TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

CNL gets some great credit for doing a lot of grunt work behind the scenes to fix up these parks. I know Magic Springs and Frontier City got a lot of infrastructure work, new roofs, etc. and I'm sure Darien did too.

Damn, it would be SO EXCITING if we got a couple new roofs for 2017! I'll bring my camera opening day and try to get photos from the giant wheel of our new improvements for you guys!

At least in Tennessee they have goats on the roof. Here we just have rusted nails thanks to the teardrops from Cuda Falls. -- R.I.P.

("I want to entertain myself by posting a bulls**t rumor on here and see how people react. Is that a good idea?" "IDK.... uhh... why not?")

Hey guys, I just got some AMAZING NEWS! Darien Lake just announced to a local news station that they are going to add a Gerstlaurer Infinity coaster back by Twister. They said that the ride will be given a Gabe Newell theme and will feature a virtual queue system where you can play Valve made games (Team Fortress 2, Half Life series, etc.) in the waiting room until it's your turn to ride. Once on board, the ride will feature over 9,000 feet of track (.... anyone get the joke there?) and a record breaking 15 inversions. The track will be painted with a tie die swirl look to it and the ride vehicles will feature the Pepsi logo on the front. On top of all of that, there will be a gift shop at the exit featuring Valve/Steam related merchandise and a Gabe Newell meet-and-greet. I'm super excited about this, are y'all excited about this too? They said construction will start tomorrow and be completed within an impressive 1 month in time for the 2017 season!

Edited by TheAmericanKnight

So while we may not have any new rides this year, what I am curious about for sure is whether or not there will be any new shows. ,aimlessly I'm the "Grade Theatre". Last years American ROCK was actually a pretty fun show and I'd love to see it return - perhaps with new songs and choreography of course! But if by chance they do decide to try and do a show for Harvest Fest again, I'd hope it be something MUCH better than what they had last year - if anyone else saw it and expected something similar to the quality of American ROCK, like I did, then you were likely just as disappointed.

In other news opening day is only 19 days away!

Honestly, I don't think I'll be getting a season pass this year. I've (my parents when I was younger) always gotten one since I was about 3 years old. But I just don't feel the need to spend the money this year. I'm 23 now, and my girlfriend and I have gotten them together for the last 5 years or so, but we're opting out this year. The money, lack of free time (started a new career type job a few months back), and lack of anything new all factor into it. That said, I will certainly also not pay the crazy amount they charge for a 1 day ticket and parking. We usually camp for a weekend in august at the park, also not happening this year. This isn't at all to "spite" the park for no new additions, but more because for the time and money a day at the park costs, it's just not something I look forward to anymore. I adored the place as a kid, but it's almost sad to see how little has been improved over the years and how much has deteriorated. Maybe next year I'll decide I miss it, but for now we're gonna pass. I mean how many of you guys/gals have been yearly pass holders for 20 or more years? Does anyone else feel the same, just not as excited to go? Maybe a year off is all I need? You can only ride the same rides for so long, look at the same things for so many years, eat the same crap food for so long. Darien always had a lot of nostalgia for me but it's growing old and sad as time goes on. Anyone else have any similar thoughts or concerns?

Honestly, I don't think I'll be getting a season pass this year. I've (my parents when I was younger) always gotten one since I was about 3 years old. But I just don't feel the need to spend the money this year. I'm 23 now, and my girlfriend and I have gotten them together for the last 5 years or so, but we're opting out this year. The money, lack of free time (started a new career type job a few months back), and lack of anything new all factor into it. That said, I will certainly also not pay the crazy amount they charge for a 1 day ticket and parking. We usually camp for a weekend in august at the park, also not happening this year. This isn't at all to "spite" the park for no new additions, but more because for the time and money a day at the park costs, it's just not something I look forward to anymore. I adored the place as a kid, but it's almost sad to see how little has been improved over the years and how much has deteriorated. Maybe next year I'll decide I miss it, but for now we're gonna pass. I mean how many of you guys/gals have been yearly pass holders for 20 or more years? Does anyone else feel the same, just not as excited to go? Maybe a year off is all I need? You can only ride the same rides for so long, look at the same things for so many years, eat the same crap food for so long. Darien always had a lot of nostalgia for me but it's growing old and sad as time goes on. Anyone else have any similar thoughts or concerns?
Kind of but I'll still go, some time.

I had a season pass in high school and a year or two after, and didnt get one again until I had kids old enough to ride. In between, the once a year company picnics or day at Kingdom Bound sufficed for us.

I myself am debating getting a pass this season. It's really just more of a time thing than anything else. I didn't travel to many other parks last season, and committed more time than I wanted to at DL. I'm thinking about buying a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass instead and loading up at their parks.

The fact that there aren't any new rides is not a big factor in this decision, but I have to admit that the lineup is getting stale for me. I wanna estimate that I visited maybe around 15 times last season, and my visits took less time as the season rolled on. I'd rather commit more time to riding new things at different parks that I haven't seen yet.

It's a tough decision though, given the pass will pay for itself in 2 visits, which is a steal. In the end, I probably will visit at least twice.

While it is sad to see what has happened to it, I am still going a few times this year simply because there is no way I can afford to go to a park more than 3/4 hours away (college student budget ). However, I am hopeful about the new owners.

I already bought our passes for the year as the cost is so cheap. As mentioned it pays for itself in just two visits. I do agree that the overall ride lineup is getting stale, but I have renewed faith in the new owners to invest in the park. I also have faith the Premier will do good things with what will hopefully be a bigger budget than CNL gave them.

I do honestly expect to see in park improvemen's as the season progresses including better landscaping, and possibly coaster paint or even a new train.

I'm thinking about doing a Western PA/NY trip this summer and will definitely look to this thread for any tips as Darien Lake and the other parks on my list will be new to me.

The back row of Predator is definitely something worth trying. Even if it does kill your back, it gives the best ride.