TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^I thought that S&S had 48" as a suggested minimum height requirement?

They do but a park can pick there own minimum height if they want with manufacturer's approval. S&S's towers are also all different heights, so I'm assuming it's not a one size fits all type of thing. I looked up some of the towers and the only ones I could find with 48" as the minimum were the 85 ft towers (specifically the one at Wild Adventures).

The thrill rating system is universalish. Same system used to classify different trails for skiing.

Galaxy theater is still there.

The scrambler and spinning coaster need to stop. Relocating a ride is far different than In RCT.

Relocating a ride is far different than In RCT.

I guess you're right about a park relocating a ride or building a new one in reality isn't like they could just magically plop one down in another ride or attraction's place ala RCT! They first have to plan for it, then consult a manufacturer, then break ground for the new ride, then build it piece by piece, then test it, and if all goes well open it for years to come!

I miss the days when this thread was so inactive that when I saw it on page 1 I knew there was actually real news in regards to Darien Lake.

Now it has gotten to the point where I ignore this thread most of the time. So if something noteworthy happened I'd miss it.

^This.

I don't post often, but I've shown some serious restrain from speaking my mind...until now. Darien Lake is my home park too and seriously reading the nonsense about an indoor spinner is just as laughable as putting up the old standup coaster. "OMG don't you think they should totally put up that standup coaster, I mean it's right over in that parking lot!!!111!!111!"

Is this a forum? Yes. Is discussion good? Yes. Should you be able to express your opinions? Yes. But several members have also voiced their opinion that you, DarienLaker, are filling this thread with garbage. Garbage rumors, garbage speculation. Do ride height restrictions really matter that much to you? Do ride entrances really matter that much to you? Things have been changed, so just deal with it instead of question it.

I'm pretty sure over the years I've lurked on this site before deciding to join that I've read your posts and they never seemed to cross into trolling territory. But you're doing it now. Your info states that you're 24, yet everything you've been saying reads like a 13 year old fanboy whose parents finally granted internet access. Ease up. I am too sick of seeing DL at the top of the thread list just because you like to see it there.

Almost done here...All this talk about a spinner? Really? After all these years without a decent coaster and you're going to put that at the top of your wish list? I'm sorry for laying it all out on the line, and maybe Rob doesn't really like to see a post like this, but I've also seen him be straightforward and stern with aggravating members. Everyone has just been treading around nicely with suggestions for you to cool it, so maybe this is just the post you need to get through to you.

Now, hoping we could get some more quality around here rather than quantity. Time to plan my trip to Cedar Point and be excited about what parks HAVE to offer, rather than sit here all day and speculate during the ON SEASON...I always thought speculation was for the OFF SEASON. Cheers! (Feeling much better)

"OMG don't you think they should totally put up that standup coaster, I mean it's right over in that parking lot!!!111!!111!"

If that old stand up coaster (SFAW's Batman: The Escape) was dismantled properly before it was moved from Texas to New York, then there would be a chance that Darien Lake would set it up as a parking lot coaster behind Grizzly Run!

^Please stop posting so much in this thread. There is absolutely nothing significant enough going on in the park for you to have this many posts. Your posts literally take up half of the last several pages. At this point, you are just posting for posting sake. Consider this an official warning.

Edited by ernierocker

Don't the other 2 closest parks have spinner coaster? MFI has a mouse as well. I see no reason to put one in Darien if the other parks in the area have them. Waldameer, MFI and sea breeze are well within driving distance of DL if someone wants to ride a spinning coaster or a mouse so bad.

I am satisfied with what the park has, sure the coasters aren't the best but if I didn't like the park I simply would not visit and take my money elsewhere.

Decided to go to the Sneak Preview tonight to process my season pass and get my free parking (when you visit before memorial day). There was a lot of new improvements this year so I decided to make a Photo TR and give you my take on the park this year. I call this PTR "An uncomfortably damp evening at Darien Lake."

DISCLAIMER: I know I have a few "UFOs" on my camera sensor. I'm cleaning it soon. And I didn't go to the park last year so some things I may think are new may actually be from last year.

IMGP5995.jpg.fbd733888556e413a08c8d3238d71f33.jpg

Welcome Passholders!

IMGP5998.jpg.a11eb0dcce24d1a2f64a008d6aef182c.jpg

Checked out the Emporium to escape the rain. Typical stuff.

Now Let's get to the new goodness.

IMGP6006.jpg.1c85ebabae89e67e510e8939eedbb812.jpg

The boardwalk is actually really nice and fits in fairly well. Not extremely themed, but themed enough.

IMGP6021.jpg.0c148cd86d539bc0979d0b0b6ab88f5c.jpg

The retro style is quite refreshing.

