TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your Favorite Ride of The 1970's

What is your favorite ride built during the 1970's?

I haven't been on to many rides from this period but so far i would say the Irn Bru Revolution at Blackpool is my favorite from that decade. The launch is nothing but the drops are good and the loop backwards feels more intense than many modern rides i have been on i also found it smooth and i like its retro style.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loch Ness Monster. It beats the crap out of Sooperdooperlooper in intensity (yes even with the circle loop) It's really smooth for an Arrow, and the back has some of the best airtime of any coaster. The interlocking loops provide a nice headchopper. Even with the trim that first loop still pulls a lotta Gs. The layout may not be that creative but it's still fun to ride over and over and over.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland. That is a great ride, especially for families, and is probably the highest capacity roller coaster at Disneyland since it never seems like it has much of a wait.

As far as thrill coasters go, based on what I've been on I would have to say Montezooma's Revenge, although Gemini comes in as a very close second.

I absolutely love Mind Bender (SFOG) and Gemini...two coasters that have awesome layouts and are still butter-smooth to this day.

When were the Intamin 1st Gen Freefalls built? Those are very high up on my "favorite rides of all time" list, as well.

I'm going to have to say like others before me that Mindbender and SFOG is absolutely amazing and still holds up today as one of my favorite coasters and still one of the most popular rides at the park...

I have yet to ride Loch Ness at BGE, so I cannot compare but hopefully I will be getting a chance next year on the IntimidaTour!!!!

I also have to throw in Corkscrew at Cedar Point for an honorable mention...I know it is rough and the layout by itself is kinda boring, but it is iconic with its corkscrews over the midway!

"When were the Intamin 1st Gen Freefalls built?" (DBru)

Those opened in 1982; SFMM's did that year, and I think it was among the first.

Had SFMM's Revolution not been mangled with the OTSRs, then it would be my favorite '70s ride. I've always liked the long layout, and the fact that the loop---its signature feature---wasn't at the bottom of the first drop, but rather toward the end of the ride, allowing the course to build up to it. I also like its unique approach to the loop---that long gradual descent into it.

Eric

Off the top of my head:

Gemini (Cedar Point)

Whizzer (Six Flags Great America)

Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom)

Honorable mention:

Corkscrew (Michigan's Adventure)-probably the smoothest of all the corky's

Demon (Six Flags Great America)

Wildcat (Cedar Point)

I still have to ride coasters like Shockwave, Mindbender, Loch Ness, etc.

I did ride other 70's coasters like the defunct Python (BGT), Galaxi (Indiana Beach), sooperdooperlooper (Hersheypark), just to name a few.