TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Wlll RCCL people have to share the island at the same time as the Carnival people?

No. The only visits were when the island would have been empty anyways.

It still creeps me out though. It's like giving your house to a bunch of partying 20somethings that don't care! I hope RCCL is getting a TON of money out of this deal.

^^Good to know. And its also interesting that, if you think about it, this must have been cheaper then getting their own island. But still, I agree RCCL must be charging them a crap ton of money for them to allow this. I really want to see a statement from carnival as to why their renting a competitors island instead of getting their own.

^^&^ Exactly, Key West basically kicked Carnival out and they share their private island with Princess and there just weren't enough days that worked for the ships to go there.

Both ships were scheduled to visit Key West between Nassau and Florida or vice versa. Even if there was room in the schedule, Half Moon Cay (Carnival and Holland America's private island) and Princess Cays (Princess's private resort) are in the wrong direction, meaning they'd either have to reschedule with Nassau (which may not be possible or may incur financial penalties) or double back and waste a significant amount of fuel. Besides, Coco Cay is much less out of the way than Key West, so I imagine that there are significant fuel savings for Carnival that help offset the payments to Royal Caribbean.

Wlll RCCL people have to share the island at the same time as the Carnival people?

No. The only visits were when the island would have been empty anyways.

Wow, I was terrified there for a second. I do hope they give the place a good power washing and sterilizing after the Carnival mutants visit.

dt

Sounds weird, but then I remembered seeing Princess Cays getting rented out by Oceania and Great Stirrup Cay getting rented out by MSC, so who knows any more. As for Carnival "getting kicked out," they probably wouldn't be stopping there with the Imagination, Victory, Freedom, Breeze, or any of the other ships they own that they haven't transitioned out of Key West stops yet that are scheduled to port there this year. RCCL posted losses in 2 of the last 3 quarters, so maybe they're cutting Carnival a deal that is cheaper than the port fees that Key West would demand? Plus those are the basically Carnival's sh*ttiest boats.

And hey, in positive news, deployment is finally getting announced for 2014/2015 for RCCL and Celebrity. No big surprises yet.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2013/Deployment/13032797-2014-15_Deployment/index.html

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/Deployment_Schedule/index.php

Reuters) - Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd said on Friday that its Vision of the Seas cruise ship arrived in Port Everglades, Florida after 108 people, including guests and crew, fell sick with an illness thought to be norovirus.

The ship and the cruise terminal have been thoroughly sanitized and it will depart later on Friday as scheduled, the company said.

(Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York; editing by John Wallace and Leslie Gevirtz)

http://news.yahoo.com/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-back-port-108-sick-191914459--finance.html

Reuters) - Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd said on Friday that its Vision of the Seas cruise ship arrived in Port Everglades, Florida after 108 people, including guests and crew, fell sick with an illness thought to be norovirus.

The ship and the cruise terminal have been thoroughly sanitized and it will depart later on Friday as scheduled, the company said.

(Reporting By Martinne Geller in New York; editing by John Wallace and Leslie Gevirtz)

http://news.yahoo.com/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-back-port-108-sick-191914459--finance.html

Slow news day?

^ Illness is really a risk you take when you sail no matter what cruise line. However when I sailed Royal Caribbean they had hand sanitizer everywhere! You know Cedar Point and Trashcans, Royal is like that with Purrel dispensers.

It sucks when this happens and a lot of people get sick, but from first hand experience RCCL does a lot to enable guests to stay healthy.

I guarantee if the same thing happened to Carnival you wouldn't be saying that...

If there was a news story about any cruise ship having a 100-person norovirus outbreak I would say that. Heck, I've been at summer camps where more than 100 people got norovirus.

No one mentioned when the Carnival Glory had 208 people get noro last August. The only times a norovirus outbreak was mentioned in this thread were the massive outbreak on the Crown Princess that ended with the ship having to return to port two days early due to 752 people getting sick over two consecutive cruises and the outbreak on the P&O Oriana where 417 people got sick.

I will add that of the 16 norovirus outbreaks reported to the US CDC in 2012 (which doesn't include Carnival's P&O outbreak listed above, since that ship returned to a British port), 11 were on lines owned by Carnival Corp. Only 4 were on Royal Caribbean owned lines. Just sayin...

Edited by ahecht

^I spent a couple of years working in National Parks, and Norovirus popped up every summer. It just kinda happens when you have lots of people together from around the world. It really isn't a big deal, although as an employee you get quarantined which kinda sucked, but to anybody I knew that got it said it was just like the flu.

I guarantee if the same thing happened to Carnival you wouldn't be saying that...

It probably did happen sometime in the last few weeks on one of their ships! It just isn't real news...just like the RCCL outbreak. Some slow reporter just needed space to fill and jumped on it because "OMG CRUISE SHIP STORY!!!"

That's because we'd be discussing how poorly Karnival would have handled it, and how they probably would have treated their passengers like crap...not that the actual virus found its way on board. There's a difference.

Wow, really impressed with Royal Caribbean right now!

I sent an email earlier this week to the office of the CEO to nicely express my displeasure that Royal Caribbean has bowed down to lawyers and sue-happy terrible Americans and restricted the amount of tricks you can now do on the FlowRider. I received a call back today (less than 48 hours after my email) and the person on the phone seemed to have done their research as they knew when and what I had cruised before as well as upcoming bookings I have! She said they really appreciate the honest feed back and have heard quite a few complaints and they're working with the terrible lawyers to keep introducing tricks back to the Flowriders that we'll all be able to learn and do again. As of today there are 16 tricks you can now do, up from 4 after the lawyers go their way, but still way down from the ANYTHING you could do before all this crap.

I really respect companies that respond back, especially in a timely fashion.

^ Wow, I had no clue they were even in a lawsuit about that. I cruised on Allure in May and one of the highlights of my trip was how I progressed from barely being able to boogie board to doing spins and somersaults!

I don't even understand the logic of the lawyers... If I recall correctly I had to sign a waiver before riding the Flow-Riders. And from a common sense point of view, you don't have to do those tricks! The employees are encouraging but in no way pressure you into doing something you are not ready for!

I feel so bad for RCCL, or any company for that matter that has to but up with this Bull.

The issue with the lawsuit was that US Maritime Law prohibits contracts that absolve shipping companies of negligence, so the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeal declared the waivers invalid.

That said, Royal Caribbean did relax the rules in February right before my cruise on Independence, and the memo didn't actually get to the sports staff until midway through the cruise.