IMGP6001.thumb.jpg.5e62823ba8e39f14a60cce2bb8ff4752.jpg

New themed mister on the boardwalk midway. Nice touch and will be nice come July!

IMGP6020.jpg.43bd4d1ff5398693b94be16e493979d0.jpg

Didn't get a chance to check this out all lit up as after night fell I was damp and ready to head home. But I'll be sure to come back and check it out.

IMGP6023.jpg.a5b7a982ce2afcc8fb58e5ff7cb46dac.jpg

Giant wheel has all her cars back, which appear to have been refurbished.

IMGP6019.jpg.6726c5dcb378cf62725ff6d938dacbf2.jpg

Skycoaster is now Redhawk!

IMGP6017.jpg.539fcfc40f0d03b1e42be61f44db57d5.jpg

Anchor Bar had a good amount of traffic considering how rainy and dead the park was (and that opening day is actually tomorrow).

IMGP6000.thumb.jpg.ddab6f3bfc8bbd888c8692678d5bbc50.jpg

Here is the newest goodness. Blast Off! And a refurbished and re-painted carousel!

IMGP6003.jpg.52909075b32443e0978f50892d359a47.jpg

However, blast off was not ready to... blast off. They had a PR Intern at the entrance answering questions. It should be ready next week, and the hold up is because S&S still needs to run their tests for approval.

IMGP6004.jpg.b31cdb19fd4806076594732601c7bdea.jpg

But I suspect it may also have something to do with these parts.

IMGP6005.thumb.jpg.06139609a3f4dc9a7b5d0e2c65702e9c.jpg

For the TPR Park Index

IMGP6056.jpg.5dcd67e00ab1f17345491a8ba256a32c.jpg

The new paint job and lights bring new life to this ride.

IMGP6043.jpg.afdcb9effe060eb18f6b8e03bde51b8e.jpg

The first half of predator was actually really smooth, at least in comparison to two years ago. Looks like RMC has helped with some traditional re-tracking. It was still a little rough in the middle but finished strong.

IMGP6034.jpg.4fec06d5950b2ab4a4cc170faf24b4b3.jpg

Silver Bullet is not ready yet, but it looks like it got a spiffy blue paint job!

IMGP6032.jpg.6960f2c96e7d823c56571eb79e72c1e7.jpg

This looks new. Was tempted to use it today.

IMGP6033.jpg.7d42a19cafec964c158302b7b1850795.jpg

Shipwreck Falls looks a lot nicer than it did two years ago.

IMGP6030.jpg.bbbf1a11567c662ab8080eb996609e18.jpg

UFO is MIA, but the new wood and the fact that its platform still stands lends credibility to the rumor that it is getting a lengthy rehab.

IMGP6035.jpg.43a1f674439e4fb92a81a2702024ab5c.jpg

Galaxy Theater is SBNO this year, but the park will still have a lot of shows to offer. I am told that they will be rotating shows throughout the season at the smaller theater so guests can see something new every time they come. I was also told they will have a "Last Band Standing" each Sunday in the Gazebo.

IMGP6037.jpg.ba2922244edafa0bb56e2c6de8cdb7d5.jpg

And we can't forget ignite the night! Too bad it was cancelled because of weather tonight.

20130510_195534.jpg.ee2a0ee660f0f168fb0d90183fb8e69b.jpg

There has been some changes to the air gates in the stations for Predator and RoS (didn't check out Boomerang or Moto). They are welding vertical bars on the gates (the plexiglass is temporary while they finish it up). Plexyglass will remain on the railing in between gates. Predator had its welding finished and clear plexiglass.

IMGP6012.jpg.8f11cf80ac8c6cc2c7ec68c5d07d53e8.jpg

The only new addition to the park that I did not like was new lockers by RoS. And, you guessed it, they make you use them. No longer can you leave small backpacks or loose articles in the RoS station. A two hour single use rental is 0

IMGP6071.jpg.4a47c9801f4c16a2d61262bdffa4e556.jpg

Viper's trains got a whole new look this season!

IMGP6073.jpg.ae71b8e2fdda1509dcb485755d6dcd79.jpg

Sexy vinyl wrap!

IMGP6074.jpg.fbaa23c8c64f7402da09333dcd511dd2.jpg

It looks so good!

IMGP6076.jpg.63f25afb7010c4f6988e05b0b97f9b8c.jpg

The train-car markers were a nice touch. And the ride-ops were very excited about the new look!

IMGP6081.thumb.jpg.2092ecf8bf92d0d12ec0352c3e04e058.jpg

One last look at the new goodness.

IMGP6082.jpg.0a297961279941b32a45bcad6f2e2944.jpg

Time to go home, my socks are wet.

