit back in June!

What's New

ThunderHawk, built in 1923 and originally called “The Coaster,” is being refurbished and will bring a bit of nostalgia back to Dorney for the 2016 season. Renovations include all new trains, and the entire coaster is being painted a sharp white, reminiscent of its original design. Bright, white lights will also outline the classic wooden roller coaster, sure to remind riders of the timeless American wooden roller coasters of days gone by...

I knew the buzz bars were no more, and also heard retracking was in the works as well...

I hope so too, but I do feel that if they were doing a re-track they would've announced it when they announced the new trains. But I hope they do! Do any of you guys think that they might turn the trims off when they get the new train? (From maybe a difference in weight or something)

Again I'm personally not too upset about the buzz bars, if I had to pick between new restraints and those awful headrests I'd pick new restraints every time (but I also happen to be a fan of the classic PTC individual lap bars). I think the train actually looks really awesome, I love the design for the front car, way better than whatever the heck that thing was that got posted awhile back. PLEASE let this mean they're also doing a full retracking and removing the trims. I don't think the ride would be THAT different with the trims removed, but it would definitely make for a much better ending.

^ The trick is to sit in the front car. Its amazing how much better the ride is in the first two seats. Although with the new trains who knows.

First car is incredible.

I knew the buzz bars were going, but it still sucks to see it finalized. I'll miss that "Going to get launched into Cedar Creek" airtime you get on the second hill.

I love how we're all talking about how Thunderhawk needs a re-tracking and how we're worried it won't get one and then this GCI rumor comes back. If they get a GCI, the same thing will happen. It'll go to hell and they won't re-track it. They can't take care of one wood coaster, why do you want another one?

^ I agree. I would much rather get a B&M Dive coaster or a B&M Flying Coaster. Those are two types I see realistic as of right now because Cedar Fair has really only been working with B&M for the last few years. If it could be any manufacturer though, I would love to see a Mack launched coaster somewhere. I think that it's time that the GCI rumor is dropped. (Although if we ended up getting one I would be siked)

Although it's kind of sad to see the Buzz Bars go, the new trains look great and a new paint job will do wonders as well. I am uber-impressed that they are going with tracer lights! I love coasters with those, and they seem to be disappearing more than appearing these days!

• 2 weeks later...

The article says Dominator, but the security camera photos clearly show Steel Force's station. I don't think Dorney has a flag on top of a coaster.

The park has received a lot of backlash today as they at first decided not to rehire a special needs employee who has been with the park for 12 years. The park reversed their decision after a storm of social media backlash: http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-dorney-park-rehires-special-needs-employee-20160205-story.html