Overall I am really impressed with the improvements for this year. Is Darien Lake as good as Dollywood or SDC? Absolutely not! But I think that Darien Lake has made great, consistent, and family friendly improvements over the past two years!

The park appeared a little behind in regards to having all the rides prepared for the season (only one train operations with the second train nowhere to be found, not even on the transfer track). But I'm sure in a week or so they will be fully operational!

There is some new signage at the front gate that I didn't get a picture of as it was pouring when I came in, but it looks nice.

I can't wait to return in a few weeks and check it out when everything is in full swing!

Thanks for the update. It's already looking like a very different park already. I really like the way the Viper trains look. As far as the relocated entrance, where is it now in the park? Also did they finally repaint the station? It was still shabby looking last year even after they repainted the entire ride the year before.

^ I guess I was completely mistaken. The queue is exactly where it was last year.

However, the putt putt course is kinda in limbo between SBNO and defunct. The greens are still there but is cut off, paths removed, and unmowed. This leads me to believe that the area might be used for something different next year but that is speculation.

They painted the rails and gates in the station, not sure about the station itself as it didn't stand out as good or bad. That shack in the queue though is still a mess.

I think it will take a few years to get the entire park up to higher standards, but progress has been made.

Thanks for the report, Doug! It's too bad about the weather as it had been so nice around here recently.

Even though this park is only about 1.5 hours from my house, I rarely go. I haven't been to the park in about four years now, but think that this might be the year to make a return visit as I really like what Herschend has been doing with the park the past couple of years.

Sprucing up the landscaping, adding more family friendly attractions, new themed areas...and I think that the Anchor Bar addition is a cool way to drizzle in some Western NY tradition! I would have preferred Duffs, but anyone that has ever heard about Buffalo wings automatically thinks of Anchor Bar.

I headed up to the park today, and I was impressed with the new Boardwalk, but the service was just as bad as years before. In about 5 hours, I only got on 6 rides, 3 being coasters. Almost every ride in the park was down at one point. As cold as it was, the Flume and Grizzly Run were running. Most employees were slow and clueless, including the mechanics. One that was working on Blast Off left the electric panel open unattended and little kids were looking at it. Darien Lake wonders why people get injured there. I could keep going on and on with complaints, but I don't want to sound like I hate the park. Once they can get all of the rides running correctly, the park should turn out very nice.

I think it will take them a week to get into the swing of things. Unfortunately I don't think that darien lake cycles their rides as much as cedar point does beforehand, so it takes them longer to work out bugs at the beginning of the season.

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. I feel better missing out on opening weekend knowing Blast Off isn't operating yet. Hopefully I can get out before Memorial Day to get my free bring a friend ticket with my pass.

The Viper trains look great! Especially nice against the black track. I'm also happy about the new UFO station wood, I'd hate to lose a solid flat.

Unrelated: I wish Blast Off had some sort of cap to it, it looks naked!

Thanks again for the update, it's great seeing all of the improvements.

Unrelated: I wish Blast Off had some sort of cap to it, it looks naked! .

When I was walking into the park yesterday I thought the exact same thing, I told myself I was just being nit-picky.

Thank you for the update!

The park looks good! Last year was my first time visiting as part of the Leviathan tour so I do not have much to compare it to. You could tell they were trying to get their selves together last year. I actually like the park to be honest. I thought it would be a fun full day thing with a good group of friends. I would love to go back and see what the water park has to offer as well as ride some of the more unique flat rides I missed due to the long lines we had just to get all the coasters in.

Edited by alilstronger

OH MY GOD!!! VIPER LOOKED AMAZING!!! I have loved the viper ever since i first rode it back in 2008 and I loved seeing all the changes made to it such as the painting it all black to restore its 1980's beauty. Those trains... AMAZING! I remember wishing to see the Yellow train back on the track but those dreams are far away now thanks to that awesome decaling they did. and I also love how they renamed the SkyCoaster. That was rather misleading to some, not many, but some. Maybe its just me but the new logo reminds me of the Raptor at Cedar Point. but i digress. Those few touch ups have really boosted my attitude towards the "Simple" fix-ups they made these sound like. but its the little things that add to a parks stability and in the long run, the popularity. kudos to the management and all others who worked toward making these renovations possible. I am very pleased with my home park and am proud to be a Darien Lake fanatic!!! July, Here we come! (Oh and I cannot wait to see Ignite the Night, I love laserblast and i cant wait to see the new changes!)

I hope this lightens up everyone's attitude towards this thread. Take a second to think about what Darien Lake has accomplished before you go and curse out a few of the people very into this park (DarienLaker...) they just really want to see their park improve and wants the public to know how they feel. Thank you DarienLaker for that! Bring on the bigger, better darien lake (OVER TIME!!!)